Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my focus to a lube place and they said it took all 5 quarts of oil and i know my zetec only takes 4.7 or something like that. what can be the potential effects of this overfill? thanks

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
what they should ahve done was filled it with 4, cranked the engine, let it run for a minute, then filled in the extra .5-.7 quart of oil in.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i don't think it would cause a major problem, but you should have them drain it back out so it's about 4.5qts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about .5-.25 over

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about 0.25, but if I had it 0.50 over, I would take some out. Doing it with the drain plug might be a bit messy and difficult to control. Since I have a "Mitey Vac" hand vacuum pump with a small reservoir for bleeding brakes, I would just snake some small plastich tubing down the dipstick tube and suck it up to get a pint out (on a cold engine of course). Without a mity vac, I guess the drain plug is the only answer.

How bad is overfill? Dependson the particular engine design. Some engines don't seem to mind, others are more sensitive. The main issue is that you can get too much splash, such that the oil becomes aeriated and foamy, reducing lubricating quality, oil pressure, and potentially getting oil into the breather (PCV) system where it doesn't belong.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had an overfill on my previous car and oil started to spill out from the valve cover gasket after a week.So I had to drain some oil and replace the gasket.Better drain some oil .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts