Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but am unable to find how to remove the overhead console on my 2014 se sedan.

Any help will be much appreciated!

- also, bonus thank you if you know how to remove the 'A' pillar trim.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
There are some screws in the sunglasses holder, then it just pulls out.

As far as I remember anyway.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I can't remember. I got rid of my focus in October and hadn't really driven it since June before that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found this over on ST nation. I am quoting a member from there.

There are two plastic hooks on the front, a plastic clip on each side and two plastic clips at the rear. There is a plastic frame above the headliner that these clips hook onto sandwiching the headliner in between. There are no screws holding it in place.

The plastic clips are pretty feeble looking so don't go forcing anything or you are apt to break them.

You need to push the console forward until the two rear clips release, then push it right and left to get the side clips to release. Once the clips are released you can rock the rear of the console down and off the hooks.

If you have a sun roof open it and you can reach in and get your fingers on the frame and pull back while pushing forward on the console to make releasing the console easier.

I have done it to two Foci now to wire in a radar detector.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, saw that before I posted. Gave it a try, no luck. Perhaps I was not trying hard enough. Will give it another try.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Drop the sunglasses holder then look at the side away from its hinge

At the rear edge where the lip of the glasses holder was at the ends there are 2 small indents, press the end of a screwdriver into these to release the whole thing, then pull straight down as there are 4 plastic clips around the edges

Took me ages to figure it out but easy once you know where those first 2 clips are

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say "drop" the sun glass holder. Are you meaning to open it, so it drops down? Or are you saying to drop as in remove?

If remove, how?

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! Will take a close look tonight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, got it down.
The sunglasses holder had nothing to do with it. In fact, I caused myself problems removing it, as there is a little spring that sprung out. Was able to find and reassemble, seems to work as intended.

Here is what I found. The first response from the ST forum was accurate in describing how it is hung, but the whole slide forward business did nothing for me. There is on clip centered on either side. Using a plastic trim removal type device, I was able to get each of these clips to give. Then the front was able to come down. Those pesky clips on the back needed gentle persuasion to free up. There was enough room, once the side and front clips were off to get to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In order to take that piece out did you remove something first?

Or you just take all out?

What I was thinking is that some screws hold part of that piece and you need to take the inside of the frame first

Can you advice me please

·
Registered
136 Posts
No screws, just clips, the 4 clips around the edge release as you pull down, once youve release the 2 tabs at the rear of the sunglasses tray (side away from the hinge)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Does removing this piece allow you to "hardwire" a connection to something like a dash cam? I'd be wanting to do something like (professionally done, though--I'm liable to break something completely).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Its difficult as they are all permanently live! you really want ignition fed for things like dashcams and there is ONLY fuse 85 in the footwell that is ignition fed. I run a live wire up to the roof from 85 and spliced all my cameras and gps's etc in there

·
Registered
102 Posts
^ true. I plugged mine into the hidden USB port under the dash. That gets power only when the key is on and turns off when the radio turns off when I turn the car off and open the door.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Electric beach, wheres that hidden port? Thought I knew whats under my dash pretty well but never seen one. Would be great to have a 5v feed

S

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's hard to explain, but first you have to take off the side panel on the pass side along the center console. It's about 2 feet long. There is a small door hiding a plastic pin holding it on at the front end.

Search for it on this site. There are detailed pics of where it is. I bought a male to female adaptor so I could plug my usb cable into it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts