Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or have the original spark plug part number for the SVT? I've searched thru a bunch of threads (including the "Ask your spark plug questions here..." TWICE, since it's STICKY'D TTWWIICCEE)...

.....ok, maybe I didn't really read thru it twice [giggle]... I've checked the Owners Manual, and the SVT supplement.... NOTHING! You can't trust the parts places because they all show something different for the SVT. Hell, one of them I looked at showed 4 different Motorcraft plugs for the SVT, and had them all in the stock category!!!

Anyway, sorry to rant, just looking for some documented proof of the original SVT spark plug. Thanks in advance....

BTW, I've already got a set of AZFS22C's for anyone who thinks that these are stock...they're not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you are looking for motorcraft part # SP-524. The previous part # is SP-487. The SVT does have its own plug. I believe this one has a colder temp range then the regular zetec motor plug. They aren't cheap. I ordered mine from Oreilly's for about $9 per plug.

Good luck,

Darren Needham
03 ZX5 SVT / CD Silver / 118k

·
Registered
181 Posts
http://focus.c-f-m.com/motorcraftco...04fordfocuszetecsvtst170withnitrousboost.aspx

I realize these are not the stock plugs, hear me out
Based on the description for those plugs it says the stock SVT plugs were of the same temp range but platinum. I think CFM sells them but they don't show a MC p/n for them.

Rock Auto lists a MC p/n sp487 but I can't find any info to say if they are plats, or copper cores, or what.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
The AZFS22C changed to SP463 now are a very cheap but good spk plug to run in the SVT if you are doing ANY performance mods at all there isnt another spk plug that I would run

Tom

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are looking for motorcraft part # SP-524. The previous part # is SP-487. The SVT does have its own plug. I believe this one has a colder temp range then the regular zetec motor plug. They aren't cheap. I ordered mine from Oreilly's for about $9 per plug.

Good luck,

Darren Needham
03 ZX5 SVT / CD Silver / 118k
Thanks Darren, that's somewhat the same info I found out also (SP-524)...but the first that I've heard of the SP-487. And this is the info that started me on the quest of the true 'original spark plug' number. This is what I've come up with so far:

SP-487= AYFS092FEC
SP-524= AYFS092FE1
SP-463= AZFS22C

Seems to me the "hott one" (pardon the pun) would be the SP-487/AYFS092FEC, listed as extremely cold, platinum tipped AND copper core!! Maybe some are avail somewhere????

I realize these are not the stock plugs, hear me out
Based on the description for those plugs it says the stock SVT plugs were of the same temp range but platinum. I think CFM sells them but they don't show a MC p/n for them.

Rock Auto lists a MC p/n sp487 but I can't find any info to say if they are plats, or copper cores, or what.
Thanks AJ...you've just demonstrated the crux of the problem. In changing to (I guess they're called) 'stock numbers', ie. SP-XXX, we the consumers can not break those out for clarification/modifications. I found the Motorcraft Spark Plug Model Number Identification chart online. If you run the numbers above, you'll see that the original or stock SVT plugs are actually listed as "extremely cold", were-as the venerable SP-463 is listed as just "cold". In addition, both the original numbers equate out to be platinum tipped and longer thread (I'm wondering if that means that the actual tip is further into the combustion chamber? better burn maybe???)

The AZFS22C changed to SP463 now are a very cheap but good spk plug to run in the SVT if you are doing ANY performance mods at all there isnt another spk plug that I would run

Tom
And I believe Tom, here is the upshot of the SP-463/AZFS22C revolution...cost! I'm wondering if the cost vs. availability/cost of the 'stockers' is what is pushing the drive to replace an "extremely cold" plug w/a "cold" plug. I'd really love to see a dyno session between the two. Probably no significant difference, but you never know. This is where the FF community leans on folks like you (I know you're semi-retired), but I don't have a shop. Well, I've got a shop in my head [:D], but whenever I'm dyno'ing Montgomery County cops get all twitchy!! One day I will try the excuse of, " I'm street dyno-tuning this car officer...."

Can we get mods to put that chart into one of the sticky'd posts?? And update the engine info to include the stock SVT spark plug info??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts