Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been mulling around a few different ideas in the upcoming months...My focus is starting to show it's age, and I wont lie, I'm a tad worried. I had thought of finish paying the 900 off on it, and then maybe getting something better, but the economy the way it is I dont' really want to take chances. The other option was to try and get a wrecked car and take the motor-tranny out of it (if it has less miles and runs).

My question is what do you all think would be a better investment in the long run. Since I love my focus and I do have dreams of modding it the only downfall is the fact it's an automatic and I can't get really sporty with that. Does anybody know if there would be a way to make my automatic a manual if I got a motor and tranny from a car? I don't know what it would take, but it was just an idea.

So I guess what I'm asking is what would you do if you were in my shoes, not a ton of $ but want something reliable...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
try posting in the engine/transmission sections, and yes you can do it, but you may be better off just buying one as it could be cheaper.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ok first off. any motor swap will cost around a grand without the engine or trans... one way or another.
this was quoted from hot rod magazine... i assume they know whats up,lol.

i would try to find a donor duratec focus seeing as its a newer motor and makes good power.

here's a list of everything youll need.

engine (and all associated bits with it.)
wiring harness. (your upgrading, why not do a hidden harness while the mill is out of the car.)
ecu (these are pretty motor specific, so grab it.)
5 speed manual transmission. (preferably from the same car you got the engine from bt if not no biggie)
bell housing (different between auto and manual)
svt pedal set (has the clutch on it and the smaller brake pedal. plus they jsut look badass)
clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and associated lines and hardware.
throw out bearing and arm dealy
replacement clutch (perhaps aftermarket)
flywheel (if yours needs replaceing, always do the clutch if possible. it you grabbed the whole shebng from one car jsut inspect it and replace if necessary)
shift cables (youll need them, so get new.)
shifter base (going from an auto to five speed requires this)
short throw shifter (dont skimp, get something good.)
shift knob (weighted, stock, pick one you like)
shift boot. (the inside looks bad without it)
and finally gauges (the duratecs have a different connector than zetecs.

hopefully i covered everything and helped piont you in the the right direction. swapping mills is not for the faint of heart. especailly for a first timer. ive never done it but if your willing to learn and know somone willing to help. then your off to a good start

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How many miles are on the car. I know your thing says 109K, but what is it at now that it's so bad. I'd say your probably better off just doing what mlb said. Just find a low milage mtx for a few grand. No affese, but I don't see why you paid $5k for a 01 w/ 109K on it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 140ish on the car now since I bought it 3 years ago. I bought it because my family has bought numerous cars from that used lot in the past so I got a steal at 5k. The car was listed at 7k on the lot, I managed to get it down to 5...so I was pretty happy. I also had awful credit at that point in time, and it was what I wanted...so I got it.
Now that it's getting paid off, I really would like to make it more sporty, and with an auto it just seems redundant. Theres just no point in upgrading if its not an MTX, in my opinion.

So thats why I was asking if it would be worth it to just do a swap since I know a salvage yard with motors and tranny's in stock. I personally can turn a wrench, but I just dont know much on these new motors (brought up workin on 351's) and my father has replaced a few motors on newer cars so I do have some knowledge. But since we both don't really know the focus inside and out I figured I would ask the community here.

Is it basically just replacing everyting from the seats to the nose? new console, pedals, shifter ass, motor, trans etc?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
No offence but I think they got to much out of you, or maybe I just got a good deal. I bought my ZX3 with 22,000 miles for 11,000. Thats was with all warrenties and what not. Thank god i bought them because my tranny wen't out 3,000 miles later.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Really it all depends on your wallet & intentions w/ the car. If you could get a new daily & keep the fofo do that & just build it. You could prolly get a used 2.0 for several hundred & tranny, or get a new one w/ warr. for a few thousand, but if you go this route I'd say either a bigger engine, or at least a SVT block. Personally if it was me & it wasn't needing a lot of money just constantly dumped into it I would keep it & save as much a possible. Then put some much needed love back into it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
im sure all the internals are fine at 140k as long as you have somewhat taken care of it. if i were you i would just overhaul the stock block an tranny and any piece inside or out thats showing age just replace it with what you would want on there for another 10 years or so, build that focus uv always wanted that will remain functional for another 140k miles

just my thoughts
knox

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
you can do anything with enough money, and i wouldnt bash the atx all that much, there are several guys on here that have modded their atx with great results and if im not mistaken turbo tom did over 400hp with an atx (lentech) with all the time and money it would take to do a swap, you could rebuild go fi and have some fun with what you got aready

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
ok if you are vworried about the auto dnt the sct chip makes the shifts better and autos are prefered for bracket racing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts