Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve got a 2012 SE with the 5 speed manual. I bought it used with 85k on it and at 100k the clutch Grenaded on the freeway from a 5th to 4th shift. The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option. Generally aftermarket manufacturers will produce a single mass flywheel and clutch assembly, but nobody does for these cars

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone else find the MTX-75 difficult to shift into gear when it's super cold?
Sure, when the car is not warmed up yet, and I'm not at a complete stop, and it's about 5 degrees F (-15 C), then yeah, it's hard to shift into first gear. Usually around -5 F (-20 C), I'll often have to double-clutch (and sometimes rev match) on my first shift from first to second gear, but she warms up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A ‘14 w/ 55k miles for $8k seems very cheap. How’s the carfax? Any accidents? How many owners? The previous owner likely had a long weekday commute, so 55k is probably mostly freeway miles, which is obviously better for a manual. I wouldn’t necessarily rule it out, but just do your homework & have it checked out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Ya for sure, I'm going to do all of that. Funnily though, my biggest initial concern when considering a used car is the rust! All the rust on my 2000 has me crazy over it. I honestly can't remember if I had it treated for rust at purchase, but I want to make sure that whatever I get now is rust free and then I'll be sure to have it treated. This particular car is being sold by a Chrysler dealer so hopefully they can put it on a lift for me so that I can check out the underbody. I know newer cars these days are inherently more corrosion-resistant than older cars, but oh man...winters here in the NE can be brutal on cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’ve got a 2012 SE with the 5 speed manual. I bought it used with 85k on it and at 100k the clutch Grenaded on the freeway from a 5th to 4th shift. The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option. Generally aftermarket manufacturers will produce a single mass flywheel and clutch assembly, but nobody does for these cars
Hmm...that's interesting, good to know. I'm hoping though performing the actual clutch replacement is still pretty much standard, the same as on any other small car? I'd hate to think Ford going all proprietary on things like that. Though I guess they are if only they produce the parts. You got yours at quite high mileage also, hope overall it's been a good car for you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option.
How long ago was that? I see a number of aftermarket clutch kits available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 5-speed is the MTX-75 which is a beefy transmission. It's used in the SVT Contour so a Focus is not pushing it hard at all. You don't see a lot about it here because it doesn't really have any problems. The gear ratios felt weird to me at first coming from an Integra 5-speed but I've adapted. On the highway you have to drop into 3rd to get any real passing power since 4th and 5th are both overdrive gears.
i am agree with you whatever you have indicate here. actually it's seem like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm...that's interesting, good to know. I'm hoping though performing the actual clutch replacement is still pretty much standard, the same as on any other small car? I'd hate to think Ford going all proprietary on things like that. Though I guess they are if only they produce the parts. You got yours at quite high mileage also, hope overall it's been a good car for you.
The only negative that I have with that scenario is that the clutch (when I needed to buy mine) was only available from a Ford dealer. Nobody else makes a replacement. The second negative is the flywheel. It’s a dual mass setup and cannot be resurfaced. Mine had hot spots on it and need to be be replaced, also a Ford only option.
How long ago was that? I see a number of aftermarket clutch kits available.
About a year ago roughly. At the time I called all of the auto parts stores, I called a transmission shop that a buddy owns to have him check for parts and nobody showed part numbers for any of the major aftermarket manufactures for a 2.0 se 5 speed. At the time I could find aftermarket parts for the ST cars and the RS cars. I haven’t checked in a while because the current clutch is sound fine. has the aftermarket produced a clutch and flywheel for these cars? Can you post a link?

Clutch and flywheel replacement was simple, I did it on the floor in the garage by myself in 8 hours

·
Registered
244 Posts
We have a 2006 zx3 160k miles and a 2014 SE 45k with manuals. No cold issues at all, down to zero degrees. Fluid is a little thick at those temps but no shift issues. Love driving it would never buy a DCT.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine works just fine at -37° (F or C does it matter at that temperature). My car has 101k. I'm gentle though and good at shifting right when the synchros are less important. One trans fluid change so far.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine did fine shifting on the coldest days in PA this year (around -3F). Just a bit stiffer than normal but no problems. I have done one transmission fluid change at about 110K miles using Ford DCT fluid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, the manual trans on a Focus is hard to find; the only dealer who had one equipped the way I wanted was in Southern California, more than 450 miles away from where I live; ended up flying down driving the car and making the deal, then driving home.

The DCT transmission has been a problem from day one; I had experience with the transmission in my years at VW/Audi level and it was a problem with VW/Audi as well. (we could get into the difference between the wet clutch/dry clutch set ups, but that's not really important here). The last that I've heard thru a few people at the local Ford store is that the late 2016 on models seem to be okay and the last rental I had in 2017 of a Ford Focus hatchback SE with less than 1k on it, seems to confirm that improvements have been made in the unit.

But, given the history on the transmission, even with the extended factory warranty on the DCT units, regardless of how many owners its had, leaves me with the feeling that I'd make the effort to find a manual transmission if I were getting an other Focus. Mine was fun to drive, though the stock engine with no modifications needed to rev a bit to get going even a little bit... Just my 2 cents worth, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an F150. Talked to Tom about tuning one of those, but DAMN my 5 speed Focus is running so damn great! Like a new car and I am not even exaggerating. I am reluctant to get rid of her but if someone was interested I could part with her to an enthusiast. ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm happy with the 5 speed. Reminds me a lot of the trans I had on my 2000 Integra GSR.

Unfortunately the only 5 speed available on a non ST at the time I was buying was the basic S trim.

Don't remember having any issues in cold weather, but the coldest it got here was about 15 degress F.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an F150. Talked to Tom about tuning one of those, but DAMN my 5 speed Focus is running so damn great! Like a new car and I am not even exaggerating. I am reluctant to get rid of her but if someone was interested I could part with her to an enthusiast. ;-)
I'd take it off your hands but you're a bit far away. I got the same car for my daughter and I have the DCT. I've got the DCT running great so it would be a good time to sell it and find a 5-speed or an ST to replace it. I much prefer driving the MT5 to the auto.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts