Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to open the hatch without a battery connected (or when central locking is not working)? There's no emergency pull for the hatch (maybe for safety in case someone decides to ride there?).... so, any other way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Install a pull string.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I was hoping there was an easy way as well - since I'm assuming the hatch wiring will eventually disintegrate like on my parents' MK1.

Install a pull string.
Someone will do it eventually! [wiggle]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had this happen the other day - wifes knee knocked the rotating light switch from auto to on - come the next day when she tried to start it the battery was dead.

Thankfully we keep one of those jump start battery kits in the trunk as an 'just in case' - she found out the hard way that the trunk would not open and had to remove the kids car seats and fold the seats back to get the kit out - huge PITA however she was on her way with 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My son's BMW has the battery in the trunk, and the trunk only opens electrically. His battery died completely a few weeks ago, and he found out the hard way that his trunk wouldn't open so he could replace the battery. However, the car does have posts under the hood to jump start it, and we used one of those jump start battery packs attached to the posts to pop the trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I ran into this and found a solution in case anyone else needs it.

Bought a wreck for parts, no battery, no key etc...
Need too open the hatch.
Took a battery from my drill (20V) and 2 pieces of scrap wire,
Climb into the back from the cabin, remove the covers from the handles on the hatch and the 4 7mm bolts holding the back panel in place There are other threads on how to remove the handle covers)
grab one of the handle and jerk it away from the hatch, it will take some doing, but eventually it will come loose
The cover will be stuck around the latch so just pull it away from the top so you can see the back side of the hatch.
There will be a 4 plug pin on top, Jump the first 2 pins with your battery and the solenoid will fire, releasing the hatch
Push it up and climb out the hatch, its easier than going back through the door

Hope this helps someone else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts