Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Overhaulin' on TLC last night and they wanted the car lower with the new springs. So what did they do? Took them out and cut them!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Overhaulin' goes Ricer! I was laughing so hard.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
omg that's bad. you'd figure with that kind of money they'd buy the best electronically adjustable/ whatever coilovers they could find.

wait... what kind of car was it?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
don't remember, it had a giant ugly yellow ram-air hood scoop and the guy was in the army I think, just got back from Iraq.

THIS ONE:

Uncle Sam's Nephew

David never had enough saved to fix up his '68 Firebird. After high school, he joined the Marines and served three times in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now that he's back and enrolled in college, Overhaulin' is going to give him a little surprise.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha life's a bitch. Finding that out one day at a time.
Sometimes I just want to let it all go and join the air force.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Shadowrunner said:
i never got a car from overhaulin' when i got back from iraq! that isn't fair! lol
Face it, if you don't live in the greater LA area, your chances of getting overhauls are slim to none.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cutting Springs isn't a ricer thing to do. Just because all of the honda kids do it, doesn't mean that it should be branded ricer, especially if it's being done to a classic car like that.

Cutting springs has been done for a long time, like all the way back to when everyone on the block wanted a new '68 Firebird.

While it is not recommended, I'll bet that cutting springs for a '68 Firebird is safer than performing that same operation on any FWD vehicle with MacPherson Struts.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Now that he's back and enrolled in college, Overhaulin' is going to give him a little surprise.
IE, he'll be alarmed at the bad ride quality and shocked when his car goes in the ditch.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its not that bad to cut 'em. Like Violated said, people have been doing it for a long time. If its a standard rate spring its not so bad. If its progressively wound...not such a good idea. Hopefully the dude just cruises in his 68 and he doesn't try to track it. While I see the cutting as acceptable for the weekend hotrodder, its totally unacceptable from somewhere like Overhaulin' considering the amount of money/donations they get on other cars.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they overhaul your car but you still pay for it. Gift taxes, gotta love the government.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
your serious!??! wow thats stupid...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Disclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to me or received by me by reason of my participation in the program and I release and indemnify producer from any liability therefore. I also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
wow....that sucks...so he had to pay for all of that and then get a shitty spring job...wow...very sad

thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's pretty much how life is with anything you receive that is more than 10G I think (depends where you are specifically, state laws etc.). At that point, it's considered income. God Bless America, land of poorly managed tax money.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Overhaulin' cars look...alright...I guess. They do a lot of cool paint jobs and I guess it's kind of cool to put a big screen in your trunk...though I don't sit in my garage when I watch TV very often. They never do anything to the engine so it's not that big of a shock that they cut the springs imo. It's kinda funny though because you know most of the cars they "pimp out" have about a month of life left on the motor. God can you even imagine how shittily a car with 200,000 miles on it would ride with cut springs?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
^^^^^ Ummmm... you must be thinking of Pimp My Ride or something because on Overhaulin' they absolutely "do something" to the engine!!! I have yet to see them put a TV in someones trunk... Chip Foose's cars are nothing short of a work of art!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Overhaulin =\= Pimp my ride.

They port and polish and chrome everything in the engine bay. and that's when they don't just drop a vette engine in.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I thought on that one they just heated the springs up so they compressed a little, I don't remember them actually cutting coils off (or maybe I'm thinking of another car). I definitely remember them taking a torch to someones front springs, but not actually cutting them. And I was so glad they took that god-awful hood off of that firebird.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts