Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...it's decision time and after weighing out my options, I've decided to go with a 2015 Focus Ti hatchback to replace my 2013 model. In going through the ordering guide, most of the options are the same with the addition of some new ones. I've decided to order the car in metallic magnetic (gray) with charcoal leather interior. Options include: 18" rims/handling package, Moonroof, Cold Weather package (heated steering wheel & exterior mirrors),Technology package (BLIS with Cross traffic, Lane Keeping Aid, etc) and Navigation. The only other option which I'm not to sure about is Active Park Assist. Compared to the cost of the other packages, it's not outrageously expensive ($395.) but I'm unsure whether to get it or not.

My current car doesn't have Active Park Assist and I'm just wondering whether or not it's an option worth having. There are certain options that I MUST have on a car that I won't ever buy again, unless it comes with it. For me that would be heated leather seats, power windows & locks and of course A/C. For me it's about comfort, so those are just necessities. Since I've never experienced Active Park Assist before, I cannot say whether or not it's worth ordering. What are your thoughts? Any of you who have Active Park Assist have an opinion that you'd care to share?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tom,
Do you parallel park a lot on the street? If no, you will not use it. If yes, it is handy.

The other thing to consider is you kept your 2013 2 years...you may keep this one 2 or 3 as well. If that is the case, having the option may increase curb appeal when you want to sell it or trade it in.

You do have to get the winter package to get heated seats. I was wondering why you would need that package in Southern California!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well...it's decision time and after weighing out my options, I've decided to go with a 2015 Focus Ti hatchback to replace my 2013 model. In going through the ordering guide, most of the options are the same with the addition of some new ones. I've decided to order the car in metallic magnetic (gray) with charcoal leather interior. Options include: 18" rims/handling package, Moonroof, Cold Weather package (heated steering wheel & exterior mirrors),Technology package (BLIS with Cross traffic, Lane Keeping Aid, etc) and Navigation. The only other option which I'm not to sure about is Active Park Assist. Compared to the cost of the other packages, it's not outrageously expensive ($395.) but I'm unsure whether to get it or not.

My current car doesn't have Active Park Assist and I'm just wondering whether or not it's an option worth having. There are certain options that I MUST have on a car that I won't ever buy again, unless it comes with it. For me that would be heated leather seats, power windows & locks and of course A/C. For me it's about comfort, so those are just necessities. Since I've never experienced Active Park Assist before, I cannot say whether or not it's worth ordering. What are your thoughts? Any of you who have Active Park Assist have an opinion that you'd care to share?
If you never parallel park, the active park assist is a pretty much a worthless option except for increasing resale value. In all honesty though, I would think these cars are easy to parallel park since you can see all of your corners. Plus the fact that all 2015 Foci have the rear backup camera anyways that lets you see your bumper...

Why would you want a heated steering wheel in SoCal? I will say on my wife's van it was extremely nice to have when it was -15F out in MN, but now that we're in Florida, it's a completely useless option. [:D]

·
Registered
520 Posts

Please be advised that adding the moonroof option lowers the clearing height of the Focus. It's pretty dramatic. I have a Focus SE without the moonroof and an ST with the moonroof and my head can almost touch the roof when I drive the ST. Just something to thing about.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the quick response guys. I appreciate your feedback. Short answer on why the heated steering wheel....I'm spoiled! It never gets too cold here in So Cal, but during the winter months it does dip down to the 40's, especially in the early morning. I had heated steering wheel on my last two cars and loved it....well, that and the heated leather seats. In fact, my heated seats are almost always on, even when it's warm outside. I find that it's useful in soothing my lower back, and not just good for warming up on a cold day. I can live without a lot of things, but heated leather is just too cozy to pass up. Yup..it's official, I'm a spoiled So Cal Yuppie! :)

As far as Park Assist goes, you guys brought up some good points. The Focus is definitely easy to park. I have very good parallel parking skills, meanwhile my wife just gets by when performing that task. She would probably benefit from using it more than myself. So that coupled with added resale value, I suppose it's probably worth ordering it.

Moonroof...yeah, I know what you mean about the lower ceiling height. I have that on my '13 Focus, but I'm not so tall that I hit the headliner, so it works for me. It's another one of those, I can't live without options. Here in So Cal, I use the moonroof nearly everyday.

As I write this, I've come to the conclusion that I've grown accustomed to having a lot of creature comforts and I won't give up certain things. I could live without driving an expensive luxury brand car, such as a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, but give me my heated leather seats and moonroof, dang it! Now if only Ford could add an Espresso maker as an option, I'd be all set.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
If you never parallel park, the active park assist is a pretty much a worthless option except for increasing resale value. [:D]
If it is a feature you really want/need, then get it but be advised it will have negligible to no effect on resale value. Heavily optioned cars take the biggest hit on value when you trade them in. Example below is from Black Book, the de facto standard of car dealers. Note the adds for a 2014 Ti.

Attachments

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
If it is a feature you really want/need, then get it but be advised it will have negligible to no effect on resale value. Heavily optioned cars take the biggest hit on value when you trade them in. Example below is from Black Book, the de facto standard of car dealers. Note the adds for a 2014 Ti.
Looks to me like you just proved yourself wrong. Nav costs $795 new but you'll get $650 back for it? That's far less depreciation than the car itself!

And the moonroof?? I only paid $300 for mine ($895 minus the $595 Moon & Tune Southeast discount), but I'll get $600 back at trade-in??? Just doubled my money Sucka!!!!!!! [twothumbs]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Please be advised that adding the moonroof option lowers the clearing height of the Focus. It's pretty dramatic. I have a Focus SE without the moonroof and an ST with the moonroof and my head can almost touch the roof when I drive the ST. Just something to thing about.
^^^^ This. My hair is touching the roof in my SE with the moonroof. If I could do it all over again I would get it without the moonroof even though it's a feature I can use year round in Florida...

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
^^^^ This. My hair is touching the roof in my SE with the moonroof. If I could do it all over again I would get it without the moonroof even though it's a feature I can use year round in Florida...
Then you wouldn't double your money at resale as I just demonstrated..... [mecry]

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Looks to me like you just proved yourself wrong. Nav costs $795 new but you'll get $650 back for it? That's far less depreciation than the car itself!

And the moonroof?? I only paid $300 for mine ($895 minus the $595 Moon & Tune Southeast discount), but I'll get $600 back at trade-in??? Just doubled my money Sucka!!!!!!! [twothumbs]
If you read the posted image, you will note that Active Park Assist (the subject of the question asked by the OP) gains you $0 on trade with Black Book. Your "Moon & Tune" discount is a moot point.

Even before adds, the Titanium is already a heavily optioned car as it comes from the factory and takes a significant hit on trade.

Those who are inexperienced in the car business learn these lessons the hard way.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
15's have heated steering wheel? That would be amazing in this high of 15 degree weather.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
If you read the posted image, you will note that Active Park Assist (the subject of the question asked by the OP) gains you $0 on trade with Black Book. Your "Moon & Tune" discount is a moot point.
My bad I thought you were talking about options in general.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
That new 18" rim option on Titaniums looks like a bad deal. Previously you got the rims, upgraded suspension and Michelin summers (which are $222 ea. on tirerack) for $595. Now you pay $625 and all you get are the rims on all-seasons. [thumbd]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
That new 18" rim option on Titaniums looks like a bad deal. Previously you got the rims, upgraded suspension and Michelin summers (which are $222 ea. on tirerack) for $595. Now you pay $625 and all you get are the rims on all-seasons. [thumbd]
You do still get the full-sized spare, but I'm not very fond of the new 18" wheel design (actually, I don't think I like any of the new wheels except maybe the machined/painted black 17" ones). And I agree, [thumbd] for not getting the upgraded suspension components. As far as the summer tires to all-seasons, I don't blame Ford. The people on this site are not "most people"... and most people won't bother getting winter tires or new all seasons even if they have to drive in snow.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
As far as the summer tires to all-seasons, I don't blame Ford. The people on this site are not "most people"... and most people won't bother getting winter tires or new all seasons even if they have to drive in snow.
I think a summer tire package is still very much worth offering. The package is pretty popular here in Florida. I'd wager over half the population of this country lives in non-snow or rare-snow states, and summer tires do offer better traction in dry / wet conditions.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's a no-win on Summer vs. all season tires on the 18" option, saw more complaints about needing different winter tires here than compliments for having summer ones as an option in the past.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think a summer tire package is still very much worth offering. The package is pretty popular here in Florida. I'd wager over half the population of this country lives in non-snow or rare-snow states, and summer tires do offer better traction in dry / wet conditions.
That's definitely true and believe me - I enjoyed those tires. If only they could do a regional kind of package like the standard engine heaters/plugs or how when they first launched the grille shutters it was a state-by-state thing.

I'm just saying that I still see Ti Foci on the road in the snow with the Michelin summer tires. *cringe*

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
It's a no-win on Summer vs. all season tires on the 18" option, saw more complaints about needing different winter tires here than compliments for having summer ones as an option in the past.
That's only because 9 out of 10 people come to this site to complain about something.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Reactions: kam327

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the whole conversation about winter tires. I would just like to add that for those of you who may be unaware. The 18's with summer tires actually make EXCELLENT winter tires. In fact they offer superior grip and road holding capability in the winter. I love my summer tires, because I use them year round. They should just be called All Season Tires....at least here in So Cal. [;)]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts