Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to order a replacement part for their 2012 yet? I've been calling dealers for estimates for a front bumper + paint, and the prices don't match what I've found online. I checked fordparts.com and found the dealers offering the best price there, then called them up and got a different price (always higher).

Is there any reason for this? Maybe I just don't know how this works...I was under the impression that ordering the part online meant I picked it up at the dealer; it's not shippable that's for sure. Why is there a price discrepancy between the ford parts price (when shopping for that specific dealer) and the price I'm given over the phone?

Also has anyone ever heard of a core charge on a bumper cover? There's a $75 core charge for it...which sounds pretty absurd.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, several already. I deal with Tousley Ford online. They are very knowledgeable on SVT's and Foci and ship things all the time. Prices are 10% over cost and very reasonable shipping. Seems that some dealers are having a hard time looking up parts but a VIN number usually will work ok for them.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The dealer parts dept markup is like 100% so they buy a part for $50 and charge $100. or even more.
Even for buying a part at the parts counter is cheaper than having the dealer install said part. The charge for the dealer installed part cost is always another 10% to 15% higher than at the parts counter. (besides labor)
Why ? the guys have to eat i guess.
On line they can sell for a lot less because it is all gravy. They are not cutting into thier own local parts selling, and just stabbing other dealers, basically stealing the other dealers local customers.
Some businesses do not allow such behavior. other turn a blind eye.
Ford seems to be turning a blind eye.
I am for lower prices and all, but you wanted to know how the price discrepancy arises. I told how. If everyone did this, the local Ford parts would disappear, and then the on line prices would go up.
Right now we are in a golden age of being able to have both, and the online dealers are few, and abe to really sell a lot of stuff. Once way more dealers are online, the volume profits will dry up, and the prices will go up.
This is all theory of course.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, several already. I deal with Tousley Ford online. They are very knowledgeable on SVT's and Foci and ship things all the time. Prices are 10% over cost and very reasonable shipping. Seems that some dealers are having a hard time looking up parts but a VIN number usually will work ok for them.
It's a bumper, so I'd probably end up paying $100+ to have it shipped. Not exactly fitting it into a USPS flat rate box.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, probably not worth the hassle, but worth checking. They're in Minnesota so they're not real far from you. I had some side skirts shipped and weren't too much money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts