Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe my water pump has a slow leak , small amt. of fluid under car when left overnight.
Topped it up but now , randomly , not always , temp gauge goes up and goes to normal when heater turned on.
Never happens on freeway. FYI both fans on when temp. up.
WTH is going on ?
Mad as Hell. Last time it was bad CHT
Is it bad again ??? Even with both fans on high temp. only came down with heater on full blast.
I might get a different car !!!
2003 Duratec 2.3 liter.
There is a really nice 2002 wagon with 2.0 for sale. Do those have the good , newer coil on plug 130 HP 2.0 ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
That does sound a lot like a leaking water pump. Why don't you just replace that?

The Duratec 2.3 in your car is a good bit more powerful than the Zetec 2.0 in the wagon you're looking at. At least the Zetec is not susceptible to dropped valve seats, like the SPI engines.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That does sound a lot like a leaking water pump. Why don't you just replace that?

The Duratec 2.3 in your car is a good bit more powerful than the Zetec 2.0 in the wagon you're looking at. At least the Zetec is not susceptible to dropped valve seats, like the SPI engines.
I put Barsleak in it and it stopped for now.
Did the coolant maybe drop enough to cause temp.to spike while idling after a long drive ?
A water pump on RockAuto isn't very expensive.
Should be able to access with passenger side wheel off ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It either dropped enough to overheat, or a bubble of steam made it's way to the coolant temp sensor, which would show hot on the gauge.

I did a water pump on my 2013, basically the same as your car. Wasn't too difficult, took me about an hour as an amateur mechanic. Just watch a youtube video first.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It either dropped enough to overheat, or a bubble of steam made it's way to the coolant temp sensor, which would show hot on the gauge.

I did a water pump on my 2013, basically the same as your car. Wasn't too difficult, took me about an hour as an amateur mechanic. Just watch a youtube video first.
Motorcraft part is only $29.89 woo hoo !
CHT on mine not touch coolant. Screws into blind hole between 2 and 3 spark plugs but you are still right. Air pocket in vicinity possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you replace that water pump it would be a good idea to replace the radiator at the same time. The stop leak is good for getting you home in a bind, but is known to clog up radiators and wear out the water pump seals. It sounds like $$ is tight for you, but a new radiator is like $60 on Rockauto. Recommended if you're keeping the car.

For the wagon, just keep in mind why someone is selling their car. Excluding special circumstances, if one person has owned that car for 17 years, why are they selling it now? Probably the same reason you're thinking about selling yours, it likely has some intermittent problem(s).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you replace that water pump it would be a good idea to replace the radiator at the same time. The stop leak is good for getting you home in a bind, but is known to clog up radiators and wear out the water pump seals. It sounds like $$ is tight for you, but a new radiator is like $60 on Rockauto. Recommended if you're keeping the car.

For the wagon, just keep in mind why someone is selling their car. Excluding special circumstances, if one person has owned that car for 17 years, why are they selling it now? Probably the same reason you're thinking about selling yours, it likely has some intermittent problem(s).
Radiator is new. Replaced it for no reason before I figured out the CHT was the cause.
The old one I opened and was clean and leak free. Chalk it up to preventive maintenance
I'll flush system real good though before new pump.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Is the zetec 2.0 good ? Have a chance to get a 5 speed manual zx3 in great condition ! Do they have a timing belt ? Anything to look out for ? Is it an interference engine ? Use a a belt ? How often to change belt ?
188k miles but in beautiful condition...paint and lights not even faded.
16 inch wheels , manual windows but has cruise.
And fog lights

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had a zx3 5 speed, the zetec is interference, has a timing belt, it's not hard to change just don't let the cam/crank move and Mark them before you pull belt off, only issue I had was the thermostat housing on the driver side, it's fiber/plastic and would/will crack, change coil, plug and plug wires and it's smooth sailing from there.

As long as the clutch is good it will run like a stabbed rat!! Loved that car, it's the sole reason I went up to the mk3 '12 SEL

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a zx3 5 speed, the zetec is interference, has a timing belt, it's not hard to change just don't let the cam/crank move and Mark them before you pull belt off, only issue I had was the thermostat housing on the driver side, it's fiber/plastic and would/will crack, change coil, plug and plug wires and it's smooth sailing from there.

As long as the clutch is good it will run like a stabbed rat!! Loved that car, it's the sole reason I went up to the mk3 '12 SEL
Watching video on one out of time belt broke...Non-interference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was told by everyone that could look up specs that it was interference, just better to treat it as such anyway, if it does go south in motion no worries I guess

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sunday it is mine. All the things wrong with mine I no longer care.
Bad left front wheel bearing , bad water pump , shot brakes , paint going bad. Mismatched tires right front has slow leak nobody can find.
Time to move on to a 5-speed ZX3 !

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was told by everyone that could look up specs that it was interference, just better to treat it as such anyway, if it does go south in motion no worries I guess
True...I will have the belt done not long after I get it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Zx3 things to look at in general

timing belt - it's cheap and semi easy for the intermediate mechanic

thermostat housing - it's plastic, it's crap, it gets hot and cracks, replace it with the metal version from the svt zetec, I don't remember the price but it's right on top, super easy to replace

Seafoam - clean that sob out and it will be your best friend

Driver door latch button - it's the button that is inside the car side latch that tells the car the door is closed, you take a turn and the car goes ding, not terribly important, just annoying

Passenger side motor mount - just like every other focus, it's hydraulic, it goes bad, then rides like shit

Coil pack - 15 yrs old it may need to be replaced soon

Other than that it's an outstanding car

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Zx3 things to look at in general

timing belt - it's cheap and semi easy for the intermediate mechanic

thermostat housing - it's plastic, it's crap, it gets hot and cracks, replace it with the metal version from the svt zetec, I don't remember the price but it's right on top, super easy to replace

Seafoam - clean that sob out and it will be your best friend

Driver door latch button - it's the button that is inside the car side latch that tells the car the door is closed, you take a turn and the car goes ding, not terribly important, just annoying

Passenger side motor mount - just like every other focus, it's hydraulic, it goes bad, then rides like shit

Coil pack - 15 yrs old it may need to be replaced soon

Other than that it's an outstanding car
OK have until Sunday to decide My car has pressure in cooling system and coolant not low.
Temp gauge started going up until heater on.
Question...Though pump has slow leak , why is temp. going up ? Is it more complicated , like my one year old CHT going bad ? NAPA PART.
Head gasket ? Car runs strong and compression check all 4 cylinders great.
What gives ? Also , left front wheel bearing noisier.. does anyone sell a hub with bearing already pressed in ? I could then do it myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Stabbed rat Good one. My mechanic friend says "scared rabbit"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts