Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 zx3 hatchback

Just replaced the t-stat and housing, old housing had broken ring around gasket and the gasket had fell out and chunks of plastic remain missing in action. Coolant was almost water, so I drained it and refilled to proper antifreeze/water mixture. Still is getting too hot for just idle/casually driving. I thought my fans weren't working until the other day I finally heard them kick on, but that was when it was getting so hot the engine wouldn't idle. they Hardly ever turn on when I feel like they should at the temperature the engine is at. (anyone know which relay to check?)

Any other idea's where to start, I was thinking of flushing the radiator in case there's plastic pieces from the t-stat housing clogged in there. also I'm thinking the water pump propellers aren't spinning. There's no fluid leaking anywhere as well.

any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the resistor and just by the looks I don't think it's the problem. But I do think you're correct about the fan issue. any thoughts?

[/URL][/IMG]

[IMG
[/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
You on driver side fender leaning over. Open underhood fusebox. The two big SQUARE relays closest to you are for radiator fans, one high speed the other low. Pull them and unsnap the plastic covers off and reinstall them. With car up and running you can push the top contact plate of exposed relay down to complete a circuit and you will then get whichever fan that relay is for if rest of circuit is working. You can tell by speed which is fast of slow. You can reinstall the covers by simply snapping them back on, no need to re-pull the relays.

IIRC the relay closest to front of car is the high speed one, someone correct me there if needed. Thinking as well if one is four pin and the other five the five is low speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked both relays by manually switching them on and they both worked. How do I know if they're bad. Or are they even bad?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts