Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the thing, i recently got myself new rims for my car since i had found out that 3 of my rims were bent. It was suggested by the tire place i went to and it gave me an excuse to actually get new rims (something i've been planning but since they weren't "needed" i've held off) But after looking at them today i didn't really see all that much damage to them...yeah a couple had slight bents here and there but nothing all that "bad". I mean the guy showed me one of them on the balancing machine they have and I did see that one of them was bent...(although i didn't get to see the other 3 on there)

What i'm trying to get at is...would it be a bad idea if i got new tires and used these as my winter setup? I had originally planned on getting another set of real cheaply priced rims for winter but garage space is limited and I don't necessarily want to throw these out or use another new set of rims just for winter.

These are the pics I took of them...

Rim #1

http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0076.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0077.JPG

Rim #2

http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0078.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0079.JPG

Rim #3

http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0080.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0081.JPG

Rim #4

http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0082.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~superchop83/IMG_0083.JPG

Should I stick with these or just trash them and get a different set.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't see any bends.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
even on bent rims, the tires maybe won't hold the proper tire pressure and will deflate. my stock rim was bent at the rim and when i took it in for a new tire. they wouldn't guarentee that it would hold pressure because the inner rim was bent a little. i never had any problems with it deflating.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's the whole issue that worries me...

before i had the tires removed there were no air leaks, but i'm afraid that since new tires would have to be put on that the tire be as a "tight" fit (for lack of better words) as it should.

The rims aren't all that bent...but there are slight bends on the inside lip of the rim...some are noticeable when seeing them in person...but i only managed to spot the bends on one of the rims...the other 2 that had them i couldn't see anything.

As for using these in the winter...i'm not all that worried since they lasted me 2 winters already...and i'd rather use these then my new rims. Not only cause i don't want to ruin the new ones...but also cause I have summer tires on them (and i'm not exactly thrilled having to run summer tires in the snow...i did that the last 2 years and it was not fun at all)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You might want to check around for a shop that can repair rims too..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've thought about having them repaired...the only problem is that having them fixed will probably be over 100 per wheel making it between 300-400+ for all of them. And for that much money i can just get another cheap set of rims.

I mean...i'm all for fixing them up...but if i get the bends fixed then i'll want to have all the curb marks fixed as well.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Can you actually see the bends, or is the shop just saying that their balancing machine is detecting them and that it can't be corrected with weights? If the latter is the case you may want to consider taking them elsewhere for a second opinion, because in the pictures you posted they don't appear to be bent. Another thing to keep in mind is that a bend in the rim itself doesn't automatically mean the wheel is trash...the tire mounts down inside the wheel itself, the rim is just there to keep the tire from drifting off. If the inside of the wheel isn't bent and its just a slight bend in the rim it should still be OK to use.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
SkaAddict said:
I wouldn't use SVT 5-spokes in the winter...they're pretty weak since they have so much rim between each spoke.
So true [:(]

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i would just suggest selling me your svt's for A LOW LOW price!! cLOL[thumb]

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
You can get your wheels fixed for about 50.00 a rim locally, there is also places online you can ship them too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmotank - Lol, if i do decide to sell them for cheap...you'll be the first i contact [thumb]

SkaAddict - well..the one wheel that i saw, they had it on the balancing machine and they had a little metal hammerish type thing up against the inside of the rim. And it did bounce back at least once from what i noticed as the wheel was turning. The other 2 I don't know cause they didn't show me..they just told me they were. But yeah...i'm gonna see if i can get a second opinion...there's another tire place by where i work and since they're customers of where i work they might be able to give me a little discount. The only thing is that the current place that i go to is right around the corner from me and the owner of the place knows my father so he was able to help me out a bit.

As for getting them fixed...i'll have to see if there are any other places locally...I most likely won't ship them since shipping will probably be expensive...but if they don't charge anywhere near 100 per wheel...then i'll just do that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would run them in winter , but run a slightly taller, narrower tire like a 205/50/17. That'll give you more cushion from the potholes and more bite on your winter tires. Plus, higher profile tires are generally cheaper! If you can find them in your area, Nokian makes some of the best winter tires in the world. I have Blizzaks and have been very happy with them, but when it comes time to replace them , the Hakkas are going on. http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=1&w=1

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but how exactly would a narrower tire fit on the rims? Would the sides stretch out farther then they're supposed to until they reach the lip of the rim?

Other then my little confusion on that, running a higher profile tire actually isn't a bad idea...I was thinking about getting some smaller rims for winter and getting rid of these...but i'll just do that instead.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
10-15 or even 20 mm isn't going to make all that much of a difference...if you look at a given tire size it has a range of wheel widths it will fit on, such as 6-7.5". The sidewall stretches slightly to make up the difference. Going from 205 to 195 or even 185 isn't that big of a deal. The idea to using narrower tires in the winter is they can plow through snow since the weight is more concentrated, however, this should only be a consideration if you live in a climate where there is constantly a lot of snow on the roads throughout the winter. Here in Ohio (for example) the roads might be snow covered one day and they'll be dry the day after, so I run on normal width snow tires in the winter.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...the winters here aren't all "that bad" Last year we've got like 2-3 snow storms out of the entire 3 months. With only 1 real bad storm that just left a lot of slush on the roads for a couple of days (main roads that is...back roads are another story) So I don't think I should worry about running narrower tires (right?).

Thanks for all this info, It's times like this that make me realize how much I don't know :p For example...I knew that it was always a better idea to run narrow tires in the snow but the only reason i knew for that was cause it was easier for something thinner to cut through the snow as oppossed to larger width tires. Lol, i'm learning something new everyday.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i've got worse bends in my winter rims (svt 5 spoke) and they haven't given me any problems.
i'd keep em, it'll cost less to keep them then get rid of them and want a set later for winter.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it if you have the roads snow-covered every once in a while, unless the narrower tires are significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I've decided to just do that...one reason i thought of getting rid of them was that the first place i went to the guy kept saying that he can send them out to get fixed...he kept suggesting that everytime i would ask him if i could still use those. But a couple days ago I went to get a second opinion at another tire/wheel place and they said that it should be fine...just that the ride might be a bit shakey and i might get a bit of noise. But...I don't like having too smooth a ride cause it never feels as if i'm going as fast as i really am.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts