Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i am not planning on going all out here, just a few things. all i am going to do to my car is get an aem short ram, a tune, and change plugs and wires.

i am sure there will be comsetic mods like lighting and such, but this was all i am planning on doing to the motor. sound good? this is all new to me by the way. thanks.

another thing, should i order the tune after installing the ram?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
From what I've heard, the SVT intake setup is hard to improve on. Save your money on the SRI and put it towards something else.... like a turbonator... (j/k... PLEASE do not buy one)

Although... if you do go SRI, can I have your SVT intake?

Aaaanyways, plugs and wires won't do much for you either performance-wise other than perhaps smooth out your idle.

I'd say the money you save from plugs, wires, and intake could go towards a nice new set of summer tires... that'll give you a lot more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, so what is there is there to do to a stock svt? i am not going to be racing at a track or hunting for rice burners or anything. i am just looking for a little more power and such.

i guess the tune is sounding like the best option. and possibly a k & n air filter replacement.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also, a VF rear engine mount and Short Shifter is a good combo. And since you seem pretty set on the tune, I would ask your tuner to raise the idle to 1000 rpm to negate any unwanted vibration from the rear mount.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am not really concrete on anything at the moment. i have just been told by many around here that a tune is a good step to take.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a barely used K&N drop in filter i don't need anymore.
25$ shipped

·
Registered
284 Posts
thats not true. the stock intake can be improved upon...especially if you get a cold air intake. Its been dyno proven many times. it certainly helps alot. Made a big difference in the performance of my car, especially with the tune.

·
Registered
511 Posts
And an intake sounds REAL nice too (both types).......

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are looking for power (your stated aim), then a tune is #1 with a bullet. If you want more, then you are looking to breathe better. An intake (SR with heat shield or CAI), larger TB or port the stock one, high-flow cat. If you don't do all 3 of those, you are just changing the location of the bottleneck.

If you want better performance all-around, the tune is still #1, but I would go with lighter wheels (no downside at all), and better tires. Then shifter and mount.

Wires, plugs, coil, cat-back, grounding kits - those will not make any difference. The right cat-back might make 1 or 2 hp at most, but in comparison to the cost and trouble - forget it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice, thanks. keep em coming if you have any more opinions. i think i am going with a tune and see how that works out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Contact Hypnotic Illusions aka HIA.
He is a forum member and supporter and makes awsome custom tunes.
That reminds me I gotta call him up for a couple updates.
I might be adding a ported TB, rear engine mount, wrapping my headers, and getting a trubendz borla or magnaflow catback.
I'ma need a slight re-tune.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have a tune from HIA as well, the mail order tunes will not be as good as a dyno'd for you tune. But I think it works just sweet as it is.

There are also other tuners in the focus world as well. Don't just buy the SCT or the Diablo base tune, they aren't nearly as good as the custom ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts