Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this all started about a couple days ago while my father, my uncle and a friend of the family were browsing through all the booths at the English town market/fair/whatever you call it, and while walking around my father jokingly said that he would go buy this sub for my car (i'm not around). So when the friend of the family heard that he said "no...don't buy it, i got one back at my shop that i can just give to you" (he owns his own car shop and runs into things like this often i'm assuming) So yeah...they got back to his shop and he then gave my father the box with 2 subs in it. Pictured below

Now...normally i'd be happy receiving something like this for no cost at all...but the fact is that the box is pretty big and leaves practically no trunk space whatsoever. But the thing is that it was a gift from the guy and i feel that if i don't use it in some way he'll think that i'm being ungrateful, and by thinking that he might not be inclined to help me with anything else. He also said that i need a "mono" (I believe those were his words...since they went through him, to my father to myself) amp. So i decided to ask here on any opinions and suggestions since practically everyone here owns a focus and knows a lot more then i do (which i know nothing of this sort of thing.)

I was just thinking that all i can do is hook them up in a way that they can be easily removed if i need the space, but i don't know how easy/hard that would be to do.

Any help on this is appreciated [:)]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
They look like JL Audio.

You would need to find out their power rating and go from there on which amp you need.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
if you mount the amp on the side or the back of the seat, all you would need to do is unhook the speaker wires and it would come right out.

and like cypder said, i would pull out a sub and find the model number, and get the power rating.

a mono amp is a single channel, high powered amp used for subs.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, well, i got all the information from the back of the subs as i could and this is what i got

JL Audio
12w6

I looked up that number on their site and i came to this page

JL Audio

and i found what i think is the ones i have the 12w6 but after that i have no idea what i'm looking at. It's things like this that i leave to people who know ;)

Thanks 213slayer666 and cpyder for helping [:)]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well, the site shows them rated at 300 Watts RMS.

Fs (free-air resonance): 20.9 Hz
Qts (total speaker “Q”): 0.433
Qes (electrical “Q”): 0.462
Qms (mechanical “Q”): 6.897
Vas (equivalent compliance): 5.73 ft3
Xmax (linear excursion one-way): 0.438 in.
Effi ciency (1W/1m)*: 86.9 dB
Sd (effective piston surface area): 82.5 in2
Re (DC resistance): 10.8 ^(in series)
Znom (nominal impedance): Dual 6 ^
Pt (continuous thermal power handling): 300 Watts

So basically any amp that can handle 2 300watt RMS subs should be fine.

Wiring...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
AAAhhhh dub 6's!! I would run them slightly high in the rms range being that it looks like you have a sealed box. I would also suggest a Rockford Fosgate T3002 amplifier. A true 300 watts per channel and I know myself that the amp is 1 ohm stable. That is going to be your draw back, you need an amp that is 1 ohm stable to get the most out of your subs. They will fire quicker at a higher power and you can set the gains to proper levels instead of cranking on them to get some sound out of your "dub 6's". Also the "note" that carries best in our type of cars is around 40-45hz, drop below that and they hear it outside the car more than in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cpyder and Squilly you've both been a great help. I'll browse around looking through different amps with the Rockford being on the top of the list. I'll let you guys know how things turn out once i have it all set up (or when i have other questions :p )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts