Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

New to the forum, hoping you all could help with a question. I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on purely this topic. I didn't see much in the other "issues" forum that specifically answered my question.

For those of you with the 1.0L engine mated to the 6spd manual transmission, how reliable has the vehicle been for you over the past few years? Any major issues that seem to plague the 1.0Ls and this transmission? When you search the internet, you read nothing but horror stories about the Focus but 99.9% of these stories reference the dual clutch transmission. I hear some good things about this drivetrain but its all from the European market.

I'm in the market for a new(er) used small sedan and I'm intrigued by how bleepin' cheap these things are being listed for, like 40% less than a comparable Corolla or Civic, etc. I realize Ford cars are likely going to tank in resale value once Ford "officially" discontinues sedans, but I'm interested in a car that will last a while so I'm not that concerned about depreciation resistance. As of now I see multiple listings for 17-18 Focus SEs with the 1.0L/6spd with 25k-ish miles for $10-12K (even at Carmax!). A local Ford dealer even had a new 2018 listed for $14K a few months ago.

Appreciate everyone's insight!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mechanically, not many people have had any noteworthy issues. Some here have over 100k miles on their cars without issue, just maintenance.
Some of the early ones had some cooling issues, other than the recent recall on the clutches nothing to speak of tranny wise.

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I turned mine in for trade in, it had around 63K as I recall and it was perfect. Showed no wear, no squeaks....great car. I wondered about the long term reliability, but it gave me no reason to.

·
Registered
477 Posts
~147,000 miles on my 2015 (bought with 43 miles.) MANY 1000+mile roadtrips through mountains and flat lands so I'll chip in.

For a sense of maintenance history, I do the basic "the works" maintenance from Ford dealers that consists of the semi-synthetic oil 5w-20 oil change, tire rotation, and general fluid fill up/inspection every 5000 miles. There's been a few times I went up to 7500miles between it. Everything else is "on-schedule" like cabin and engine air filter, spark plugs, etc. In fact, I'm coming up to another big maintenance refresh at 150,000 miles. (FWIW; I can do the maintenance myself but it's just easier and sometimes cheaper to drop it off at night at the dealer and they're done with it by 9AM the next day. I don't want to deal with working on cars anymore after my last one.)

Rear brake pads were toast and replaced at 130K miles this summer. Front pads looked like they had another 30K in them. Replaced them all because I didn't want to do the front pads this year and they're only like $47 for OEM front pads.

Now for the meaty things, overall I haven't really had any issues. The water pump was replaced under warranty around 25,000 miles but it's about it (unsure if it was the service writer that was just trying to get money or if it was actually leaking but hey free water pump.)

I've had issues with the factory Sync and bluetooth, causing me to pull the fuse for the Sync to reset it. (Issue was with 4 different phones too so I know it's not the phone.) Normally it's one of those "whatever" thoughts but it would happen at least once throughout a 5000-mile road trip - pretty annoying when you have to pull off an exit and look like you're stashing something under the passenger glove box because that's where the fuse box is.

I'm also starting to get some rattling by the rear deck but that might have something to do with me screwing around with the aftermarket amp/sub/wiring back there.

Overall experience with the 6MT is pretty good, and maintenance is very basic and cheap which is great (especially compared to my last car....$250 for aftermarket pads closest to OEM.) There's really no [performance] aftermarket for these cars so you don't really have to worry about anything modified then put back to stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
67k on mine and have had it for almost 1.5 years. Bought it with 18k. Just recall work done on the clutch and that's really it except for the sync issue above. I replaced the fuses as one looked burned a little. Has not had issues since. Only issue I have is going from a lincoln to a focus lol. Gas mileage though has made up for that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please post your mileage with oil change interval and oil name. Autobild tests this engine in 2015 in almost pedal to the floor mode and after 60k miles parts was pretty good:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only have 25,000 on mine and I’m very happy with it. The dealership has been doing my oil change every 5,000 miles and I have had zero issues with the car.
Has anybody had issues with carbon build up on the intake valves? This may be an issue in the future.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Hi everyone-

New to the forum, hoping you all could help with a question. I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on purely this topic. I didn't see much in the other "issues" forum that specifically answered my question.

For those of you with the 1.0L engine mated to the 6spd manual transmission, how reliable has the vehicle been for you over the past few years? Any major issues that seem to plague the 1.0Ls and this transmission? When you search the internet, you read nothing but horror stories about the Focus but 99.9% of these stories reference the dual clutch transmission. I hear some good things about this drivetrain but its all from the European market.

I'm in the market for a new(er) used small sedan and I'm intrigued by how bleepin' cheap these things are being listed for, like 40% less than a comparable Corolla or Civic, etc. I realize Ford cars are likely going to tank in resale value once Ford "officially" discontinues sedans, but I'm interested in a car that will last a while so I'm not that concerned about depreciation resistance. As of now I see multiple listings for 17-18 Focus SEs with the 1.0L/6spd with 25k-ish miles for $10-12K (even at Carmax!). A local Ford dealer even had a new 2018 listed for $14K a few months ago.

IK its a few months old thread, but as long as you know this isn't a fast/ speed racer motor & your good w/ that & its all 'bout mpg for & foremost, then go for it.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I learned how to drive stick on this car and it rocks, I dont drive lightly and the car is amazing, no issues yet. 37,000 on the OD and still spins tires when it rains

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone-

Got about 52k and 2.5 years on mine now. Oil change every 5k - 7k with 948B spec oil. Engine was originally spec'd for that in Europe and since I plan on keeping it till it falls apart I figured I'd stick with it.

One minor software issue early on that was resolved with an update. Mechanically, everything has been fine since my purchase in July 2017.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts