Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cars that im doing a budget build. Nothing ridiculous but just enough power to give me some low end. I prefer 12's so no questions asked about that.

What i have plan is this:

Wife mustang:

Already has a small Jenson 300w 2 channel. I would assume around 150w RMS bridged at 4 ohm.

-Rockford Fosgate R2D2-12. 250w RMS Dual voice coil 2 Ohm. Of course wired series to give a 4 ohm load. Yes its going to be under powered with jenson
-RF P300-2 Amplifier (Later down the road)
-Single ported box 1.78 Cu Ft tuned to 38 Hz. Prefabricated box.

She already has Polk audio GXR 57 speakers and they sound amazing. So I may keep those till they go.

My focus:

-R2D2-12 subwoofer.
- Rockford P300-2. Of course rockford always under rate their amps and Im sure it'll push out near 400w RMS bridged @ 4 Ohm
-Same prefab box as my wife.

Running JL 5x7s which sound amazing.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
that discussion on the other post got me wanting more boom again lol. i just got my alpine pdx-m6 in the mail today(= check it out on crutchfield!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Only advice I have is to take those prefab boxes and throw them out the window. Make one built to spec of your subwoofers. Not only will it increaase sound quality it could also make them louder.

And may i ask why your going to wire them to a 4ohm load ? why not wire them down to a 2 ohm load and get more power out of the amp?

Not sure what your budget is, but if your not opposed to buying used things, I sugest you go hunting for a nice 4 channel amp . hell I got one that puts out 60watts a channel 4 ohm for 20 bucks. Sure its an off brand but its cea2006 compliant. Not only will it make your speakers sound better but it will help out with the mid bass range
80-150hz.

Also The most important part of a build is instal. If you take time to do it right and do some "door work" (sealing off all the acces holes in your door and applying deadner) You will see alot better results with a lot less money

·
Registered
160 Posts
And may i ask why your going to wire them to a 4ohm load ? why not wire them down to a 2 ohm load and get more power out of the amp?
Did you see that he is running a 2-channel amp? That's the reason for the 4 ohm load...

If i were you, I would pass on the 2-channel amp and go with a Class D monoblock amp...then you could run that 2 ohm load and have a much more efficient amp. I know Rockford makes a Punch 300-1 and the birth sheets are reading nearly 400W RMS at 2 ohms. That would be plenty of power for what you have at the moment. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=108231&locale=en_US&p_status=

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
those speakers do 250rms, the 300.1 does about 400 thats 150 over for the sub. inless he gets 2 a 300.1 is to much at 2ohms. blow those speakers quick.

i suggest a p2 12" and 300.1 with a box built to specs. cheaper to build the box then buy a box. the sub is 190 and the amp is 240 on the rockford site. dont forget you 8 gauge power and ground kit and rca's rockford has an 8 gauge kit with rcas for 79. comes to about 500 a car there. less if you find the stuff cheaper dont doubt that you can.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Meh your better off over powering them then under powering them,
But like the above post reads, For 500 a car Im sure you could Do much much better if you buys used.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help.

I am really familiar with audio equipment. I don't have time to build a box nor do i have the tools to make one. I know you can have someone build you a box but price will be out of my range. I would love to build the box myself thus a pre fab box is what will work for now.

I have a small change in plans for the mustang. with a 12" subwoofer, It'll be hard to find a box that'll fit her car. I will have to go with 10" subwoofer and plan on going with either 2 R1D210 wired @ 2 Ohm or 2 Kicker comp 4 ohm. Will be buying a R250-1 rockford amp. Slightly underpowered.

Mustang is already equipped with 8 gauge power wires w/100a anl fuse.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My focus:

-R2D2-12 subwoofer.
- Rockford P300-2. Of course rockford always under rate their amps and Im sure it'll push out near 400w RMS bridged @ 4 Ohm
-Same prefab box as my wife.

Running JL 5x7s which sound amazing.

I have a typo.

Focus:

R2D4-12 Wired 2 ohm 250w RMS
P300-1 300w RMS @ 2 ohm.

The above statement was correct. My fault for the typo.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
]yes it is better to overpower then under power but over powering one of those r2d4 12 by 150 watts is to much. it will blow. those r2d4 12 are horrible! they are no better then a sony xplod. its like a cheap walmart sub.

focus

right here would be a good setup for only 350 plus any shipping. a p2d4-12", p300.1, 8 gauge install kit, and a bass knob. plus the box for 65 that 415 and shipping.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33857_Rockford-Fosgate-P2D4-12-11P2D412.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9852_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P300-1.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21141_Rockford-Fosgate-RFK8I.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8773_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-PEQ.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cart.php

mustang

price will be aroung 450-500 shippied for 2 10s and a p500.1 amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cart.php?action=added&item=19556

but if you got with a single 10 and a 300.1 price would be around 300-350 shipped

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cart.php?action=added&item=8389

total cost of 800-100 depending on what setup you do for the mustang

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
or you could be smart and for under $300 bucks get a kick ass system on your local craigslist..... thats pretty much the only place i find my stuff anymore. Car audio is one of those many things in the world thats value plumits with the purchase of the first buyer. Hell just two days ago i got two brand new in the box of the 12" 2010 kicker cvr's(the black ones) from a guy for $140. They are $150 each at best buy!!! He bought them and then couldnt use them but needed cash fast. so i saved $160 bucks and still got two brand new subs still in the boxes(= Another example is a JL 1000/1v2 i got a few months ago for $125 bucks!! no physical flaws just had a bad capacitor in it. had it sent to JL repair which cost 180. so i had $305 invested in an amp that was remanufactured to brand new condition(= go price one! they run over a grand!!!!!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
as far as protecting electrical system i suggest either a batcap or do like i recently did and buy a full digital amp(= which i also got a steal on ebay! i got the pdx-m6 alpine digital amp which pushes out a pure 600 rms at any ohm level and it doesnt even fluctuate my volts when the bass hits! i only paid $200 for it and runs $499 on crutchfield! still looks and performs like new!

·
Registered
123 Posts
8 gauge power wires w/100a anl fuse.
Unless that 8 gauge wire is really short, or you have it double wired, 100a is probably a bit too much for it:

Gauge Wire Chart

If you really need 100a, the easiest and cheapest fix would be just to double-wire it with 8 gauge. Upgrading to 4 gauge would probably be a better idea though. Otherwise I'd go with a smaller fuse.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Unless that 8 gauge wire is really short, or you have it double wired, 100a is probably a bit too much for it:

Gauge Wire Chart

If you really need 100a, the easiest and cheapest fix would be just to double-wire it with 8 gauge. Upgrading to 4 gauge would probably be a better idea though. Otherwise I'd go with a smaller fuse.
its not the wire to fuse combo you need, its the fuse to amp. say that 8 gauge kit can handle 600 watts, the amp does 400 and calls for a 80 amp fuse. then you use a 80 amp fuse. if the amp is doing 600 watts and calls for a 100amp fuse you use the 100amp fuse.

now if you have an amp pushing over 600 watts and that 8 gauge is only rated for 600 then you could start having proplems. always make sure that the wire can handle the amout of power you amp needs and match the fuse to the amp.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In her mustang, previous used stinger wire. 8 Gauge wire and it had a 100a fuse, its taken off and will replace fuse according with amp input amperage.

I myself is running Rockford 1/0 gauge because of my old previous system.

Two t112d4 on T1500-1bd amp drawing almost 130 amps @ 1811W RMS. That system was a beast. Port tuned to 33 Hz. this was the only ported box i made myself. 600w RMS subs taking almost 905w RMS each. Too bad i sold it for 500 bones... =/

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
In her mustang, previous used stinger wire. 8 Gauge wire and it had a 100a fuse, its taken off and will replace fuse according with amp input amperage.

I myself is running Rockford 1/0 gauge because of my old previous system.

Two t112d4 on T1500-1bd amp drawing almost 130 amps @ 1811W RMS. That system was a beast. Port tuned to 33 Hz. this was the only ported box i made myself. 600w RMS subs taking almost 905w RMS each. Too bad i sold it for 500 bones... =/
[wave] hey over here buddy! thats my exact setup now except im using 2 t2 instead of t1. amp is actually out for warranty but my birth sheet for my t1550bd constant power is 1880 1ohm and 1780 2ohm. what was the demension on that box? [?] im needing to build one but trying not to take the entire trunk have to still fit the extra battery, 10 farad digital cap, and amp. i did a 143.9 with a single t212d4 and the 1500bd. box was 2cuft and tuned to about 44hz though. it was my first self built box and i didnt even think about the tuning. checked after it was said and done though.

got any pics of your setup with the 2 12s?

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
^ nice setup there, hopefully getting mine tested soon. there just in a obcon box for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts