Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Overheating Question

797 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  scrammer 
#1 ·
I was driving on the highway like normal and when i got off and was stopped at a light i noticed my temperature guage started moving up(normally it always stays in the middle when the car is running)as it was climbing towards the red i pulled over opened the hood and the engine coolant looked fine(besides being a little brown in color)...it was not overflowing or steaming...just a little above the min mark...i noticed the fan was not turning on at all, at that point i shut the car and let it cool down...turned the car back on and watched as it happened again,fan was not turning on, so i let it cool down again about 15-20 minutes....then i turned it on and drove it home...the whole way home while driving the temperature stayed in the middle of the guage, at every light it would go up slightly....when i got home i noticed the fan was working properly again, i need to know what could be the potential problem...could it be a sensor problem, a fan problem...any help would be great...

#3 ·
I would check your fan relay and sensors then your fans , you have a fan issue , If it was a thurmostat it would run hot all the time

Fans are not needed why moving down the road the fans are there to come on why going slow or stopping

If you do replace your thurmo replace it with a 180 out of a 96 cougar 2.0 Zetec

Tom

#4 ·
1turbofocus said:
I would check your fan relay and sensors then your fans , you have a fan issue , If it was a thurmostat it would run hot all the time

Fans are not needed why moving down the road the fans are there to come on why going slow or stopping

If you do replace your thurmo replace it with a 180 out of a 96 cougar 2.0 Zetec

Tom
why a 180 out of a 96 cougar?

#9 ·
scrammer said:
you prolly ask them for the contour simply cuz they dont list an easily accesible part number for our thermostats. but that part number i listed above is the one that i am currently holding in my hand.
I say the 96 Contour because it came with a 2.0 Zetec and came with 2 thurmostat listings a 180 and a 192

The Focus has only the stock heat range listed in the books and at Ford there is no part # for a 180 Deg in a Focus

I wonder if the "part#19378" Is for a Coutour ? Anyone know ?

Tom

#10 ·
Yes, it is the identical part# for the 96 Contour. i just called Advanced Auto to confirm that.
but, if you only have an Autozone near you. it is as follows. these figures have been confirmed as of 12:21pm 7/25/06.

180 Degree Thermostat
2.0 Zetec (all years)
Autozone #15048 $6.99+tax
Advanced #19378 $8.44+tax

#11 ·
ok so i pulled out the wire harness connected to the fans and the wire that had the ressistor pack was totally burnt and cracked, the pack was a little burnt on the connection end...so i drove to brooklyn and bought the wire harness from premiere ford for $77 with tax...drove to plus ford and bought the ressistor pack for $42 with tax came home installed everything and everything seems to be working properly, the fan is going on and off as it should, this weekend i will be flushing and changing the engine coolant and the thermostat...

any suggestions on the brand of anti-freeze?...

i should get a 180 degree thermostat???

Thanks for all the help, you guys helped save me alot of time!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.