Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I liked it and never had any problems at all. If anyone says different, ask if they actually used it.

It's a very quiet 2.25" exhaust system. Good gains, but if you're worried about that extra 2whp you can get from others then you're going to need to take the resonator out.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
just a word of warning, pacesetter isn't know for having the best quality items. Basically, all exhasut systems are similiar to eachother, with differences being in materials, pipe diameter, fit/finish, but I wouldn't personally reccomend Pacesetter to anybody. No I haven't had the pacesetter exhaust, but I typically try to avoid them, just my $0.02. I would reccomend the Focus Sport exhasut, very good quality, nice tip, good sound, and a good price. Plus the peeps at FS are great too. (Assuming you don't have the Pacesetter exhasut sitting in your garage allready paid for.)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
thats the only thing i've heard bad about pacesetter, the quality of welds and such. as stated above, for the most part, a cat-back is a cat-back. But pacesetter is probably the lowest quality of the bunch (when compared to Borla, Magnaflow, FS, etc.).. If you HAVENT already bought it, and you're looking for something cheap, consider MBRP..not as pricey as the rest, but still damn good. I got mine for 230 shipped to my door and love it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I recommend it.

There are pros and cons to every system. Here's my list:

PRO
Price
It fit perfectly
Extremely quiet exhaust (quieter than stock according to FJ)
2.25" aluminized steel pipe, painted black. (mine didn't rust after ~2yrs)
Welds were actually very good

CON
Tip left a lot to be desired
Not made of stainless steel
Some people like to hear their exhaust. You'd need to take off the resonator to really hear this one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blanezx3 said:
I liked it and never had any problems at all. If anyone says different, ask if they actually used it.

It's a very quiet 2.25" exhaust system. Good gains, but if you're worried about that extra 2whp you can get from others then you're going to need to take the resonator out.
What gains did you see from it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
poisonivory said:
thats the only thing i've heard bad about pacesetter, the quality of welds and such. as stated above, for the most part, a cat-back is a cat-back. But pacesetter is probably the lowest quality of the bunch (when compared to Borla, Magnaflow, FS, etc.).. If you HAVENT already bought it, and you're looking for something cheap, consider MBRP..not as pricey as the rest, but still damn good. I got mine for 230 shipped to my door and love it.

Good Luck!

Link me pretty Plz!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blanezx3 said:
I recommend it.

There are pros and cons to every system. Here's my list:

PRO
Price
It fit perfectly
Extremely quiet exhaust (quieter than stock according to FJ)
2.25" aluminized steel pipe, painted black. (mine didn't rust after ~2yrs)
Welds were actually very good

CON
Tip left a lot to be desired
Not made of stainless steel
Some people like to hear their exhaust. You'd need to take off the resonator to really hear this one.
Is the inside of the tip actually painted yellow? That seems pretty ugly to me.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I'd NEVER recommend anything by PACESETTER..... NOTHING!

If your looking for a cheap HIGH QUALITY catback, go with MBRP.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
mbrp is awsome![:D] http://www.mbrp.com/main.php?focus & the price is excellent!t can be a little loud with race header & no cat [paranoid] [hihi]
Pacesetter= pain! I did have a header from them ONCE , on my old accord back b4 I new better :vomits from shame: oh thee agoney!

·
Registered
169 Posts
What does MBRP stand for??? I might have missed it.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm fair enough..... yeah I forgot to mention my cousin had Pacesetter headers... not on a Focus, but yeah didn't work out too well.

Theres my $0.02....

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Yeah anything PACESETTER is pretty much junk. Back in the day, like I'm talking EARLY 90's they were HUGE on the cameros, you'd see them all the time, well at least I did, the yellow tips, etc but now, all you hear is the lack of performance, and the fact that they tend to rust right off the car.

I wouldn't put anything PACESETTER made on my lawnmower.......... that's what I think of them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
01Kona: Honestly, the only difference I can tell in the Borla I have now and the Pacesetter is the fact that it's louder. That's it. I had a header, highflow cat, and flex on BOTH and it felt exactly the same.

Anyway, I give up. People who have heard bad things about the products tend to repeat them without using them. This is why I said "I liked it and never had any problems at all. If anyone says different, ask if they actually used it."

I'm one of the FEW PEOPLE ON HERE who's used it. It isn't crap. You can have your opinions, but judging a product without actually using it isn't the best thing in the world. That would be like me saying that Tom's turbo kits are crap without having used one.

I just sold mofocus my old pacesetter header. If HE trusts it enough to put it on his car (which has seen more than it's fair share of performance modifications) I'd say it's not a crappy item.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
blanezx3 said:
01Kona: Honestly, the only difference I can tell in the Borla I have now and the Pacesetter is the fact that it's louder. That's it. I had a header, highflow cat, and flex on BOTH and it felt exactly the same.

Anyway, I give up. People who have heard bad things about the products tend to repeat them without using them. This is why I said "I liked it and never had any problems at all. If anyone says different, ask if they actually used it."

I'm one of the FEW PEOPLE ON HERE who's used it. It isn't crap. You can have your opinions, but judging a product without actually using it isn't the best thing in the world. That would be like me saying that Tom's turbo kits are crap without having used one.

I just sold mofocus my old pacesetter header. If HE trusts it enough to put it on his car (which has seen more than it's fair share of performance modifications) I'd say it's not a crappy item.
Oh I've used PACESETTER in the past, not on my focu but regardless, twice actually, both times it was aweful. I should have learned the first time.......

·
Registered
469 Posts
my boy damien HAD a pacesetter cat-back for his focus,and it rusted bad on him and all around the quality is junk... i would recommend Borla,thats what i have,ive gotten compliments left and right on its deep tone and it wasnt to much of a pain to install

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Chad, that wasn't specifically directed to you. It's all good brutha!

I got the kit in late 03.. They'd reissued the kit which was higher flowing. I made sure after it was received that I checked the welds and I must say they were some of the cleanest welds I've seen on any exhaust I've owned on any of the cars I've owned. They were like that until the day I took it off. No rust issues, cracks, or defects in ~2 years of abuse.

That being said, I think it's a good product. It could be that I'm one of the rare exceptions and got something that was made the right way. Who knows, ya know? I have to recommend it because of my experience. I think it's great that you tried it, but the people who haven't need to look at the pros and cons. If I were to buy it now after reading all of the negativity, I'd give them a chance by calling them and asking them if they have fixed their build process and if they can offer a trial with 30 day warranty.

For the price, sound, stainless steel tubing, I'd personally go MBRP. If you live in a place where loud cars are frowned upon and don't want to spend more than 300 bucks, go Pacesetter. If you have a problem with a weld you should be able to find someone to fix that for around 30-40 bucks, which will still put you WAY under the price of Magnaflow, FS, Borla, Bosal, Bassani, HKS, etc..

Btw, just the inside of the tip is painted yellow. I got tired of mine after a while and painted the inside black. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Btw, I switched to the Borla for 2 reasons. First, I got a SUPER deal on it, eibach dampers/sway, and a few other things.. all less than $500. Second, I just had to be able to hear my exhaust and couldn't be happier about the sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts