Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone back 50 pages in this section and more times then not, people recommend changing out the HU first and then upgrade the speakers and possibly an amp next. But I don't actually agree with this. In your home when it comes to HOME THEATER you always get the most impact with a speaker upgrade over a receiver upgrade.

Lets use my situation, I have the plain jane stock single cd with 4 5x7 speakers in my ZTW that have cone tweeters, yes cone tweeters, if you can even call them tweeters. Now seriously, if I was doing incrementle upgrades, wouldn't getting rid of those stock speakers be first over a new HU.

If a car has stock speakers with cone tweeters, I say speakers first, something like the Infinity's or JBL's that have real tweeters, and tweeters that can swivel as to aim them where you want them, and then a new HU and possible an amp next. What do you think? Am I wrong, if I am, please tell me why.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
ditto to z all of the above

1) you can't compare home audio to car audio, 2 different animals

2) it really depends on the long term plans for the whole system

3) if you think you might be ok with the stock unit for a while, then yes upgrading the speakers first will sound better.......... but are you going to get speakers with high efficiency or components with the intention of being amped. so on and so forth

4) as said, certain upper end HUs give a lot of tuning options, but this is really dependent if you plan to build a complete system

5) some are just fine using the stock HU to a LOC to an Amp

Again, it really depends on the long-term plan and what you can affort to upgrade first.

If you just want a simple upgrade, speakers or HU only, then absolutely upgrade the speakers instead of the HU.

Either way you look at it, the stock speakers suck azzzzzz. [;)]
They're coming out sooner or later. [thumb]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts