Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would believe the warrants of whether a lightly used Focus Titanium with black rims would justify $15,000 should be in a thread of itself. We're a bit off-topic here [rofl]

I wonder what the OP has decided on which car to buy though...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Again, that’s a Focus SE, not a Titanium. My car has many more options & the infotainment & 18” ST style wheels. You crack me up lol

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
My 2016 SE has the same Sync 3 as my 2018 ST3, The infotainment system doesn't make the car special, especially when it's the outdated MyFordTouch.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,324 Posts
Yep. Actually the Titanium is a better all around daily vs. an ST1 however the ST looks better & is faster. But the Titanium interior design & infotainment is top over the base ST1.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
True that, but you wouldn't have the handling & performance of the st....Just about all my vehicles have been geared/optioned towards performance then comfort....

·
Registered
179 Posts
People can argue about it as long as they like. The reality is always that the value of a used car is what someone will pay for it. Everything both before and after the money changes hands is best guess.

I would assume that those arguing that the car isn't worth it wouldn't pay that much for it.

The value of a used car also gets more and more variable as time goes on, and in some cases is also VERY regional based on condition. A beat up or rusted car isn't worth much anywhere. A car in pristine condition is probably worth more in places where conditions are conducive to rust and corrosion. I live somewhere that has salted roads, so even in midsummer, the rain can be depositing salt on the car, and there's always dirt and sand, so old cars with nice paint and no rust will go for a premium, for people who have a particular interest in them. Go out to the coast, and those cars start getting much cheaper. Sure the ocean air is somewhat salty, but the moderation in temperature means that they don't have large fleets of trucks pouring salt (Or potassium chloride) and gravel on the roads 6-8 months out of the year, so the cars get fewer paint chips, and rust start points. The same car in much better condition becomes much more readily available, and is therefore cheaper, until the difference in price pays for transportation and/or out of area inspection charges. (My last Supra was imported from the coast, and was probably half the price of what I could have located one locally in the same condition.)

So there's that, too.

Some people don't really care about "one owner" and so it doesn't increase the value of the car to them. If that's a part of what you're setting the price based on, then you're restricting who you're marketing the car to. (It turns out that |I'm the second registered owner of my 2012 Focus, but I think from recent events, it might well be that there's a reason that the guy traded it in.)

Any used car is going to be worth more to one person than another. I'd might have paid a little more for a car that would match one of the sets of nice wheels that I have in the garage, or fit the aftermarket roof rack and carrier, or if I had performance or interior parts for it already, or of course had some sort of emotional attachment to the make/model. If you can find THAT buyer, then you can get a very good asking price. I've had cars that I assumed that I'd never sell, because "nobody would ever offer me enough." -- then someone did.

The monetary value of a thing is always the point where the owner will take the money, and the buyer will pay it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
That's true. Those Titaniums are basically magic.
[rofl] I seriously spit my Doritos all over my desk.

I wonder what the OP has decided on which car to buy though...
I'm still here, just reading all the back and forth. Leading towards the white but since it's a little distance away, dealer is transferring to a closer facility, then I'll get to check it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve been driving a manual trans in my daily driver for over 20 years. I just prefer a manual trans. Until recently, we had three vehicles, all manuals. Then I went and screwed it up by buying a Mercury for my wife with an automatic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I soldy 12 manual focus se, bought a 15 automatic loaded chevy Malibu 2LT, and then bought another focus with manual transmission. The auto has no soul, paddle shifters don't change that either. There's just something satisfying about pushing the clutch in and that mechanical feel of the gear shift lever. It makes you a driver, instead of a passenger in a toaster.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I soldy 12 manual focus se, bought a 15 automatic loaded chevy Malibu 2LT, and then bought another focus with manual transmission. The auto has no soul, paddle shifters don't change that either. There's just something satisfying about pushing the clutch in and that mechanical feel of the gear shift lever. It makes you a driver, instead of a passenger in a toaster.
I'm of the same opinion - drive a manual transmission car until I can't buy one.

Interestingly, we have a 13 Malibu 3LT with the 2.0L turbo engine. While not a MT car, the 260hp turbo makes it interesting. And the Malibu is so much better of a car than the Focus - built better and more refined. But without a MT not as much fun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm of the same opinion - drive a manual transmission car until I can't buy one.

Interestingly, we have a 13 Malibu 3LT with the 2.0L turbo engine. While not a MT car, the 260hp turbo makes it interesting. And the Malibu is so much better of a car than the Focus - built better and more refined. But without a MT not as much fun.
Yah, the Malibu is built a bit better and makes a great family sedan. With the 2.5L motor though, it just feels lazy. I still look at it in the driveway and wonder what I am thinking to sell it for a smaller cheaper ish vehicle. I tend to sell my vehicles when I finally get them all dialed in though, usually every year or 18 months. Malibu had nothing left to improve upon.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I own two manual Foci. 2000 SE with 247000+ miles, and a 2004 ZX3 WITH 434392 miles. The SE lost fifth gear so just good around town. The ZX3 has been great and is my daily. It is the early 04 model before they changed engine orientation. Very happy with both. I'm 46 and will drive manual as long as possible.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts

Apples to oranges with the comparison since the Focus is in a different class regarding size,weight,MPGs and starting price.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Apples to oranges with the comparison since the Focus is in a different class regarding size,weight,MPGs and starting price.
The point I took from Mike O's comment was that despite the cars being in different classes, the "better" car was less fun to drive because the smaller, cheaper car has a manual trans -- not that he was trying to compare them directly to each other

Same with my wife's top trim level crossover being a much more comfortable space to occupy than my Focus (and probably even much faster) but nowhere near as much fun to drive. Sometimes you wanna eat an apple, sometmes an orange.

·
Registered
182 Posts
And my manual trans focus is currently pulling down 39mpg in mixed driving running stock on 89 octane fuel. Best my Malibu could do in same conditions was 26-28mpg. Since I own(ed) both vehicles outright, fuel costs were nearly as important as fun to drive ability. Now I enjoy both.

·
Registered
383 Posts
And my manual trans focus is currently pulling down 39mpg in mixed driving running stock on 89 octane fuel. Best my Malibu could do in same conditions was 26-28mpg. Since I own(ed) both vehicles outright, fuel costs were nearly as important as fun to drive ability. Now I enjoy both.
Our 2013 Malibu with the 2.0L turbo gets 33mpg on the highway. The best I can do in my 2015 focus is 36 highway. I, admittedly, have a bit more aggressive driving style.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I would believe the warrants of whether a lightly used Focus Titanium with black rims would justify $15,000 should be in a thread of itself. We're a bit off-topic here [rofl] ...
Agreed.

I've been hesitant even to reply to your comment and take someone elses thread further off-topic, but I had to LOL at the comments following yours. Like herding cats. I hope someone follows your advice (I'm too lazy to right now) because it's a conversation I'd join in on, if in its own thread.

... I wonder what the OP has decided on which car to buy though...
Ditto.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts