Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants to have some fun running "At Speed" around Portland International Raceway, you need to sign up and get your money in to be able to pay the pre-reg price instead of the "at the door" price.

Come out and have some fun!

See http://www.saacnw.org/

and click on "Download track pack" etc., for more information.

Hope to see you guys there.

You don't have to have a suped up car to have fun.

Post if you have any questions you don't see an answer to on the website.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This sounds like a hoot. Do I need to bring my own helmet and gloves, or do they provide them?

Also, how do I put numbers on my car?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a lot of people just use tape, like the blue masking tape for painting, or the regular masking tape if they haven't gone to a sign shop to get some kling on vinyl numbers. yes, you need to have your own helmet and gloves. All of the information is in the "Downloas the Track Pack" link on the www.saacnw.org link home page. Get your money in this week if you want to save some green!
hope to see you there!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Damn, i hope i will be back for the next one later on. Way to go me for moving

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you guys haven't checked the list of people racing, you need to look again! In run group 4, there is a Ford GT that will be running. I will be sure to get video and pictures of it! Don't miss it. If you are going to come just to watch, send an email to Brian Bogden and tell him that you are with Jim Clack. They want to have a handle on attendees.

You guys really need to check it out!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I sent him an e-mail :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are able to come out paul, I will give you a ride. You should come out! Way more fun than drag racing

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well a good time was had by all aside from a new Viper that had it's rear passenger side smack a wall and a 800hp Supra that lost some internals and layed some oil on the track.

I got to give rides to several people durring my on-track times in my run group and the highlight of my day was when I planted my butt in the passenger seat of a Ford GT and got to take some hot laps. It was AWSOME!! That car feels so planted in the corners, you would swear there was magnets on the underside that liked asphault. The acceleration was really impressive. The car had less than 1000 miles on it, so the driver was not really nailing the throttle, but we still did over 120mph on the back stretch.

A friend of mine got to ride with another guy that was racing a new Noble. It is a small lotus looking car that has a turbo V6 for propulsion... he was not dissapointed with his ride either.

Paul showed up and I gave him a ride for one of my sessions. the second session we started in, I got out on the track late and only for 2 laps in, but I think he still had fun.

Sfseals showed up and ran his zx3 on the track and seemed to have a great time. he made the treck all the way from Seattle!! He was able to have an instructor ride with him to help him make the most of his track time and then he got to ride with the instructor in his 944SC. He said he liked being able to explore his car's handling potential. It is pretty cool to know just what all your car is capable of.

So here is the invite for the next track day! It is on Sept 26th. (a Wednesday). Any and all that want to come and race or just get some rides are welcome! Get the day off now! LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Jim for the plug, and for turning me on to this awesome track day. I have had an ear to ear grin on my face since Monday afternoon.

I was able to run 3 sessions in the yellow/novice group, the first 2 with Scott, the above mentioned instructor- as well as ride along with him in his Porsche for 2 sessions in the intermediate group (where Jim was driving). This instruction was extremely beneficial in helping me pick the right lines into the corners during the 3rd session when they cut me loose.

I was very happy with how my relatively stock car handled/performed out there in the midst of some very high-powered vehicles. The Spax 1.4" drop springs/shocks I recently installed had me riding on rails out there, with very little body roll in the corners as the photos can attest. Could use some more power in the straights, but really feel more speed is no substitute for solid driving skills! For this type of track, money is better spent on brakes and suspension.

Here are some photos from my camera as well as the photographer working the track. (Sorry for the watermarks, I haven't paid up for my pics yet!) Included is a shot of the above-mentioned mashed up Viper.

http://www.calle22.net/track

And, apologies to Paul for booting him out on the 3rd lap of session 3 after we were black-flagged twice: the first for not wearing gloves, and the second for Paul's short sleeved shirt. .

See you all again in September!

Rob R.
Seattle WA

·
Registered
650 Posts
lol, ok ok... I am sorry to both of you... I am 100% prepped for next time... gloves, helmet, long sleaves, shoes, socks, jeans the works!!!

Yes I had a GREAT time... and hell I will be out for the next track day!!! w00t

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Jim,

are you going to the track day this year? It has really snuck up fast. How 'bout Paul? Has he got his new clutch yet?

-Rob
Seattle

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, we both should be there.. I still have to send in the track pack with the money tho, so I shouldn't be so sure I still have a spot. LOL
They are limiting it to 60 cars total this time.
I am trying to talk my buddy chris with a zx3 to get signed up too.
Hope to see you there![thumb]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I'm in. On the track pack, it says helmets must meet the newer Snell 95 certification. The motorcycle helmet I used last year is only a Snell 90, so I need to find a Snell 95 decal. LOL!

Also, I noticed there will be no passing on the back straight this year. Bummer...

·
Registered
60 Posts
um.. now I'm actually getting a bit nervous. Do you think they're going to make a big stink about the Snell certification?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, they will check your helmet and it does have to be at least a SA95 helmet... You can go the route of "well they let em use it last year".. lol
and them plead.. [pray]

If they do give you a hard time, let me know and I will see what we can scrounge up for you.

See you there!!

[driving]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, the passing only on the front straight is to try and keep wheel to wheel action to a minimum. Helps with insurance for the track day... oh well

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jim,

It was nice meeting you at the track. FRRIBTR_Foci is my new forum name but I was the guy without my focus that came up to you at the end of the day. My Focus is currently in the shop with the paddles hooked up. I'm not sure if we will be able to bring it back to life or not now. It is being trucked up to Vancouver to get a custom tune job done by Amber.

Doug

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was good to meet you Doug. Do you mean Amber at Fast Specialties? Good Luck with the paddles [:D] I got mine home via trailer and it started up just fine and pulled it off of the trailer.... [rant] . I heard that they got in two more sessions for each run gorup and then they had one last session with everyone... that means I misses a whole hour of track time! [V] All in all, it was a lot of fun. The slicks made it all the better for carving up the corners. I will have my alternator problem ironed out and fixed next time.

It was good that we tested the trailer because on the way to the track with it, we found that one of the tires was going bad! This just a week before my parents were going to use it to trailer the 68' Shelby to Salt Lake for the Shelby convention there. The tire had actually separated and the tread was pulling off of it in several sections. It made for a very bumpy ride to the track where I changed the tire. [wrenchin] Thats me.. wrenching on tires all day.. [:)]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice to see a few fellow Focus enthusiasts at the track again this year.

So they ran all the cars together? Really? Well, at least Jim you had an excuse for cutting out early, unlike me....

Brakes are my next project. Doug, if you could provide a link to more info about your awsome brake system and how you went about installing them that would be terrrific. SVT brakes like Jim's set up would be another good option.

As an aside, I duct taped my cellphone to the rearview mirror and got some pretty good video during the second session of my group run group 4. Problem is it is viewed sidways, as I mounted the camera sideways- and I haven't figured out how to rotate video. Also, at 40mb I dont dare sent it via email.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts