Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22mm progress rear sway bar, and the stock front sway bar on the ZTS. After a few months, I decided not to like the oversteer, so I wanted to know how to balance that out.. should I buy SVT front sway bar (21mm) or front sway bar that is 22mm (Eibach or others) to even it out?

I know that stock SVTF has 21mm front and rear sway bars.. but normal Focus have different mms for front and rear.. that part i dont understand why they are like that, but how can i balance that out?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You need to get a larger then svt front bar or remove the rear bar to reduce understeer.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can stiffen or soften a bar by using poly bushings (stiffen) or rubber bushings (soften) for the endlinks and mounts..

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just learned that my front stock bar is 21mm.. so with the set up of 21f/22r... is it a neutral setup? because i still feel a littl bit oversteer.. that is, probably because i am running stock struts with lowering springs (I will replace them all in January though).. so if i buy svt rear (21mm) it will even it out? if so, that would stink cuz i JUST bought progress rear bar 2 months ago...

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You could also run a 17 or 18 inch wheel with a 215 width tire. An adjustable suspension/coilover might help out with setting the rear softer than the front.

BTW how fast are you driving??? lol

I know that our cars are pretty nimble in the corners and more evident as speeds go up.

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or if anyone can give me a lesson on what's the difference between understeer and oversteer, and neutral, and what causes them.. i would appericate it, seems like i got these meanings tangled up. LOL

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and yeah i drive fast.. oops.

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also run a 17 or 18 inch wheel with a 215 width tire. An adjustable suspension/coilover might help out with setting the rear softer than the front.

BTW how fast are you driving??? lol

I know that our cars are pretty nimble in the corners and more evident as speeds go up.

That tire size.. I am currently running 205/40/R17 on mine.. I hve an EAP wheels on.. so yeah i will get 215/45/R17 tires in January as well. which suspension kits is adjustable.. what about the FRPP ones.. (which I am leaning to purchase in January as well).

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Here's some definitions taken from Wikipedia. Sorry, I don't have the time to sneak in some lengthy definitions, so I'll leave it to the knowledge experts to do it for me...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer

Once you get your suspension setup next year you can keep the 22mm bar (I have the Progress 25mm) you can play with the adjustment settings to get the car to handle the way you prefer it to. I can't just say set it, to this, or set it to that because everything ties into together (i.e. vehicle weight, height, suspension modifications, tire compound, wheel size...etc.).

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah looks like it. thanks,

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah they does remind me of these classes too.. eh.. lol but they provide good information though.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
You could also try messing with your tire pressures first. More air in the rear tires will make you Oversteer. More air in the front tires will cause Under-Steer (When you turn the wheel you still go straight).

I like to have on command Oversteer with mine. I have the Eibach Rear Sway Bar and the stock Front Sway Bar on mine. In the summer i usually run with more air in the rears than I do in the fronts. Only by 3-4 PSI.

Have you checked into an Alignment? Even when i had the SVT Rear Sway Bar. The car was more neutral with a tendency to understeer.

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alignment was already done..still doesnt make any difference.. but i will just invest in what i was suggested recently.. get new tires, the suspension with FRPP or otherwise, then get an alignment again. From there i will check how it works, should it doesnt help i will adjust to the tire pressures and all that.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldn't think that a 22mm rear bar would cause oversteer, but there are many other factors. Oversteer can be dangerous for a street car. When you corner hard, do your rear wheels start sliding before the front? If so, that is oversteer.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I have the 22mm progress rear bar, and the stock front bar on my ZTS. At the limit there is VERY slight understeer, but if I turn in more, or let off the gas I get a very easily controllable oversteer slide. I also have the full eibach pro-kit springs and shocks.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Just as an experiment, try running 40psi front and 45 psi back.

That's where I was told to start with when I first started autocrossing, and I experimented up and down all summer, and in the end, I wound up back at 40-45- that worked the best.

Mine does feel pretty neutral, but remember, there is no fix for overdriving the car other than to slow down.

·
Registered
305 Posts
or if anyone can give me a lesson on what's the difference between understeer and oversteer, and neutral, and what causes them.. i would appericate it, seems like i got these meanings tangled up. LOL
i personaly like the guys sig that explains it this way:
understeer-you turn the wheel your car goes into the tree you die.
oversteer- your turn the wheel your cars back end slams into the tree you die
oversteer is better cause you dont see the tree that killed you.
[hihi]

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
ha I remember reading that who's sig is that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts