Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I have took my MTX75 out of the 03 2.3l zx3. And wow was she ready for it.

Clutch plate is just gone.

Flywheel seems to be okay though, take a pad to it to clean it up a little, but it's good.

So as the title says Organic clutch plate, or Ceramic clutch plate. Which is better?

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW just to add because some people helped me lower this out in another thread, but I had to lower the sub-frame, and tilt the motor a hell of a lot to get clearance.

I wish I would have listened to you guys a long time ago, this trans would have been out and half way done by now.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly man, the pressure plate side has no padding left what so ever, and the flywheel side has just a sliver left on it, and to add on top of that, the slave cylinder was defiantly why me clutch pedal was only going half way down.

You should see all that black crap that went all over the bell housing, I practically filled a plastic grocery bag with it. lol

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Black crap= burnt friction material mmmmm asbestos. Some of the organic compounds make me wonder if they are asbestos. You know asbestos is organic, and naturally occurring.

Ceramic if you can find it is good, but if your car is not going to have more mods than it has now, I'd just get a typical stock replacement. A new flywheel is going to set you back as it is. I'm not looking forward to this job myself, but we'll see how long this clutch lasts. My current record is 160k miles, and I'm at 130k with this car. DMF clutches suck big time. We should be thankful that we can pick up one for our vehicles for less than $1k. If you can find a single mass flywheel replacement clutch kit- then that's what I'd consider, however you should look for one that has been designed specifically for the application, and is sufficient. It probably won't be cheap, but should be cheaper than a new DMF and clutch kit.

Slave cylinders should always be replaced with any clutch that uses a plastic slave. You want to have some envy? I replaced a friend's Cavalier clutch with Rock Auto parts: Flywheel= $35, slave = $35 clutch kit = $75. I don't think you can even get a Dtec clutch kit for that much, but I haven't looked.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well right now I have a CAI and a exhaust, I plan to put a header on soon. But that should be it for a while.

As for my flywheel, I'm going to clean it up a little bit, and measure it tomorrow, but it looks good other then what you see, no delaminating from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
You can't resurface DMF. Those must be replaced. Sorry, but that's how it is. It totally sucks.

I take that back, you CAN re-use it, if you really want to, but don't cry if you only get a few months out of it. I mean really, who knows, it might last longer- but you're taking a big chance that could cost more than a clutch. DMF's are basically 2 separate flywheels connected by a spring loaded system to absorb vibrations from either the engine to drivetrain or the drivetrain to the engine. If the flywheel itself breaks, springs can come out and damage the engine block behind the flywheel. You can imagine what a high tensile steel piece being forced with thousands of pounds of pressure on the cast aluminum block might do when even cast iron diesel blocks were damaged beyond repair from DMF failures.

Unfortunately that's what we have. The best prices I found were on Rock auto, and it looks like that would run about $600 without shipping. That's on par with what you can get a clutch from C-F-M if you want to go with an AL flywheel. I'd do a lot of asking around in the FI forum- even though you're NA- to see which HP clutches are working for them. I seem to remember there were problems with Clutch Master's kits.

Best of luck bro, but this is a Ca-ching sort of thing from what I understand. Anything that makes you envy a Cavalier is bad.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Seriously, I haven't looked into this myself, but I'm definitely going to have to start doing some more research. I don't want to spend a ton on a new clutch when it comes around, but it appears that it's really not that much more to purchase an aluminum flywheel clutch kit than it is to get a DMF and clutch kit. Why the hell not right? I'm not typically a person to suggest AL flywheels because it's not the best for street driving- especially if you live in hilly country clutch life can be drastically reduced- but there's not much of a discount to go back with a stock DMF, and it's not like the rest of the car is going to last forever either. Really, CFM's price on a Fidanza wheel is $413, and RockAuto's price on an OEM DMF is $341.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
OK some quick research- this is the first time I've found a part cheaper somewhere other than Rock Auto. I'd even be inclined to call them and tell them about it.

C-F-M's price for the Exedy Hyper kit is $1199, and Amazon's price is $899. Before I bought it I'd get the part numbers and compare the two since Exedy seems to make both a steel and aluminum flywheel. This search was done on my car specifically, so you might want to go there and search for your car.
Amazon Exedy EH05SD

Here's an Exedy OEM replacement kit for a reasonable $167
Exedy FMK1009 OEM Clutch Kit with slave

Here's a stock replacement flywheel from Exedy that doesn't cost more than $350. Together with the clutch kit above you're in the $400 range for the clutch. That's acceptable IMO, no Cavalier, but acceptable. This is a lightweight steel racing flywheel that is 1 lb more than the Fidanza. Well worth it IMO.

Exedy Chrom Moly Racing flywheel

There you go bro, I hope it works out for you, and now I'm not so scared of the imminent clutch job. I'm still going to save about $1200, but hopefully I won't have to spend that much.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, thanks for all the info man, But the Haynes manual gives measurements for what is still good on the flywheel, are you saying regardless of that, I should change out the flywheel too?

And all those parts in the links are to 2005 models, non will fit my 03 2.3l from what they say.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
As far as I know the Dtec DMF is like any other DMF. Here's an article. Some people might think that DMF's are like AL flywheels with a replaceable steel friction surface. That's not so. Now seriously, I don't know specifics on this particular DMF design, but if it's like the ones described in this article- you probably don't want to chance it if you want to keep the car for 50k more miles.

Dual Mass Flywheel Replacement Options

And no, I don't trust Haynes 100%. I'd like to hear that there is a serviceable limit from another source before I'd go treating it like a traditional flywheel.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Depends on the shape of the flywheel. I reused mine and have over 100k mi on the CF clutch and 171k mi on the flywheel. But mine is also just a cast iron stock single piece one. I don't know what the duratec's run?

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the only problem I see, is that I can't even get pricing on it, cause no-one has it for a manual(MTX75) 2003 ford focus zx3 2.3l DOHC PZEV?

I checked:
Advance auto parts
AutoZone
The Ford parts site.

And nothing?

EDIT: And I don't think I like this part.
Quoted from the link^.

Even if a dual-mass flywheel does not experience a spring failure, the service life of most OEM dual-mass flywheels is typically about the same as the clutch, which means the flywheel usually needs to be replaced when the clutch wears out. If you simply bolt in a new clutch, chances are your customer will have flywheel problems at some point down the road because of the weakened springs in the flywheel. That's why many experts recommend replacing a dual-mass flywheel when changing a clutch - especially if the flywheel has more than 80,000 or 90,000 miles on it. The flywheel should be considered a wear item just like the clutch, and should be replaced when a new clutch is installed.

But as I read more and more, it says one of the cheaper options would be to replace this dual mass flywheel with a one piece? Just make it slightly larger(13inch) and it would be okay as long as the pressure plate and clutch plate where matched to the one piece flywheel?

Has anyone done this^, there seems to be some skeptical people from what the person talking says, but no failure's where ever found?

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
ehancok put in a stage 1 clutch and lightflywheel (i think) in his 03 focus 2.3. are your sure theres a difference from 03-04 compared to 05-07?

i have an exedy oem clutch and light flywheel in my 2.3 st and i love it. its cost like total $1200 to have clutch,flywheel, clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder and had it installed. bought exedy kit for like $500 i think? well worth the money. i would also replace all the parts at once.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Well the only problem I see, is that I can't even get pricing on it, cause no-one has it for a manual(MTX75) 2003 ford focus zx3 2.3l DOHC PZEV?
You didn't follow the links I sent you? Have you tried O'Reilleys? I searched them online and they had one fairly cheap, but I don't know if I was searching for my car or yours. It's one of those funny things when searching for parts: some places separate the 05+ 2.0 from the 2.3, and some do not. [scratch]

I don't think there is a difference, but I'd have to do more research to find out.

I think those prices in the links I sent you were excellent, and O'R has the same Exedy parts for just a little more. However, you probably won't find them on the shelf and will have to order anyway which can mean anywhere from 3 days to a week.

Did you check with the guys in the FI forum to see if Exedy parts have been good to them?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Ok, there is a different part number for the Sachs DMF's that O'R sells for like $280. The one for your car is 91103, and the one for my car is 91157. Now that might have more to do with the rotational mass or balancing of the DMF than anything else.

From what I've seen the Exedy parts that C-F-M sells, listed as 03-09, are the same part numbers as the ones I found on Amazon for my 05 ZXW. The prices are within $20 or so not counting shipping. The Amazon parts can ship free. I'd consider calling CFM to see if they would not charge for shipping- explain to them that you would like to support FF vendors.

Looking for Ford replacement parts, did you call Steve at Tousley Ford in WI? I'd consider giving him a call. I doubt it will be cheaper than some of the things we're finding on here, but you never know until you try.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Ok, there is a different part number for the Sachs DMF's that O'R sells for like $280. The one for your car is 91103, and the one for my car is 91157. Now that might have more to do with the rotational mass or balancing of the DMF than anything else.

From what I've seen the Exedy parts that C-F-M sells, listed as 03-09, are the same part numbers as the ones I found on Amazon for my 05 ZXW. The prices are within $20 or so not counting shipping. The Amazon parts can ship free. I'd consider calling CFM to see if they would not charge for shipping- explain to them that you would like to support FF vendors.

Looking for Ford replacement parts, did you call Steve at Tousley Ford in WI? I'd consider giving him a call. I doubt it will be cheaper than some of the things we're finding on here, but you never know until you try.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Regardless of what fly you decide to go with, the one pictured here is bad. It has heat checking all over it and if there was ever metal-to-metal contact between the clutch and fly - it's toast.

As much as the DMF on these cars are pieces of junk be careful when buying a replacement. I've seen gobs of folks end up with crank endplay after installing a high performance kit because the force required to release the pressure plate is too much for the thrust bearing in the bottom end of the motor to handle. I'm sure technique has a lot to it as well but considering the risk I'd personally be cautious. It isn't something that occurs immediately but I know like 5 people that had crank walk after a few years of running a nasty clutch kit.

You also have to be careful getting a cheap aftermarket OEM replacement....you may get what you pay for.

Organic material clutches are typically not asbestos. There is a law that prevents the manufacture of brake or clutch friction material that contains asbestos in North America but knowing how brilliant our government is I'm not certain the law prohibits the SALE of asbestos-containing frictions in NA. So, if it's made in China who knows what the hell is in it. Lead impregnated asbestos with a radioactive mercury coating from China wouldn't surprise me[paranoid]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts