Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 focus zx5. i noticed (heard) people having "open headers" on their cars. how do i apply this to my focus?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just cut the exhast pipe after the header. I wouldn't recommend it though due to no back pressure, and the emissions laws here in Atlanta.

·
Random Guy #31
1,861 Posts
yeah dont do it... it just sounds too loud and really annoying. you might be better off getting y pipe electric cut out for your exhaust if you really want to do.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
An open header is one of the most horrid sounding things ever on a fairly stock car .... and by stock I include all of the normal bolt ons.

An open header means you have NO exhaust other than the header itself.

·
Registered
888 Posts
take off your exhaust that backs up to the header... but on a stock focus there is no reason why you should want to do that.
1. as it is very,very loud
2. your engine is designed to have back pressure from exhaust gasses as they exit the car. If there isn't any back pressure, you could do some serious damage to your car very quickly, (correct me if im wrong but, you could burn up your pistons and rings, and destroy other internal parts)

<-----this was my satan post (#666)

·
Registered
331 Posts
^^agreed,
at least on these forums, that is very frowned upon, just search exhaust or anything related to that word on here, and you will get (what seems like) thousands of results discussing good setups that will give you a very clean and refined looking and sounding exhaust system....

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If you really want to, unhook your cat and have fun. It won't be fun and you'll more than likely get pulled over immediately.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Your motor needs backpressure or you will burn up your valves. However, if you are running your cat still, there should be enough back pressure from that. However, as stated above, its going to sound like [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] and you will get pulled over.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you will gum up the valves so quick, and we only have one header!!

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
I have A Dump Valve on a Flip Switch instant Straight Header or Full FocusSport Stealth Exhaust.... if the whine of the supercharger isnt enough.

EXTREMELY LOUD But Deep with a Built motor and cams I have no idea how horrid it would sound stock.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
One, it's a header, singular.
Two, it's Federally illegal. EPA stipulates that you must have all factory emissions equipment on a vehicle that you drive on public roadways.
Three, it's loud as hell and very annoying to other motorists if not to you also.
Four, the afore mentioned backpressure issues and associated burnt exhaust valves.
Five, there is no measurable power gains vs a well designed exhaust.

·
Registered
459 Posts
OK, just to clarify: You will NOT burn up valves, rings, pistons, gum up valves, or any of that other nonsense. To say that will happen is a flat out lie. You can run an open HEAD (I mean just the head!) if you so desire, with no ill effect. Also, an engine doesn't need backpressure. It's the lack of scavenging that hurts your low end torque.

With that out of the way; Your car will sound horrible and be obnoxiously loud. If that's how you like it, then by all means do what you want! As previously stated, though, it's illegal. Run at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
it will work no doubt about it. but its a 4 cylinder it will sound like sh!t, you will wake up the whole neighborhood to name a few of the bad. nothin good will come from this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts