Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well then. I changed the t-stat/housing. Went for a test drive Sunday and all appeared well, out on the highway, up hill, down hill, cruise. No issues. Fast forward to driving in to work tonight, it overheats. I’m so over it and done with this damn car. It overheats on flat ground, up hill accelerating it cools off, till you let off the gas, then it creeps up to 110+, Celsius of course. Fan comes on as it should, gauge (I know it’s an idiot gauge), will start to sky rocket at nears 110. It got to 112 and I pulled over, reved it a bit and it cooled off. I’m at a loss at this moment. Water pump? Head gasket? I don’t know. To top it off, when it starts getting really hot, the heater goes cool. It did this with the old thermostat, that had failed open when I pulled it and looked. Not sure where to go with this or what to do. I’m at work tonight till 630 am then I get to drive the overheating wonder home. Super. Not sure if it makes a difference but, one of the hoses going into the overflow/tank, looks to be bubbling. I noticed this Sunday when I did the t-stat change, attributed it to getting air bubbles out as it did this when it was cold. Another thing to note, cap off, cold, after filling it, when revved up, it would just push coolant out of the cap. In my experience, when you rev a car cold cap off with a full resi, it will suck down then push out.

Bad water pump? Clogged radiator? I do not need this stress as I am starting my seven graves on tonight, I just don’t have time to screw with it.

Here is a pic, not sure if it helps or even matters. Thanks to anyone who may have a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will add, the hose that is bubbling into the reservoir is the outer upper small hose. I’ll check it again in the morning when I leave work to see if it does it while cold. I would imagine if it doesn’t, then the head gasket is okay and it’s another issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I went out on my “lunch” (no ones here tonight) and messed with it a little. At operating temp the upper hose was warm, lower warm. Not hot. The smaller hose that was bubbling comes from the top of the t-stat housing. I squeezed the hose for a good 5 minutes till I saw no bubbles, the upper and lower hoses got hot, temp “gauge” was slightly below middle. It’s never sat there before. I guess I’ll now if that actually did something on the 42 mile drive home. Especially since I’ll be climbing the grade up from garlock. Usually hammering it and shifting at 4200-4300rpms I can hit 65ish by the top, so it’s pretty steep. We’ll see.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. On the way home. Peaked at 106c but went back down to 101c. Also, had heat last night, nothing today. Cold air.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can’t climb the grade. Had to pull over. Got to 120c. Sitting here holding at 2k rpm it cools off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, by the way, heater works great at 115c and up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. So all that, was posting as I drove. Made it home. Climbing grade, overheat. Flat ground, runs hot. Above 115c, heater works great. At cruise in my neighborhood, stays at 97c-99c, no higher. Heater does not work at that temp, cold air. I have to drive this thing to work for the next six days, should be going to bed now, but I have to fix it. Anyone have even the slightest of thought? Oh, and the fan comes on/goes off at 102c. If you told me it needs a piece of duct tape on the left headlight, I’d try it. I’m at a complete loss.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
110c just idling. No fan kicked on. No heat. Hold rpm up and it comes back down to 98c.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should the hoses feel pressurized like on a normal vehicle? Does anyone know anything about the garbage cooling system on these damn cars?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So the cooling system doesn't have a bunch of parts. Radiator, Thermostat, water pump, heater core, hoses. Shouldn't be too bad to troubleshoot. I would start with a good flush. Most people just put tap water in the cooling system. I don't know about you... but here in the city I won't even drink that crap. There is a ton a solids and organic material floating around in it. It will eventually clog your cooling system. (ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER IN YOUR COOLING SYSTEM). How did the coolant look when you replaced the thermostat? I would completely remove my Thermostat and flush and flush and flush. Reinstall without the thermostat and see how she cools. Leave the cap off and check to ensure you have good water movement. That should let you know If the thermostat or water pump is the issue. You already know your fan works. 18 years for a radiator is a LONG time. It might be time to get you another one.

Could be faulty thermostat sticking. I know you just replaced it... but sometimes parts come broken from the manufacturer.

You also could have a air bubble trapped in the system.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Burp-your-cars-cooling-system/

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife's car is doing the same thing. A/C off and fast revs make it hot. A/C and low rpms and it slowly cools down. Im blaming the plastic impeller water pump. Ordering a metal one soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, I gave up. It’s an $800 car. I’m going to drive it till it blows up. Already talking with a few dealers on new cars. I’m not doing the pos beater car crap anymore. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't blame you one bit I work too hard to drive a piece of shit car like a crackhead.
Let us know what your new ride is when you get one.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you hear the fan work in low and high speed. If it only kicks on on high speed it will over heat at random. There is a wired plug right behind the radiator that goes bad. I soldered mine, no more random over heating.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
And how most Focus cars get into the scrapyards. They change literally everything but never look at the simple fan electrical.

If the first post pic is as hot as it overheats then the low fans are not coming on, the high kick in later to stop a full overheat into the red and buried needle. Rad fan resistor or low relay. Had it happen once then fixed to never happen again on mine. People would rather burn a car to the ground than change a simple relay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I got pissed off. It happens. Dealing with the va and a now rotating work schedule, which is bs and screws up any hope of a solid sleep schedule. The pic isn’t as hot as it gets, that was just a pic on flat ground. I believe I said earlier it was getting to 120c. Which is ungodly hot.

I pulled the thermostat in the shop at work and have been driving without it. No heat, but it runs cooler than it should. After boiling the t-stat, I found it opens at 210, and only about 1/16-1/8 of an inch when it does open.

Guess I’ll buy a new thermostat. And at highway speeds, the low fan coming on shouldn’t matter, at 65mph even on high, there is so much air coming through that I’m sure it exceeds the fans capability.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the fans do work. Ish. Low speed only comes on if it idles up to the temp, high speed comes on at cruise and stays on until it cools down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the heater doesnt blow hot, when it should, it's usually, due to a lack of coolant. But if low coolant is not your problem, then I would imagine a lack of circulation, in effect a bad water pump. Anyone else think this is the case?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts