Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.
I am doing a Vanagon Westfalia conversion called "Bostig" where I replace the 2.1L VW engine with a zetec dohc 2.0L .
I live in Canada and somehow the used engine I got from the yard is a European model. As such my 2.0 does not have a knock sensor.

How is ignition timing done without a KS?
Can it be made to run well without one?

I don't want to abandon this project but how can an engine without a KS run optimally.

The Europeans do it so how do they avoid the use of a KS?
Thanks everyone.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
I wouldnt , More then likely your running the ranger ECU from bostig , I know cause I tune a lot of them , Why they chose that ECU I do not know

I can custom Tune your ECU for you and you can add a knock sensor , I have never seen a Zetec that didnt have a KS Canada and US were both made the same , KS is located on the starter side of the engine and between the starter and the oil sending unit , on a stud with a nut , it has 2 wires

I tune a lot of these

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Yes you are right they are using the Ford Ranger ECU. My engine is still on a stand and I am busy getting it ready to install. Unfortunately the exhaust side of my engine does not have the knock sensor stud and there is no threaded hole to put one in.
So I think if I want to use this engine I will have to go without a KS. How good a tune can I expect without a KS? Somehow they manage without them in Europe. I really don't want to give up on this engine as it has like only 2000 miles on it (apparently and it looks it) and I have installed a high capacity oil pan on it that was a big pain
Thanks for your help.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
Wouldnt be Exh side , would be Intake side

I would go to a Focus wiring harness and ECU , much better keeping in mind the ranger never came with a Zetec Engine and the stock Tune can have great improvements with a Custom Tune

If you choose to use the Ranger ECU just add a knock sensor to it and get a custom tune and it will work

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I meant the intake side. Problem is, there is no stud to mount the knock sensor. Does it need to be in a specific place? Are you suggesting I tap the block so I can mount a sensor.
That's a bit scary for me....
Also do you think there would be other internal engine changes in my engine that would make it not the same as the canadian or US version? In which case I have may have other problems down the road.

Maybe I can epoxy the sensor on?
maybe I'm overthinking this.

Really appreciate the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This engine has a very mysterious pass. I don't know how it ended up in Canada but I am pretty sure its European probably German.
Here is the pic of the intake with the absence of the KS stud.
Txs agaian

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could I maybe just mount a KS to one of those three holes in the pic I posted above. Possibly the upper one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
slightly off topic, but I'm parting out a 2000 focus (your intake tells me yours was an early 2000 model engine). let me know if you need any other engine parts. i can ship.

search Vancouver craigslist for Parting out 2000 Ford Focus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel that is a euro engine for 2 reasons: 1. the VIN number says it is. 2. No knock sensor. My research indicated that european Zetec did not have them on the 2.0 litre.

I do not know what is stuck in that hole. It is factory and painted over. I feels like a rod or maybe a stud, but I don't think its screwed in there.
About 31/2 inches away is a threaded hole that I definitely could mount a KS but don't know if that would work.
txs Jim

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
More then likely if there is a stud/bolt broke off in there it was for the KS

KS has to be in that position for the KS to work properly , Have you thought about going to a Focus ECU vs the Ranger ECU ?

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think anything broke off there. I am sure of it. This is the way the engine came out of the German ford factory.
Going forward I certainly would consider a focus ECU. Question is, can i get a reasonably good tune without the KS?

Just for fun I added the junk yard KS to the lower bolt hole and attached a meter to it. I tapped the engine block with a hammer and sure enough I got a millivolt signal coming from the KS. it was about 35MV. i would imaging that a real knock would boost that number up considerably.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some little bit of metal painted over from the factory. If i were to guess it was part of the block manufacturing process that gets cut off after the cast. Notice also I only have 1 frost plug, every other zetec I have seen has 2.

So...can i get a reasonably good tune without the KS? I could flip to the focus ECU if i had to.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
No , you need the KS or a lot of dyno time

I have seen 1 freeze plug engines but they came in the mid 90`s Contour and early ZX2 and a few other cars , got a picture of the timing belt area ?

I would remove what ever is sticking out and drill and tap the hole for a KS

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, txs. I wonder how the European's tune them without KS's? At any rate
I'm not looking for a performance tune just a good running engine with good economy

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
I Tune in 17 countries and I havent seen one with out a KS in a Ford Focus

It looks from the picture like the stud might be broke off in that hole , No ?

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts