Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
First question would be why? Nothing you can do in there to fix anything if bad. And each ball is matched to its' hole once apart. The outer case wears and must be rewelded and remachined to rebuild, or new outer. Same for the inner hub. If the balls have visible damage they are junk.

Yes, comes apart or no way it could have initially been put together. Snap ring like driver side inboard holds hub to shaft but quite a bit tighter and more force used to remove it. The balls remove by tilting joint way to one side, there may be a slight cutout on one location to ease ball removal. Some do some don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need a new boot on the outer and I don't want to pull the entire half shaft out. Not many years ago the outer joint was just splined on the shaft with a circlip. Just wondering. if that is the case then I can change the boot. with out dumping all the atf.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Raise car that side only and no or little ATF will dump. If you bang on shaft the inner may come out of trans easier than that outer end come off. They still attach outer end like you think. spline and clip. Thinking clip has deeper engagement in shaft though, with those you vary amount of holding power by thicker/thinner clip wire and groove depth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts