Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made a custom inatke manifold and since its out of metal I need to fabricate one of those plastic 1/8" thick gaskets so that it wont transfer heat. Is there some local material that can be purchased from a hardware store, has anyone done this before? I need something that can endure 500F and hold pressure and is safe arround gasoline.
I know they make these for hondas but could not find anything for the Zetec, I need to go custom I guess.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Why not just use the stock style gasket??

Thats what I have on mine.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I have used the gasket making material that you can buy from like Advance Auto Parts. We used it to make intake gaskets for a dual Weber carb setup that was on a VW. Just sprayed it with Permatex spray Copper Coat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the gasket I'm talkin about only for honda, I wish somebofy knew the material of it, my friend had his for a while on his civic and I looked at it, its greatest thing ever. Does not burn reusable and molds to the shape so it prevents air leaks.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The only thing i know you could do to somewhat make it conduct less heat is make one from aluminum or phenolic material. Both would require being machined or handmade. Why are you that concerned with heat transfer at that point? Just curious.

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Reguardless of what you use between the intake manifold and the head it will still be the same temp as what the head is , If your head is 200 your intake will be 200 no way around it

Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tom its not a drastic drop in heat, its maby like <10% at the most.
Well the reason I'd like a gasket like that is because I'd like my manifold to seal up against the head.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well on ebay there are these guys that clame to make focus intake manifold gasket.
I even contacted them but they are still misrepresentin their item, really pissed off about that.
Here is the link:

""""http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05-Ford-Focus-2-0-ZX3-and-ZX5-Intake-Px3-Gasket-2pcs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33668QQihZ014QQitemZ330015773190QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW"""""

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
If it is BOLTED with bolts and the intake is located under the hood it will be as hot as the head there is NOTHING you can put between the head and the intake to change this

We have a plastic intake anyway not Alum like the honda you talked about so it runs slightly cooler already , Stop looking for things like this that do nothing but help make your wallet smaller and work on the things that work to make HP

Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tom you missed my initial post, I have a aftermarket custom steel intake manifold with a TB side mounted on the right side. I am turboing my car so a gasket that will seal imperfections in the manifold would be nice

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Yes i see that again sorry, Still does not change the fact thet it will get just as hot as the head if it is bolted to it reguardless of the type of gasket

If your looking for it to seal better , I would surface it to make sure it is flat then make a gasket or i have some already made for the Ford Racing intakes

Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You probably have some of them laying arround in your shop, how mutch do you want for that gasket?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts