Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my friends we bought a 04 SVT, and spent many weekends(they all have normal work and live far from my warehouse) to get the car done. Last Saturday and Sunday is our first event, we build the car for chumpcar but our goal is to upgrade it for NASA WERC or even 25hr if we can make it there.

I am the only one that had w2w racing experiences, and all my other drivers and crews are track day guys, so we are very new. I am doing my best to put the team together and hope to have fun, and building experiences for bigger races.

With ChumpCar we can't do much upgrades to the car, a set of new OEM suspension, H&R race lower springs(SVT stock springs are better than those, we gonna switch back), wheels and tires. Removed all interiors, put a seat from one of our driver's track car, safeties that meet regulations. Hawk HP+ is the best pads we can find for this car which is pretty sad, they used to make Blue but discontinued, but somehow they worked pretty good. TC Design did the cage, and I hand made all the dashboard, stock dash can't be put back, cage is in place where the dash should be seated, they did the cage without dash.

It's a damn how weekend, we blew a trailer tire on the way to track on tech day, but managed to catch up the tech inspection.

Race day was crazy, no one else in my team has any experiences, most of them didn't never run with NASA so they barely even see how race teams work. I went out first, and bring the car back, after that I need to take care so much things and forgot to arrange a guy to torque wheels everytime we have driver change. On 3rd shift we lost right front wheel and all 4 lugs are gone, ran off track and fired the grass. Luckily it happened at turn 2 and fire truck came right the way, burned most vacuum hoses and some wires at the back of the engine bay. Good thing is we have a Orelliy right outside of the track and they magically have all lug bolts and nuts we needed, but without hydraulic press I can only hummer them back in, and I knew they won't be seated perfect but should be able to take us to the finish line. And yes we finished the first day, [popcorn].

Day 2 started very well, I ran first shift, and leave the 2nd car 2 laps behind. Handed the car to 2nd driver and has big confidence that we gonna finish with good result. But.........2 wheel studs broke again, but lucky this driver felt something wrong and went back to pit without having wheels fly again. But this time I can't really do anything because I realized the wheel hub is cracked, can't save it. So we seated down, had some Chinese tea for rest of the day before we pack home.

Great experiences for all of us, especially my team mates, we are confident we can do much better next time. And I'd like to thank Bill from ChumpCar, gave us big help while our car is down. I'v done Lemon too with another team, and felt Chump Car is much more friendly and race like event compare to Lemon, while Lemon is still fun.

We are going to Laguna Seca event in NOV, if any of you guys are going, come say hi.[welcome] And I am very happy to join you Focus community[ffrocks]

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few more pictures

Attachments

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Looks like a great time! Plenty of learning to go like all things, but it adds to the challenge.

What brand lift is that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a great time! Plenty of learning to go like all things, but it adds to the challenge.

What brand lift is that?
Quickjack, not so much a quick thing, but works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One question, how many miles can you guys get on track with one full tank? Before the race I expected close to 2 hours per tank, but ended up it can go one hour and half the most, then the light will come on, that's about 10 gallons. So I am wondering if we have something wrong with our car or this is normal? Race organizer mentioned this car should be able to make 1 hour and 50 mins per tank, which makes me wondering.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Pretty sure we were making almost 2 hrs runs in ours, I'll check with the owner of the car. I can't remember off the top of my head. I just know we're out there for about 2 hrs non stop.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yes we got right about or below 2hrs. Matters what track. Looks like you need to get an extra set of hubs for quick bearing changes. If you need any pointers or tech help hit me up.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Well worth it^^^^^^^^ Love you guys are running a svtf, that is awesome,,,,,,,,,[thumb] Keep up the hard work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you search focus svt lemons on google my car should be the first one under images.
Nice I really like your color, one of my favorite combo. I'v done lemons once at Sears Point with my other team and a Honda Civic few years ago. Much more cars, it was 160+ at that weekend, crazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you search focus svt lemons on google my car should be the first one under images.
BTW, I just got the car recently for ChumpCar, I'v been doing lots races the past years, but all my other members and crews have no experiences with w2w race. But since they all like track days, I am trying to build a enduro team that everyone gonna have fun. And later one we planning of use this car to get competition license, and possibly doing NASA WERC, so we gonna drive this car for while. I don't have experiences with this car, is there any common issue or weak part that I need to get it upgraded? obviously the wheel hub, anything else? Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
put some ARP wheel studs. I do circle track mainly, but I work on a chumpcar that my sponsor races at road America, autobahn country club etc... he runs the D-Tec engine. also there are quite a few better options for braking. depending on what size wheels your are running. tires are also HUGE in this racing figuring out a tire game is great in any racing im sure you are aware.
a well developed pit is a huge way to make chump better. a couple extra hands always help. definitely look into some spares!
any more ? post them up seem there are a few guys read to help with insight on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a ZX3 that we run in Chumpcar. Our first two races we broke the RF hub each time. We now carry a spare set with us just in case but we have not had a single issue since we made a few changes.

• Disc Brake Australia rotors on the front. The combination of the material (proprietary steal mix) and the ‘kangaroo paw’ cooling vanes on the inside is amazing.
• Torqued axle nuts to 240 ft-lbs. Yes the spec is 200 but when things got hot, the torque on that nut dropped very quickly. After some testing and getting the brakes to temps were we hurt a set of rotors, we found that 200 hot is right around 240 cold.
• Bolted a Porsche 996 brake cooling vane to the front LCAs. Ran this for the first time at Watkins Glen in May and the results were fantastic. It needs some material trimmed away to fit. With this the brakes were there 100% every time. Gaining yards and tenths on almost every car every time we got to a heavy brake zone is a feeling you can never get enough of.

Now, that being said we need to gain all that time because we are pretty abysmal in a straight line but we are working on that. Glad to hear there is another Focus in the mix. If you have any questions or looking for some information from a team who has had their car for a bit, you can PM me here or get ahold of RedShoeRacing on the Chumpcar forums. If I don’t know it, I can point you in the direction of another team that probably does.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts