Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting an optima red top battery for my foc. My car has a real tough time starting now that it's getting cold. Figure it's probably just the battery, probably never even been changed. Anyone got a link to the model of Optima Red Top I should be using? I have an 05 ZX4 2.0DE

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
optima red top, group size 35, chances are you will have to goto your local parts store and order said battery, but its worth the wait, optima batteries are the top of the line best bang for your buck!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea about how much they run?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also heard there are some minor "fitment issues" with these? something about the cables barely reaching?

·
Registered
672 Posts
optima red top, group size 35, chances are you will have to goto your local parts store and order said battery, but its worth the wait, optima batteries are the top of the line best bang for your buck!

Bang for the buck----what are we going to gain. Any decent battery will give you all that you'll need, unless you're cranking in northern minnesota. Car's start so easy now with fuel injection, electronics, and thinner oils, that they last 5 to 7 years. If his car cranks and has problems starting, the problem is not in the battery......

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bang for the buck----what are we going to gain. Any decent battery will give you all that you'll need, unless you're cranking in northern minnesota. Car's start so easy now with fuel injection, electronics, and thinner oils, that they last 5 to 7 years. If his car cranks and has problems starting, the problem is not in the battery......
Tell you what bro, I'll humor you and get the car looked at. It's still under warranty and I need to bring it in to get the shifter looked at anyways. I'll update the post when I get the diagnosis.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
optima red top batterys are the best! i had one when i was in school and i took that battery from one car to the other. at least 8 cars, 2 of them being a demolision cars lol like tv. then i sold the last car with the batery in it and the guy is still using in . i got the batery 9 years ago. i will be getting another optima red top battery when time is due.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Go with the yellow top...... check out my profile pic.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i thought the yellow top was for those that have a lot of power being drained from the radio and amp and such. the red top is used for under the hood , like cold starts and high output motors

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Optima has just about any size battery for any application . All I did was measure my stock battery and they had 1 just like it and waaay more powerful .

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I used the size 35, which is the spread post model, available at any autozone for around $169, best battery you will ever have hands down..minor fitment issues were that the cables barely reach and on the 04 DTEC, the tie down piece doesn't hold it snug, however the later styles will.

incorrect, the majority of factory batteries are garbage and don't last more than 2-3 years. Ford's are an exception, but i still don't see any older than 4 years coming in. If they leak and build corrosion they last even less. If the car cranks slow when its cold out the battery is on its way out, end of story...
most every other issue wouldn't happen with a new car, but they can include bad cables due to corrosion, or a bad starter, but neither of these care about the temperature.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the size 35, which is the spread post model, available at any autozone for around $169, best battery you will ever have hands down..minor fitment issues were that the cables barely reach and on the 04 DTEC, the tie down piece doesn't hold it snug, however the later styles will.

incorrect, the majority of factory batteries are garbage and don't last more than 2-3 years. Ford's are an exception, but i still don't see any older than 4 years coming in. If they leak and build corrosion they last even less. If the car cranks slow when its cold out the battery is on its way out, end of story...
most every other issue wouldn't happen with a new car, but they can include bad cables due to corrosion, or a bad starter, but neither of these care about the temperature.
Nice of you to chime in Warneej. What took you so long? :)

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i was outta town last weekend and had a lot to catch up on [thumb]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Excuses, Excuses. Just don't let it happen again. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
most every other issue wouldn't happen with a new car, but they can include bad cables due to corrosion, or a bad starter, but neither of these care about the temperature.[/QUOTE]

I'm going into my 6th Michigan winter with my stock battery. I hope it can make it.....

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
That's not the stock battery box, is it?
Yep, that's the stock battery box. It fits right in, not very tight, but unless you are jumping around with your car I don't thing you're going to have any problems. Besides you can always buy or make a custom battery holder.

i thought the yellow top was for those that have a lot of power being drained from the radio and amp and such. the red top is used for under the hood , like cold starts and high output motors
Red top is yellow's little sister. Red top has superior quality than most regular batteries out there, but the yellowe top is just the top of the line for cars.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Five years and still going strong on the OEM battery in my 03 SVTF.(Knocks on wood)lol

To the OP, if the car cranks strong it`s probably not the battery. It could be the plugs need to be regaped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts