Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't visited the forum in quite some time, last time being when I was repairing my 2000. My 2000 has pretty much had it now with the rust and I was thinking of finding a nice condition 1st Gen to replace it since it was such a great car. Have to admit though, I quite like the look of the MK3, 2012+. I am however just now finding out about the Powershift/DCT transmission issues. I've been reading a lot about it, trying to familiarize myself with the problems. Concerning the manual transmission though, I don't seem to see much info on it - good or bad - and it's no wonder as in my general searching so far, the overwhelming majority of cars for sale seem to be automatics. So I just wanted to ask - how's the manual transmission? Is it pretty much problem free and reliable? Or is there anything problematic about it? Any general opinions? Thanks all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2012 5-speed that I bought new and it has been very reliable. I’m at 218k miles and still drive it daily with absolutely no trans related problems. It’s had one fluid change and is on the original clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a ‘13 Titanium Hatch w/ the DCT. It is what it is, a manual trans. electronically controlled by a computer. The shifting points are odd, however I still think it’s better vs. daily driving a 5 spd. manual.

You can find 2012-2014 Focus SE manuals but you’ll have to expand your search as most will be DCT’s. Go test drive a local DCT, you might be okay with it. The Focus offers a lot for the low price points. I’m seeing 2016-2018 SEL & Titanium’s priced as low as $14-15k., which is a steal considering the amount of options those two cars have & they’ll both get 30+mpg.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have two 2012s, one with the DCT and another with the 5-speed MT. The MT wins hands down. Great car to drive and so far no problems. The clutch on my DCT has been replaced 3 times and there are probably more in its future. I would estimate a new one every couple of years.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Best off looking for a stick.....mtx75= you can't beat that vs a dct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 5-speed is the MTX-75 which is a beefy transmission. It's used in the SVT Contour so a Focus is not pushing it hard at all. You don't see a lot about it here because it doesn't really have any problems. The gear ratios felt weird to me at first coming from an Integra 5-speed but I've adapted. On the highway you have to drop into 3rd to get any real passing power since 4th and 5th are both overdrive gears.

·
Registered
963 Posts
110K+ miles on the original clutch and fluid. No problems and it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info everyone. It's certainly reassuring to me, especially after coming across all that negative info on the DCT.

I have a ‘13 Titanium Hatch w/ the DCT. It is what it is, a manual trans. electronically controlled by a computer. The shifting points are odd, however I still think it’s better vs. daily driving a 5 spd. manual.

You can find 2012-2014 Focus SE manuals but you’ll have to expand your search as most will be DCT’s. Go test drive a local DCT, you might be okay with it. The Focus offers a lot for the low price points. I’m seeing 2016-2018 SEL & Titanium’s priced as low as $14-15k., which is a steal considering the amount of options those two cars have & they’ll both get 30+mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
You're not kidding...I just came across a very nice all black 2015 SE sedan, 50K, loaded with EVERYTHING, under $14K. I initially thought I'd stay away from that 2015+ Aston Martin-like front facia (hence was looking at 2012-14), but it actually looks pretty good, especially in all black.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
A little late to the party, but chiming in with another endorsement of the MTX-75. I have owned 3 Fords with that transmission, including an '01 Cougar with the 2.5L Duratec V6. I put 250,000 miles on the Cougar (and then sold it to my nephew for $1, and he put another 25k on it). It didn't need a clutch replacement until about 180,000 miles. By about 210k or so, the 3rd gear synchro started failing. The trannys in the other two cars (with much less mileage) were completely trouble free.

If you don't abuse it, the MTX-75 in the Focus will give you many years of trouble-free miles.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just came across a very nice all black 2015 SE sedan, 50K, loaded with EVERYTHING, under $14K. I initially thought I'd stay away from that 2015+ Aston Martin-like front facia (hence was looking at 2012-14), but it actually looks pretty good, especially in all black.
5spd's can be hard to find, so if you find a good one at a fair price, jump on it. I searched for a while, and had to drive 100+ miles to get mine.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Hi, I haven't visited the forum in quite some time, last time being when I was repairing my 2000. My 2000 has pretty much had it now with the rust and I was thinking of finding a nice condition 1st Gen to replace it since it was such a great car. Have to admit though, I quite like the look of the MK3, 2012+. I am however just now finding out about the Powershift/DCT transmission issues. I've been reading a lot about it, trying to familiarize myself with the problems. Concerning the manual transmission though, I don't seem to see much info on it - good or bad - and it's no wonder as in my general searching so far, the overwhelming majority of cars for sale seem to be automatics. So I just wanted to ask - how's the manual transmission? Is it pretty much problem free and reliable? Or is there anything problematic about it? Any general opinions? Thanks all.
Open up your search radius for a stick.......

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone. It's certainly reassuring to me, especially after coming across all that negative info on the DCT.

You're not kidding...I just came across a very nice all black 2015 SE sedan, 50K, loaded with EVERYTHING, under $14K. I initially thought I'd stay away from that 2015+ Aston Martin-like front facia (hence was looking at 2012-14), but it actually looks pretty good, especially in all black.

That looks like the SE ‘Sport appearance package’ that was offered in 2015-2016? I love the factory black wheels & black painted bottom moldings. That’s a great looking car. As far as the body styles go, I actually like the 2015-2018 bodies better vs. my 2013, but both of them look sharp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5spd's can be hard to find, so if you find a good one at a fair price, jump on it. I searched for a while, and had to drive 100+ miles to get mine.
Well, I've found a 2014, 5-spd, 55,000 mi for $8000. Mileage is a little higher than I was hoping, but maybe that should be overlooked in light of it being a manual?

Or maybe 55K mi isn't high in yours guys' books? I've actually never owned a car to super high mileage. Even my 2000 Focus is at 119K mi, taking nearly 20 years to reach that.

I can do my own comparisons for sure, but maybe I should be acting on this quick...so what does anyone think of those numbers? Good enough deal?

And since I might be on the quick here and can't do a ton of research, is it pretty much consensus here that the MK3 is a solid car?

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I only have 46,000 miles on mine but I really like it,it's been problem free and it makes the car more fun to drive vs the DCT which I've driven several and regardless of it being a manual that electronically...blah,blah,blah.... when really it's still is an automatic that is slow to shift and hunts for gears more than it should and I don't think I could live with the thought of a common problem lurking around the corner.

If they didn't offer a 5 speed I likely would be driving a Mazda3 hatch with a nice shifting 6 speed.

Yeah,manuals do kinda suck in traffic but if that is a concern there's better and much more reliable options.

·
Registered
160 Posts
While I drive a second generation Focus (2010) with the MTX-75 5-speed, the transmission has been reliable to me so far. Besides being a daily driver I have taken it on four road trips in two years. Recommend without reservation!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does anyone else find the MTX-75 difficult to shift into gear when it's super cold?
Yeah. Usually first gear though. So what I'll do is shift into second before going into first, then let off the clutch.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, I've found a 2014, 5-spd, 55,000 mi for $8000. Mileage is a little higher than I was hoping, but maybe that should be overlooked in light of it being a manual?

Or maybe 55K mi isn't high in yours guys' books? I've actually never owned a car to super high mileage. Even my 2000 Focus is at 119K mi, taking nearly 20 years to reach that.

I can do my own comparisons for sure, but maybe I should be acting on this quick...so what does anyone think of those numbers? Good enough deal?

And since I might be on the quick here and can't do a ton of research, is it pretty much consensus here that the MK3 is a solid car?

A ‘14 w/ 55k miles for $8k seems very cheap. How’s the carfax? Any accidents? How many owners? The previous owner likely had a long weekday commute, so 55k is probably mostly freeway miles, which is obviously better for a manual. I wouldn’t necessarily rule it out, but just do your homework & have it checked out really good.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts