Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weird problem here the tube coming off my headerer came loose on my spi engine and was leaking exhaust and sounded like ass too so i thought why not just tighten them down so i did and i broke off one of the studs holding it on the engine sounds alot better but still leaking exhaust but very little i think its the egr tube (not sure) so what i was thinking why not get an exhaust shop to just the the tube to the headerer now my question is would this work ? or is this something easy to replace ohhh and any suggestions as to how to get the stud out of the headerer also the flange on the tube is loose but i think its supposed to be tight any suggestions on what i should do ? thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If the flange on the tube is loose then the weld broke. It will need to be re-welded or a new tube purchased (around $60). This is a very weak weld and most everyone I know with this engine has replaced or re-welded this flange/tube connection at some point, some more than once.

As for getting the stud out of the header....do you mean exhaust manifold as in OEM exhaust manifold ? Or an aftermarket header ? The OEM manifold would probably need to be drilled out/retapped/helicoiled etc, but on my header the mount for this is thin so the bottom of the stud is visible and could be twisted out with vice grips or other means.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the weld is garbage i guess then its loose like a goose lol and yup its the good old stocker exhaust manifold i just like to say headerer lol but after another look it looks as if theres a little piece thats sticking out if you move the tube away and focusnewb how easy to replace is this if you know i got the tools to do it if it dosent reguire anything special and/or you know how much it costs in labour? ohh yeah one more question what do you recomend as im assuming youve replaced this too a new tube or just reweld im thinking reweld it cuz it should make it alot stronger then the ford welds thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just replaced the tube and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't break again. The problem with welding is the flange is one type of metal and the tube is another. I don't know too much about welding but two different corrosion resistant metals are difficult to join I think. A guy on here (focusin) welded his and it ended up breaking again but then again, the ones from Ford break too.

It's easy to replace, just remove the battery and airbox and it's very easy to get to. Two bolts on the manifold (or one in your case lol) and one big nut at the EGR valve on the intake manifold. After that just pop off 2 rubber hoses and install the new tube.

If you can see part of the stud sticking out of the manifold you should be able to grind some flat spots and get a wrench or something to twist it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.