Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 01 zx3 i have an XM radio mounted n plugged into the outlet. I left for vacation one day and left the XM plugged in, and when i came back my battery was dead. The outlet allows current to flow even when the car is turned off and the key is removed, so now every time i turn off my car i have to unplug my xm. I'm afraid Im gunna wear out or break the outlet if i'm inserting and removing my XM two or three times a day. My idea is to install a switch that allows me to turn off the outlet. How and where could i install the switch so it doesn't stick out and is in plain view, but its still easily accessible and looks at least semi-professional? pics would be nice please [:)]

here's a pic so u can see where the outlet is and everything

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah just ulplug the Connector for the Cig lighter and run the two wires to a switch....power the switch and....Voala!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You should be able to find a power cable for the radio, that has a switch built into it's plug.

But you still need to remember to turn it off all the time. A better solution would be to install another power outlet somewhere, that was only powered when the ignition was on. You could also rewire the stock outlet to operate that way. An audio shop could do that for you if you're not into wiring....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts