Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:

Driving home from college, get into my town about 2 minutes from home, I notice my car running rough... Car was overheating. Pulled over waited 10, then drove it the remaining 1 mile home. Car went into limp-mode the second I pulled in.... Seriously, right when I hit my brakes.

I waited 90 minutes to let it cool off, then I added some 50/50 since it was slightly low. Put the car in test-mode, with it being set to temp, and the readings shoot up quick. Waited 10, turned around and drove 1/2 mile home. Tested the thermostat in a pot of water the next morning and it was stuck.

I installed the new thermo but splashed a little too much antifreeze when removing the rear hose. Got it back together and it wouldn't start... but it doesn't sound of low compression, just cranking but not starting (been having poor gas millage and a CEL but I forgot the code)... like out or low on gas. So I check the fuel lines and I had no pressure at the fuel rail. Traced it back to the fuel pump and ended up replacing it. I now have pressure but still not starting. So I went to spark thinking that splashed antifreeze might have screwed up something.....

I used an inline tester between the spark plugs and ignition coil... no light so I'm going to look at ignition. So I went with the diagnosis of bad pack/ and or plug wires. Replaced and still nothing. I checked the coil-pack pigtail with a multimeter and I have juice going into it, but I still can't get the tester to light up.

With that, I'm stuck. Fear is that I burnt a cylinder when it overheated (Which is why I posted in here), but shouldn't I at least get a spark or juice to the plugs? I want to eliminate things before I write-off my focus and buy a new car... being a college student, I need to save the money.

Any direction will be appreciated.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Summation, it ran until it cooled down and now will not restart, turns over but no start.

So that doesn't sound like it has anything to do with anything being wet, or not that you directly got wet. It could be a warped head and coolant splashing the spark plug, killing the arc and causing a no fire situation.
Pull a plug and see what it looks like. You want a tan'ish color to them. White is bad, lean burn. If it's all white that's a good bet it's burning coolant.
If you have a blow gun, stick it in the hole and blow air in. Remove the overflow cap and see if there are any bubbles (have to hit the right spot to pressurize the cylinder, valves closed). If you see any, bad news.

Could be the Crank Position Sensor. Maybe there was too much heat and it got damaged. The manual trans one is on the front of the engine/trans. It's about straight below the upper radiator hose coming out of the water outlet.
I'm not sure where it is for the auto, I'd assume the same location.

The no fuel pressure thing also sounds odd, maybe just happenstance but I just don't think so. I think something else is going on with the car causing other easier to fix problems. The CKP is a major player and would sound more plausible to me.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Coil pack pigtail will have the constant positive in the center & intermittent grounds at the side wires when cranking (IF the system is working). A/C setting on meter to catch that might help.

Crank sensor iminhell mentions is a good possibility, would kill off spark & fuel pump should only work a short time to 'prime" the system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iminhell... You got it. The crank sensor is completely junked! Torn in two! Plugs look great, btw.

I'm 99.999% positive this will solve the issue.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Glad I could point you in a helpful direction.
If it doesn't solve everything, be sure to post back and ask for more help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts