Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was driving last night and my "!" light came on and my temp gauge jump all the way into the red. I don't think it was my thermostat because the didn't cool when I was idle'd or driving. So I parked it for about an hour. When I started it again it rode good for about 10 min and started doing it again. So I stopped the car put the heater on, no more than 5 min later it cooled all the way down and rode fine. My buddy says it could be the waterpump but I don't. Any help is definatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
check your coolant level. but it does sound like your thermostat. c'mon, your car is 5 years old. time to start doing the fun preventive mantainance. if its the water pump, you would prolly be leaving puddles everywhere you go, is this true?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the coolant while it was hot. So I don't think I got an accurate reading. I'm not leaving puddles anywhere.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat to me. The water pump will not cause the problem as you described. Also, go start your car, turn the a/c on and see if your fans are working. If they are, at least you will know they are working, but could still be the ect switch to turn them on at the preset temp. If it were resonably cool last night, even if the fans werent working, while you were going down the road, the incoming air should have been enough to keep the engine cool until you came to a stop. If the fans were the cause, it should have begun getting hot while you were sitting still. Most likely, the thermostat was sticking.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fans all work. I live in NM yesterday it was about 96 all day, and last night it was in the 70's. During the it ran great but afterdark it was overheating hardcore, at a stop and while driving.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I would replace the thermostat, very easy to do and cheap. While your in there, go ahead and drain the antifreeze and put new in. Be sure to purge all the air in the sytem also.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so after a long dats work I have found that the waterpump is leaking very very slowly, and I'm goin to get a new thermostat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks all for your info, I drained the coolant and changed the thermostat and everything is good now. Big thanks to b16sir1991, I appriciate the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts