Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my fellow focus enthusiasts! in one week i will be the proud owner of a black 2003 ford focus zx3. i have been on the site getting all the specifications and reading what others have been doing, and i must say that i am so excited. i was wondering if i should buy the focus sport supercharger before or after the common modifications such as header, exhaust, etc... i dont want to buy an intake and then replace it right after with the intake supplied with the kit. does it matter if i install the supercharger before the basic modifications?

·
Registered
16 Posts
its a good idea to build your exhaust first so it can handle that supercharger once you have it on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, thats what i was thinking. it didnt seem too practical to have more power going into the motor with the same restrictive exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1.Cat back exhaust
2.Cold air intake
3.Header/flex pipe
4.SCT tune
5.PW supercharger[race]
5.5 New Centerforce clutch(or stage 3/4) and Quaife
6.V-8 conversion[wrenchin]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, but why get a cold air intake, if i am just going to replace it when i buy a supercharger? and wouldnt it be smarter to have a tune after the supercharger as well? i know the way you listed it a steady increase in power, but could you make a list of parts to be purchased in order without wasting money?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and speaking of brakes, since i will have a zx3 and drum brakes, would it be wise to swap the rear subframe of an svt for disc brakes? or does it make a differance? i read that the rear subframes of these cars are all interchangeable.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
They are interchangable and it would be wise to swap it out, except it can be a little on the expensive side. Ive seen some of the SVT brake conversions (all 4 wheels and everything needed) for up to $1000...........

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
They are interchangable and it would be wise to swap it out, except it can be a little on the expensive side. Ive seen some of the SVT brake conversions (all 4 rotors/calipers and everything needed) for up to $1000...........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright, thanks. as soon as i asked the brake conversion question, i found that write up by the guy with the turbo zx3, so i might follow that. hey bigred, do you suggest other getting a strut tower brace? on most cars i believe it is good to have, but the strut tower is so close to the firewall, does it really make a differance?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You SELL off the stuff you don't need anymore.Eventually you will want to try something that you already have.Mabye a different header,a new tune,a new cat back,different profile cams etc etc. Just because you have it already doesn't mean something new isn't better.I am always looking for the most bang for my buck.That is why My list exists...Eventually everyone wants MORE.You can only go so far Normally aspirated on a four banger.Then it's turbo or S/charger time.Once that ain't enough,it's stuff the 514" big block in there.Or just drive around stock with a can on your ass...

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
i just have to say that some of you either have more money than you know what to do with, or you are just stupid.

do it right the first time! i would say yes the exhaust is a must before the s/c. it would also be smart/safer to do the brakes and suspension before as well however it isnt necessary. i wouldnt put the money into an intake system. if you want you could modify your stock setup by either custom fitting a filter on the end of the pipe or just fogging the air box and removing the silencer.

dont buy parts with the intention of selling them later when you dont need them anymore. you WILL lose money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
YA,right.More money than brains.(Hmmm..)The cheapest thing I bought for my car has been the CAI.Cheap?Yea,$40 bucks off Ebay without some fancy-shmancy name.Made out of the same tubing with the same fittings,same filter and mounts the same way, without costing a lot of money.If you shop around you can find some off brand stuff that works as well as the big names.I know,because I have bought both and the only difference is the name on the box.Same thing for headers.Don't tell me otherwise,cuz I have bought both and the cheap stuff may be a copy,but it works.Hell,the money I saved alone on my CAI will almost pay for my XCAL2 tune.Now there's something you don't want to skimp on.Those elcheapo $20 chips off Ebay are a waste of money.Same thing for those Laughable electric "superchargers"HA!AND NO,I didn't have to buy one to realize those are junk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts