Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been trying to figure out my overheating issue for some time. I checked the connection on the resistor and wiring and everything looks surprisingly great. My A/C does not work, however, I tried turning it on and set the fan speed to high and I kept hearing this "click" at the engine. It would happen every 5-10 seconds and my fans were not turning on. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the engine would ever so slightly rev up at the click, and then rev back down. Is this the relay? If so, any way to check them without just replacing?

Also noted, this could be an entirely different issue, but I am very slowly losing coolant. Its over a few months so I'm not sure if I have a very slow leak or its just part of an older car. (115,000 miles.)

Thanks ahead for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"click" might be the compressor clutch TRYING to work....

You've got to LOOK at the engine, and see if the clutch engages & spins the compressor as a FIRST check....

The system is SUPPOSED to increase throttle to adjust for the additional load of the A/C when it engages, if it ISN'T working, the RPM WOULD go up, until the system realizes it ISN'T working and adjusts the idle RPM down again....

Fans working on high A/C is a std. check to see if they both work, HOWEVER, that DOESN'T check if low speed works when the car FIRST starts to get warm...

THAT is what the pigtail & resistor check is all about - getting the LOW speed to work, so you don't have to wait 'till it's REAL hot B4 they both kick in at high speed....

Lots of threads & info on this... SLOW coolant loss IS normal on older cars, it can "seep" from every hose connection as they age, corrode, rubber gets hard etc..

SO - you've got TWO separate issues - A/C not working, and cooling fans that haven't been checked for proper operation....

Check it out & get back to us - or post again with more questions on this thread....

Luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, a little new to this kind of thing. Where would I check to see if the clutch engages and spins the compressor?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The pulley at the compressor ALWAYS spins, when it "engages" the center of it spins as well, powering the A/C compressor....

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would get the A/C checked, sounds like it is low on charge and the low pressure cutout switch is not letting it stay running. If you don't know when the water pump was last replaced, you should look at that as your culprit. If it is too old it may have a worn impeller, which would not pump enough flow through the engine at low rpm's to cool it, maybe even being where you are losing coolant from around the impleller shaft bushing.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Define "slow leak". How frequently do you need to top off?

Top places to check for leaks are at the thermostat housing, at hose connections, and make sure your overflow cap holds pressure and that the overflow itself isn't cracked.

Do you have other overheating issues or just loss of coolant?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Well, I've been trying to figure out my overheating issue for some time. I checked the connection on the resistor and wiring and everything looks surprisingly great.
Looks don't matter, and there is a fuse associated with this circuit. Check your owner's manual, and check the fuse. You might want to swap some relays around if you have one that is the same relay type for another device that you can check works- like the headlights for example. I think the SVT wiring uses the small relay for the fans, but I can't remember.

My A/C does not work, however, I tried turning it on and set the fan speed to high and I kept hearing this "click" at the engine. It would happen every 5-10 seconds and my fans were not turning on. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the engine would ever so slightly rev up at the click, and then rev back down. Is this the relay? If so, any way to check them without just replacing?
The clicking is the AC compressor clutch. The AC probably isn't working very well because there's no air moving through the condenser because the fans aren't working. Then there's the heat from the radiator, but I'd wait on diagnosing that until you get the fans working. The fan should come on with the AC working like it is, and your idle is going up like it should when the AC is on, so that's probably all good. With it clicking so much, it might be low on refrigerant- indicating a leak, but it's not all leaked out yet. That would cause this problem. To bypass the AC itself but see if the fans work do this: unplug the AC clutch, and move the connector out of the way of the belt. Now, locate the low pressure switch which should be in the passenger fender under the headlight. Unplug that switch, and use a piece of solid copper wire or a paperclip to bridge both points on the switch. Tape it up if needed to be sure that it is still making a connection, but not able to short out. Now see if it works. Start the engine, turn the AC on, and within a few seconds you should have a running fan even if the resistor is bad. If you don't, then use a DMM to test for power at the resistor or fan pigtails. If you find power at all these points, then you can assume that you won't find resistance between the fan pins because the fans are fried. If you don't find voltage there, then you have a fuse or relay problem. IMO, I'd check the fuses and relays first before going through all this diagnostic trouble.

Also noted, this could be an entirely different issue, but I am very slowly losing coolant. Its over a few months so I'm not sure if I have a very slow leak or its just part of an older car. (115,000 miles)
Coolant leaks should be repaired ASAP. It will eventually develop into a larger leak, and that might cause a bad head gasket if your current overheating hasn't done that already.

You have multiple problems IMO. Your first problem is getting the fans to work, then you need to repair the coolant leak which might be as simple as replacing the overflow cap. Those do go bad and leak coolant over time. It's a separate issue from the fan though. Most Zetec engines, incl the SVT, leak around the thermostat housing, and typically the housing itself cracks. Look for dried up coolant in this area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts