Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2002 focus and its at this point taken a complete shit on me, so im looking to upgrade to a new one. Im looking at the 17 and 18 models, out of the 2 which would you recommend and with what features? And what features should i avoid? I already know not to get one with a powershift transmission. But the dealership near me has a used 2017 for 10 5. It was traded in from a rental company due to a recall. Any tips or what to look for so i can decide better would be great thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not particularly up on the differences between '17 and '18 models, however

A '17 is likely to cost a bit less, and with similar mileage, likely to last about as long. Given that your '02 has dies of natural causes, I'd guess that you're likely to be driving this until it's done. By that token, an eventual resale value is probably not an issue, so you may be better off looking for the one that's a bit cheaper now, particularly if it is likely to last about the same overall.

Of course whenever dealing with a used car, you pretty much have to evaluate them on a case-by-case basis.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I currently drive a 2002 focus and its at this point taken a complete shit on me, so im looking to upgrade to a new one. Im looking at the 17 and 18 models, out of the 2 which would you recommend and with what features? And what features should i avoid? I already know not to get one with a powershift transmission. But the dealership near me has a used 2017 for 10 5. It was traded in from a rental company due to a recall. Any tips or what to look for so i can decide better would be great thanks
2018. Avoid the DCT at all costs. Even if the finally "got it right" it's not worth the headache.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what ive found through car fax the 2017 was brought in for emissions system warranty work which im worried about that failing each year causing it to cost me more money each year just to register it. I'm going in tonight though to get a closer look into it.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
108 Posts
There really is no differences between the 2017 and 2018. Both are the same. I would get the Titanium with the Active Park Assist and full Tech Pak. I'm all about the options.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 17 SEL just turned 52,000 miles, no problems with the DCT. It has the moonroof, remote start, winter package with heated steering wheel and seats and is comfortable on my 120 mile a day round trip to work and back. My wife's 14 Titanium has 135000 miles, her transmission was rebuilt at 51,000 miles (in one day) and has the latest clutches and program with no issues at all. At volume dealers right now new ones are going for around 7 grand under sticker, so they may be worth checking out if your budget allows.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
My 17 SEL just turned 52,000 miles, no problems with the DCT. It has the moonroof, remote start, winter package with heated steering wheel and seats and is comfortable on my 120 mile a day round trip to work and back. My wife's 14 Titanium has 135000 miles, her transmission was rebuilt at 51,000 miles (in one day) and has the latest clutches and program with no issues at all. At volume dealers right now new ones are going for around 7 grand under sticker, so they may be worth checking out if your budget allows.
No one should have to redo a trans at 50k on a late model vehicle......7K under means they can't even give them away. You'd have to drive the miles out of it to recoup some of the cost. Total different car w/ a stick thou.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you want the same reliability as your 02 get a 5 speed with the 2.0L. In this configuration there really is no reason to even go as new as 17 or 18. I would find a lowish mileage 2014-2016 and save a bunch of money.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No one should have to redo a trans at 50k on a late model vehicle......7K under means they can't even give them away. You'd have to drive the miles out of it to recoup some of the cost. Total different car w/ a stick thou.
I agree that 51K was low to have it rebuilt, but did not cost a cent and took a day. I paid $7500 under for my 17 SEL as well, quite typical with volume dealers actually and about average for every new car purchase I have made in the past 12 or so years. My experience is that the DCT has become fairly reliable in its latter years, at least the ones I drive. Of course I also drive a 14 Mustang GT with over 600 RWHP and an MT82 transmission so I may be a bit jaded[hihi] Now the '12 Nissan Rogue we traded in for the '14 Titanium, that had transmission troubles. The CVT in it would overheat in situations like accelerating into traffic and would leave you there free revving in the middle of of traffic. We damn near got killed because of it and the car spent 4 1/2 months in the shop with parts on backorder from Japan and Nissan North America picking up the nearly $10,000 rental car bill. As soon as we got it back and realized that there was another recall for an issue that was burning the car to the ground, we traded it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts