Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 01 wagon, bought new have 105k, the car has always been run easy. in the last year, just when its in gear,with a little stress on the engine. like if you are in neutral, and pull into drive, there is a rattle, the idler pulley and alt, and belt tension are all new. also if i accelerate real fast it will rattle a little. i think it might be the timing, belt area'. i have never had it open. is there a belt tension ,that could be bad?? i have a new 14 focus, so the wagon is on light duty. any ideas on this noise, thanks any pictures of this area??????

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea there is a tensioner. I'd replace the belt at the same time. It very well could be a motor mount. Open the hood & have someone start it up & put in gear w/ very slight gas see how the engine rocks around & then see how it rocks in reverse. It could be you need a lower motor mount also called the dogbone. For checking the psm one, take a jack w/ a 2x4 on the saddle & place it on the right side under the motor & slowly jack it up & see how the motor mount is w/ the car on in park.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i never thought motor mount;; its such a matalic rattle ,, but maybe'''' i really hope so, i would rather replace that than a timing chain ass. thanks for the thought;;[:)]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
i never thought motor mount;; its such a matalic rattle ,, but maybe'''' i really hope so, i would rather replace that than a timing chain ass. thanks for the thought;;[:)]
You have a zetec?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Either tensioner/belt or pass side motor mount. The noise can be virtually identical. If you can get it to do it at idle then pop hood and view the tensioner pulley and if dancing around in sync to the noise then tensioner/belt. Tensioner can do it if spring gets weak or older belt stretched to allow same effect. The spring gets low enough tension so that it begins to go into a harmonic around idle and the rapid jumping makes the rattle. If belt loose enough so that the exaggerated tensioner pulley swing then lets tensioner barely hit end limit stop then the noise gets much worse and eventually will break the tensioner arm. The motor mount can make same noise when it dies enough to then let the inside damper disk hit the impact plate hard enough to bear through the rubber insert. The rubber may even be gone. Both noises have about the same frequency, it's tied to the four cylinder's natural tendency to vibrate at idle from the rocking couple all fours do.

I've seen brand new off the shelf tensioners with weak springs in them rattle right out of the box even with a new unstretched belt. To get proper tension the belt MUST be in the proper running range casted on the tensioner body on the better ones.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good info, thanks all;as i said its been doing it for awhile. and i am very sure its not the tension-er, it did it on the last one to'' not sure about everyone else but i have put 4 tensoners on this car, the last one i went with a nappa, instead of autozone,, i kept using autozone because they were free,, but its not a fun job the 3rd time. that's why i thought timing belt,, i never thought motor mount,,, i will check, its not an emergency with this car, since i got my 2014 its been on light duty anyway,,buy the way what a difference in the 01 and 14,why people buy these imports, its because they didn't drive a ford first;;;;;;;;;;[:)]

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
'... i am very sure its not the tension-er, it did it on the last one to...'

Dead faulty logic for that problem, read again what I said.............under certain conditions it can rattle with new belt AND tensioner. If belt off by as little as 1/4" wrong way (smallest size change you can generally get) can do it. Belt must be EXACT to put tensioner arm in correct place. Having the 'correct' belt often does not do that, why you MUST look at where the tensioner arm is riding in the range swing there.

If you won't even bother to look then you aren't going to solve many problems there..........why so many of you out there can't fix anything even when throwing the kitchen sink at it. Putting 50 tensioners will not change a thing if tensioner is not the problem. Same with belt...............you have to THINK..............and put it all together.

Sorry and no insult intended there at all, only the reality of the thing.

New tensioner can rattle from the second you start it up if belt is off due to length even if catalog says it's right. Weak spring on new tensioner will do it too. Many are deficient in that respect. If you can move the arm by hand off the end stop when looking at the part at parts store it is likely too weak. Some move very easily and garbage part. The weaker spring actually aids the tensioner to go into the harmonic pattern that produces the rattling. And the damper that goes inside tensioner to damp out any harmonic? Some brands don't even have one, or engineered to wear out in say a month and common.

I personally would kill for an old school adjustable pulley bracket that then bolts down solid even if I had to adjust the belt once every six months. It would stop 100% of that bullsh-t. One day I'll get PO'd off enough to make one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks AM; whow, you really got me thinking, i did go with a Good Year Gator belt, instead of stock. i was told it was better, and it looked so. now i wonder if its a little larger..that would explain a lot. gona take it of and compare.[thankyou]

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Ooooooooh how I hate gatorback belts............they fray to crack out at the 'trick' grooves, mine only lasted maybe 3 months before shelling out at the cracks and taking out water pump when a piece stuck in the seal to destroy it. A gimmick belt and not worth spit in my view. Funny thing, I predicted when it went on new that it would do that and I wasn't wrong, oh no, not nearly. The remains of belt had cracks in every SINGLE GROOVE there. Cost me a job interview at a really good company as well. I should have told the AZ salesperson to kiss it when he raved about how wonderful they were and premium price too.

NEVER AGAIN. Buyer beware.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts