Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to be able to tie a small rope to secure things in the cargo area and noticed two wide open access areas. I am wondering if they are supposed to be wide open access areas or just that some plastic covers are missing. It is strange to have open areas toward the back of the car re exhaust entry if something ever happend to the back exhaust pipes.
I am wondering if they also are part of a vent out design?

I repeat: strange to have open access areas there ... especially if we have dog riding back there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the UNDERside of the the shelf where the cargo cover rests on ... both sides. just behind the cargo bay light and the cargo net upper attachment point [CNUAP] ... (that's focus speak)

that plastic hook at right of photo is the CNUAP... duh.... that's too much even for me.

limited photo do to limits of wide angle .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is like that on both sides. I've never noticed it before, since the area is tucked "up and under". It doesn't appear as though anything is missing, so I think that's how Ford designed it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just checked mine and it is the same as yours. I guess with your red color it is more visible, on the gray color it is not as contrasting so as not visible. I think it might be necessary to prevent condensation forming on cold steel.

·
Registered
781 Posts
yes, that is "normal". there was a previous thread on the same subject. there are no panels to cover up those holes...

·
Registered
364 Posts
OT but...

just out of curiosity, that wing nut looking thing in the OP's pic... isn't that for the rear light housing? to take it off? is there another screw / nut that has to be removed to take off the housing? thinking of replacing the turn signal with stealth bulbs to get rid of the "egg yolk" look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine are open also.

I mounted blue LED's just under the forward end of the opening to help light up the hatch area.

It is sort of hidden, but can be seen if you look for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i checked our Focus and sure enough the open area exists.... one question... did someone stuff you in the "trunk"? lol.... seriously, I am VERY anal and it doesnt bother me at all.[loveff]

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow, yeah, would probably have never noticed unless I was looking to tie something down. I suspect it has something to do with air flow? Can't imagine why they would leave it open otherwise.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking it was for a quick access storage of "something" needed when camping.

Sort of a secret, but quickly accessible stash/hide-out area.

Someplace that us golden agers don't need anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm thinking it was for a quick access storage of "something" needed when camping.

Sort of a secret, but quickly accessible stash/hide-out area.

Someplace that us golden agers don't need anymore.
I like the way you think. +1 rep![loveff]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts