Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not quite but pretty close.

I just got back from a week long trip to southern Utah and northern Arizona and managed just under 46mpg over a trip lasting 1770 miles.

On one tank I went 578 miles on one tank with about 52 miles on "E" before stopping to add about 1.9 gallons from a gas can. I then drove the remaining 41 miles to Hanksville where I refilled my tank and gas can with 13.18 gallons. So I didn't run out of gas and was just 22 miles shy of 600 miles -- if I'd driven more of the tank at more modest speed I can safely figure on making 600 miles on a tank.

On this trip I had three tanks in a row over 500 miles (512, 551, and 619).

My net average mileage for over 35K miles is now 38.7mpg.

Brian

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Wow that's some range.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My net average mileage for over 35K miles is now 38.7mpg.
That is *exactly* my average for my first 750 miles. Hit 41 mpg one time during a ride home, but then it tanked (heh) down until it stabilized at 38.7. I was really hoping to get it to 40mpg.

I hate having to go refuel twice in one week for my commute (one work week). Wish I could have it last with just one tank, but alas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Uhh, I average 31.4ish mpg and have to refill every 3days or so... 100mi round trip just for work at average 75mph. (max speed 81, and passing at 100+)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I average around 30 mpg on my 80 mile round trip commute. It's combined city and freeway and at least once a week I hit crappy traffic going to and from work that doesn't help anything. But 30 mpg is a win in my book.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm doing good to get 300 miles to the tank on summer gas, 275 in winter. Almost all city driving, I fill up when I get about 50 miles to E. Wish the tank was bigger.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The only way I could do this on my car would be if I turned off the engine for the last 200 miles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The only way I could do this on my car would be if I turned off the engine for the last 200 miles.
I am getting 35mpg on my brand new focus, so I am already getting up there near 400 miles a tank. I doubt I will get a lot better. Beats the hell out of the 16mpg I was getting in my Xterra though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am getting 35mpg on my brand new focus, so I am already getting up there near 400 miles a tank. I doubt I will get a lot better. Beats the hell out of the 16mpg I was getting in my Xterra though.
for sure

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Uhh, I average 31.4ish mpg and have to refill every 3days or so... 100mi round trip just for work at average 75mph. (max speed 81, and passing at 100+)
I feel your pain on the 100 mile round trip and filling up every 3 days.

Beats the hell out of the 16mpg I was getting in my Xterra though.
Was yours yellow? I miss my obnoxious SUV. But not really - my parents have it now and it's pretty much falling apart...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Same with the one I had. In the 5k mi I had it, I couldn't get 400mi out of a tank no matter how hard I tried...even 100% interstate with no significant traffic going right at the posted speed limit through entire tanks.

Well over 500mi is pretty impressive for these cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 200+ mile round trip commute (no kidding!) that includes lots of hills and three stretches of stop and go traffic each way. I have discovered that if I accelerate gently and limit my speed to 65, that I can average 40 mpg.

Still have to fill up three times in a week. There is another posting about a 62 liter (16.3 gallon) gas tank on the European models. I would consider it if it was a drop in replacement. Doubt it though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I feel your pain on the 100 mile round trip and filling up every 3 days.

Was yours yellow? I miss my obnoxious SUV. But not really - my parents have it now and it's pretty much falling apart...
Nah. I had a 05 in Super Black. The X was good with repairs for the first 9 years. But as soon as she turned 10. By golly what a mess. Funny thing I had just had the Nissan dealer reset my SES light(3 dealers swore nothing was wrong) before I traded it in and I got near full value. But their mechanic gave it a clean bill of health. It obviously wasn't running right though. Rough idle and little weak.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have a 200+ mile round trip commute (no kidding!) that includes lots of hills and three stretches of stop and go traffic each way. I have discovered that if I accelerate gently and limit my speed to 65, that I can average 40 mpg.

Still have to fill up three times in a week. There is another posting about a 62 liter (16.3 gallon) gas tank on the European models. I would consider it if it was a drop in replacement. Doubt it though.
Man that's good MPG. Are you commuting on the 91 into OC or the 10 to LA? I'm doing around 80 miles a day from south OC to LBC and back on the 405. I've managed to get my MPG up to about 32 now and hopefully with the new AEM filter I purchased I can improve a bit more.

What octane gas do you run?

·
Registered
53 Posts

My round trip is just under 200. 25% at 75 mph, 75% at 60 mph. All highway.
Mpg between 37 and 40 with 5 speed. Usually fill up at 400 miles

·
Registered
58 Posts
Driving mainly around town, back roads, and the main drag(which seems to have stop lights for its stop lights) I can average 30-32. Now highway driving (55-65mpg) 36-40 seems to be a consistent range. As soon as I start cruising 70mph+ I stick around 35 to 36. Also, once i added my kn drop in, j2 exhaust, and started running 93 that definitely helped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man that's good MPG. Are you commuting on the 91 into OC or the 10 to LA? I'm doing around 80 miles a day from south OC to LBC and back on the 405. I've managed to get my MPG up to about 32 now and hopefully with the new AEM filter I purchased I can improve a bit more.

What octane gas do you run?
My commute is the 15 to San Diego.

I'm using regular. I use the cruise control t to keep my speed at about 67 mph on flat and downhill sections. I accelerate gently to about 75 before long uphill sections, then I let the speed "settle" to somewhere around 60 mph for the uphold. My objective is to keep the transmission in 6th. I could use the S mode but I'm just as content to sit back and let it do it's thing in D.

Without the cruise I wouldn't be able to keep it under 75. The car is eager to just go.

Stop and go really eats at the gas mileage.

Using regular, any brand. Everything is stock. 17" wheels, keep my tire pressure at 38-40 psi.

That's about it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
bassman54 Yeah the stop/start traffic definitely kills it for me too. I hit stop/start traffic about 2 days a week in both directions so I think that's what does me in for anything better than what I'm getting.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bassman54 Yeah the stop/start traffic definitely kills it for me too. I hit stop/start traffic about 2 days a week in both directions so I think that's what does me in for anything better than what I'm getting.
Yeah you can be averaging over 40mpg for most of a tank, but it doesn't take very many miles of stop and go driving to drop you down towards 30mpg.

Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts