Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Im as lost as you are???

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so im in a dilema right now. Currently having troubles with the JRSC, possible detonation. Ive got a shop that is going to tune it for me for $200. But heres my dilema, i just hit 80K miles on my car, probably one of the higher milage SVT's on here and also boosting 10psi. Im considering selling the blower and going back to N/A for a couple reasons. One being that, being its getting higher in milage, im worried about the longevity of running boost on this engine as i plan to have it for quite awhile. This is really though the first supercharger related problem ive had with it and im still not 100% forsure it is deto, could be the s/c itself, i donno yet. But anyways, another reason is money. Yes it sounds bad if i sold it i would have enough to go back how i was N/A, buy the H&R cup kit ive been wanting and a few other things, just not be as fast. I donno, im kinda leaning both ways right now. Keeping it keeps alot of fun but then also has the potential for more serious problems down the road. On the other hand selling it would put some extra cash in my pocket as well as some long time wanted mods. [?|] [?|] [?|] <--this is literally what im doing. But I also had another thought, i still have my 5psi pulley i could have them safely tune for that and still have the extra power but then also couldnt get the other stuff ive wanted. Orrrr i could have it tuned, keep it for alittle while more and sell it later?? Im looking for some input here guys, what would you do? Help a brother out!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Personally, I'd keep it.

How often are you actually into more than 2-3psi boost? Is changing the bearings an option?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I say sell it. I would worry about the engine also, since it is up there in the milage dept.
Just remember that you have a limited edition ride.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blanezx3 said:
Personally, I'd keep it.

How often are you actually into more than 2-3psi boost? Is changing the bearings an option?
Alot..LOL and im not sure, i dont think its the bearing cause if it was it would constant not just under boost.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Probably not, but if you change the seals and bearings then everything should be okay as long as you haven't compromised the integrity of the crank, rods, or pistons.

If that's an option I say definitely keep it. No need removing one mod to get another unless it's something you're absolutely sure about ya know?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blanezx3 said:
Probably not, but if you change the seals and bearings then everything should be okay as long as you haven't compromised the integrity of the crank, rods, or pistons.

If that's an option I say definitely keep it. No need removing one mod to get another unless it's something you're absolutely sure about ya know?
Well the engine is more what im worried about.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I say keep the blower and continue running 10psi. If you pulled off the supercharger, you'd probably be so dissapointed with the loss of power, thet you would wind up selling it anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is this car daily driven?

Do you have another car to drive if it did break?

You said you wanted a H&R cup kit. I am guessing you autocross which would get you a better time. The SC or the H&R Cup kit?

When I first went FI (I had a Vortech on my now PWSC car) I had nothing else to drive. Any noise got me nervous. I was all was thinking that the motor was going to go and I would be walking to work.

If I was in your shoes again I would still do what I did. Get a cheap back up car (If you do not already have one), Tune the set up, and save for the Cup kit. Chances are you will find a cup kit used (If used is ok with yea) and save in the long and have a quick car around the track and town.

Boost is like sex, Once you get it you will always want it, If you sell the kit chance are you are either going to look for a more powerful car or regert selling it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm always the #1 proponent of Handling > Power, but I also agree that you will keep being dissapointed in your car after having boost and then losing it. (Kinda like me when I have to switch to snow tires [:(] ) I would have a competent tech take a look and let you know what it would take to keep it in good health.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
You know you'll miss it.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
witchcitySVT said:
You know you'll miss it.
I know, so ive decided to have it tuned, goes in friday. IF though anything with the s/c itself is found to be wrong it will go though.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they found that nearly all the way thru the powerband, my car was running nearly 30% to lean. Yikes. This shop is great, I highly recommend if you live in central ohio to check them out, www.lasotaracing.com, great guys and awesome work. Its kinda funny i had posted this on VWvortex.com in the carlounge and and results of the votes were pretty one sided, 117 said keep it and only 5 said sell it. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2808749

1 - 13 of 13 Posts