Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, I set cruise at 70 but most of my driving is rural country roads with 45mph speed limit. If I drive nice and old man like, I can get some pretty decent numbers. If I flog it all week, it will drop to 32.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this the MPG that the car is telling you, or are you calculating it? On mine (2018 DCT), the car's value is higher than the calculated value. Right now mine is saying 39.3 since I've owned it (new, never reset on Trip 1), however, my calculated value is only 37.0. On Trip 2, I was resetting it for each tank of gas, and it's value was always higher than the calculated value. I drive fairly conservatively. My per tank have ranged from 33-34 on the low side, though once 27, and up to 40-41.5 a few times (not bad considering the EPA is 24/34).

On my previous 2002 ZX5 MT, I was getting around 33 MPG. In the final year or so before trading it in, I discovered a trick to boost the MPG - I would coast down hills and before stops (meaning putting it in neutral). Fortunately my normal commute has lots of hills. I was then averaging around 37 MPG. I also tried my own stop-start (turning it off at traffic lights), but this didn't seem to have much of an impact on MPG (I don't have many long traffic light stops).

I wondered if this same trick would work on new ones with all the newer computer logic, but I couldn't get one myself since they didn't make 2018 Ti's (or any HB) with MT I was forced to get the DCT (plus spousal disapproval for MT).

121 - 125 of 125 Posts