Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a search on this and there was not much to go on, so I'm gonna go ahead and ask again. Does anyone have any personal experience with Audiobahn products, or know anything about the quality? Specifically, I'm looking at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4940&item=3073618691&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

While I'm at it, here's the other speakers I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=14940&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=14940&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

Any of these any good? I would prefer to do something that's a straight drop-in replacement for the front doors. For now I'm leaving the rear speakers as-is, along with the subwoofer. Suggestions welcome. [thumb]

·
Registered
245 Posts
I didn't check any of your links out, but, I will point out that audio quality is a personal choice based on you personal preferences, not what we think.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know but I'm talking more like "did it fall apart in six months?" rather than "how does it sound?" Frankly just about any aftermarket speaker will probably sound better than the factory speakers. I've always been happy with Boston Acoustics speakers but this time around I'm not interested in spending $300 for a couple speakers...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the kappas you were looking at and I like them quite a bit, but those audiobahns are interesting. As far as Audiobahn experience I have the AW1005Q and A8002T and I love them even though the SQ is worse than my MTX I used to have in my old taurus. I have no experience with Audiobahn's speakers only their subs, which are loud but lacking in the SQ department

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, thanks for the input. I kinda figured the Infinity's were pretty much a given that they would sound good and be well-made (never really heard anything bad about Infinity stuff). Just wondering if the Audiobahn's are decent since they are pretty cheap. I like the fact that it is a "plate" style speaker with round rather than oval cones...

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i have a low opinion of audibahn products, my friend has two blown subs made by them but when tehy were working they sounded horrible, i like infinity speakers, they are usualy good quality, for a better price and a more assuring ebay deal go to http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3073292591&category=14940 , it's ikesound on ebay, i've ordered from them before, good prices and good items.

- Scott

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a feeling you were going to say that. [:D] Oh well, Infinity it is I guess - unless I find a good deal on some Boston's. It is a shame, actually, I have a set of Boston 4-inchers and a set of Boston Rally 6x9's but neither is a good fit for the Focus.

Oh, how about Nakamichi? I have never heard Nak speakers; they are going for decent prices on eBay also. What with having a Nak head unit and all...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would give another praise on Infinitis, no one I know has complained about them. I have a type R for sale along with a a MTX amp... nothing will touch this combo.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
if you aren't going to have these speakers amp'd your not going to notice any difference really, with less than 20 watts going to your speakers you probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference between them. i would just get something that isn't real expensive. and if you want a cheap replacement for the rears you could get cl-6's from thezeb.com for $50 shipped, they are pretty good fro the price.

- Scott

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
well if you do want to spend the extra money i heard Focal Access speakers are supposed to be good, but for the same price you could get some nice componets like the ones i have, cdt cl-61a's from thezeb.com for $150 shipped, but then you'll need to make an adapter plate.

- Scott

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have heard good things about Audiobahn amps but they come up short on the speakers and subs. Only plus is that they are so cheap on e-bay that you could buy replacements at any time. Infinity make some awesome products and the only reason why a lot of high end installers don't use their products is because they are sold at Circuit City.

The best components I have ever heard are the CDT 61a's and the Three way jl audio set up.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
i've had audiobahn amps, subs, components, and monitors. and i still have my boxed aw1200 and aw1205x sitting around, had the aw1200 for 4 yrs now and it never blew, was hooked off my home stereo, then off my audiobahn 1200w amp that was hooked up for 2 years without a problem, my brother also uses 4 audiobahn 12's in his ws-6 without a problem...and so do many of my friends...we have all purchased from a place near here that made all the inclosures in house and always reccomended there products....ps, this guy still has zeus amps chillin. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
above average

I would say audiobahns are an above average product. The have descent SQ and seem to be pretty wel made from my experience. Like you probably already know...you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Audiobahn is very below average equipment. I have only seen it sold in fleamarkets, pawn shops and store that also sell appilances and furnature. never a honest to god stereo store.
In all my years competing( 15+) thye have never shown them selfs to be any good. never heard any one that sounded good. Save some money and get a better brand

Tim

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had a pair of flam q's and they sounded great and hit hard,but ive heard bad ones too that were the same ones and the guy i go to for audio and electronics says its all dependant on the box u use,so i would go flame q's with a vt box and ull be happy i was it almost rattled my car to peices so i sold it for mods.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sheesh, okay. Point made, Audiobahn = crap. [:D] [:I]

Seriously though I think I'm gonna go with either Boston's or Infinity's for the 5x7's. For now the sub remains the factory stock one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I got in touch with Audiobahn for some business opportunity and went to their HQ last year. I also checked around that time for opinions, but basically I found 2 completely different kind. Either someone was loving it - best sounding subs, etc - or they hated it as it was crap.

In a few weeks I'm going to set-up a demo with them - I know a few people at their HQ and last time I could go only after business hours - as I'm curious how they built their demo vehicle and what the SQ would be.

For my taste they are very flashy - lots of chrome, neon, etc - but I like to make up my own mind how they sound. As for quality, they are more into SPL than SQ, last year they placed 4th I believe on one of the competitions with 170+ dB with their demo car. So I will see. If you are interested afterwards, let me know and I can tell you how it went.

But from your selection, I would probably choose the JL's. I've heard many of their models and they sound quite good - don't heard the Infinitis, no opinion on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts