Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
OP here. 2 MT contenders I've found somewhat locally. Guess this is lucky as some here have said they had to travel quite far to get theirs. Also, I prefer the sedan over the hatch, and I think MT sedans are even more rare.

So...door #1 or #2? [scratch]

#1: 2014, 54K miles, $8000. Carfax shows 2 previous owners, rear collision but low insurance payout which likely implies only rear bumper change.

#2: 2015, 47K miles, $10000. 1 owner, no accidents.

I hate it when there's 2 choices, each with goodies the other doesn't have. [:(!]

I thought I preferred the MK3 look hands down, but the MK3.5 look has grown on me, and I might be liking it more actually. But I definitely prefer black, though among all other colors, white would be my second choice. #1 has an aftermarket twin chrome exhaust tip, which I don't like. Maybe I can quickly spray it with some black high-heat paint. #2 is stock. For either car, I'll get new black wheels and tires. Should look good for all black car, probably with white car too.

Anyone have an opinion on what they'd personally prefer?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'd never own a black car again, so #2. Are they both SE?
Yup, both are SE. Why against black - is it because it's so easy to see all the imperfections, chips, paint swirls, etc? I'm like that. I have a Lincoln in black and I hated, especially when I first got it, how my attention would always just focus on the imperfections. Didn't have a choice though - I like Lincoln and wanted one and a Lincoln has to be black. But took away from enjoying the car. I was pretty much sure I'd never get another black car but since I'm buying used I'm thinking it won't drive me nuts as much.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Why against black - is it because it's so easy to see all the imperfections, chips, paint swirls, etc?
Black is the best looking color new on the lot, but it's a PITA for the reasons you stated. More power to anyone who has one, but it's just not for me.

Do either of them have maintenance records, maybe noted in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
180 Posts
i love black cars, but i probably will not own one again

had a black zx3 that would give you 1st degree burns, and had killer ac but it would never cool off the interior, went to a white mk3

is night and day too cliche?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Go for the black one......No refrigerator white for me......boriiiing color....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Black is the best looking color new on the lot, but it's a PITA for the reasons you stated. More power to anyone who has one, but it's just not for me.

Do either of them have maintenance records, maybe noted in the owner's manual?
Haven't checked out the white one yet because it's a bit of a short distance away from me and haven't had the time. Trying to go this week. Black one only had one service record indicated in the CarFax. But I've seen a lot of CarFaxes and none of them ever listed regular, multiple services on the vehicle and the form says as much - that services may not be reported to CarFax. The dealer didn't have any service records, which I didn't like, but I'm trying not to focus on that too much. The dealer is a Dodge-Chrysler and their used car div seems quite a bit more developed than the typical place I've come across or would expect. They really seem to take it seriously. But then again I haven't biought a used car in forever, so maybe I'm being naive. [unsure]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a white Civic in Los Angeles. With the tint and sun shades, it was remarkably cool in the car when it was 100 F outside. Given that you're in NY, you probably won't be sweating it (see what I did there?!)

My Focus is black, and yeah she shows dirt like crazy, but her color has *never* made me rethink the purchase (though I admit I lust after the blue Ford used on the Mk3). If the color was the *only* differentiating factor between two options, go with your gut/personal preference. Otherwise, look at how well each vehicle was maintained, the condition of each, what features there are/aren't, etc. IMHO, color should be one of the last things looked at for a used car (though I admit, I would loathe buying a gold/beige car).

·
Registered
861 Posts
But I've seen a lot of CarFaxes and none of them ever listed regular, multiple services on the vehicle and the form says as much - that services may not be reported to CarFax. The dealer didn't have any service records,
SOMETIMES the previous owner will record maintenance in their owner's or maintenance books. I'll flip through them quickly when I'm looking at a used car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Go for the black one......No refrigerator white for me......boriiiing color....

White might be boring to many but it’s safe. You can daily drive it w/o dusting it off 24/7 & it remains cool in the summer time. Go onto tire rack & buy the black painted 18” ST snowflakes & mount those on white Focus SE & that’s a sporty looking car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... Why against black? ... I was pretty much sure I'd never get another black car but since I'm buying used I'm thinking it won't drive me nuts as much.
It will -- if you like the car. (Don't buy a car you won't like.)

... - how's the manual transmission? Is it pretty much problem free and reliable? Or is there anything problematic about it? Any general opinions? Thanks all.
See: Purchasing a Focus, list of things to check over?

* When the '15s came out I much preferred the exterior styling of the '14s but today I'd probably pay more attention to the interior. The radio controls in the '14 are dumb and the exterior styling of the '15 still looks better than any of the other cars I'd consider buying these days.

* The '15 has alloy wheels.

* The '15 is white. The one black car I have owned looked better than any of the others -- when it was clean. The gray car I own now can be pretty dirty and not show it. I have owned two white cars and my wife four (her favorite). White is as bad as black for showing dirt but all the light it reflects keeps the swirl marks etc. from being seen when you're done washing and drying it. Ditto all the other responses about black vs. white (black car always hotter inside on sunny days, etc.).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would never own a white car it's beyond boring. I live in the south and have a black car, a dark gray/silver car, and a light silver car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
White might be boring to many but it’s safe. You can daily drive it w/o dusting it off 24/7 & it remains cool in the summer time. Go onto tire rack & buy the black painted 18” ST snowflakes & mount those on white Focus SE & that’s a sporty looking car.
Heh, heh. I love focusfsnatics. [loveff] He hasn't even bought a car yet and we're all thinking of mods to recommend.

I love the style of the "snowflakes" but at 27 lbs each they might as well be boat anchors. (Same for the Titanium handling package 18" five-spokes from '12-'14.)

Not a problem maybe with the extra ~90 hp on an ST, but as much as I like the way they look, I wouldn't put them on one of the 160 hp cars.

I've even come to feel that way about the black painted + machined face 17" wheels Ford has sold for SE models. (I love the way they look so much that I still fear buying a set in a weak moment when my tires need to be replaced despite their weight.) At 24 lbs. that's still a lot compared to the 19 lb. 16" wheels. The later style for the '15 and later SEs are also gorgeous on the later cars but probably don't weigh any less.

Both TireRack and AmericasTire have 17" x 8" wheels that weigh the same or less than the stock 16" x 7" wheels. I just wish any of them looked better (to me) than the stock wheels.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Heh, heh. I love focusfsnatics. [loveff] He hasn't even bought a car yet and we're all thinking of mods to recommend.

I love the style of the "snowflakes" but at 27 lbs each they might as well be boat anchors. (Same for the Titanium handling package 18" five-spokes from '12-'14.)

Not a problem maybe with the extra ~90 hp on an ST, but as much as I like the way they look, I wouldn't put them on one of the 160 hp cars.

I've even come to feel that way about the black painted + machined face 17" wheels Ford has sold for SE models. (I love the way they look so much that I still fear buying a set in a weak moment when my tires need to be replaced despite their weight.) At 24 lbs. that's still a lot compared to the 19 lb. 16" wheels. The later style for the '15 and later SEs are also gorgeous on the later cars but probably don't weigh any less.

Both TireRack and AmericasTire have 17" x 8" wheels that weigh the same or less than the stock 16" x 7" wheels. I just wish any of them looked better (to me) than the stock wheels.

I have the 18” Titanium wheel upgrade & it looks fantastic. I still get 30 mpg. I never buy aftermarket wheels. I prefer the factory look & hate mods. You’ll never see me tune a car, no exhaust etc., waste of money & eliminates 99% of potential buyers & kills resale value.

Here’s mine, I powder-coated the factory 18” wheels gloss Black & put OEM 235/40/18 ST tires on the car. I’d estimate it added 2k value to my car. I’d sell it right now for no less than 15k.

IMG_4920.jpg

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have the 18” Titanium wheel upgrade & it looks fantastic. I still get 30 mpg. I never buy aftermarket wheels. I prefer the factory look & hate mods. You’ll never see me tune a car, no exhaust etc., waste of money & eliminates 99% of potential buyers & kills resale value.

Here’s mine, I powder-coated the factory 18” wheels gloss Black & put OEM 235/40/18 ST tires on the car. I’d estimate it added 2k value to my car. I’d sell it right now for no less than 15k.

View attachment 259013

Damn I knew you were a boring person. Somebody would have to be an idiot to give you $15,000.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 125 Posts