Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 03 SVT a week or so ago and i changed my oil today. I looked in focus manual and it said to use 5w 20 for zetec engines. I didnt even SEE the SVT specific manual in the pamphlet till just now. Upon further inspection, it looks like i am suppose to use 5w 30 super premium motor oil. Now i JUST changed the oil, like about and hour ago and the car has only run for maybe 1-2 min total with this oil in it. Could any damage have been done? What should i do now, drain the oil asap and put some 5w 30 in it? Will i have to replace the oil filter as well since it has now been "soiled" by the 5w 20? Thanks for your patience with this SVT noob [:p]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
In all likelyhood, you won't hurt anything. The most compelling arguments I've heard for sticking to 5W30 are

a) the SVT system, which relies on oil pressure somehow or another, and
b) Ford may have legal grounding to void your warranty if you happened to have a problem that could be pinned on oil. I stress "may", there's no good reason they would, and its such an outside shot its almost ridiculous, but I have to believe if Ford could use that as a legal excuse to avoid warranty work they would.

I'll be curious to see what other owners say though. If it were me I'd just run the oil for 3-5k like I always do and drain it out, replace with 5W30 and call it a day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run mine on 5w20 every day , so no nothing is going to happen to your ride.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just change it out during your next interval.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I used 5W-20 once...the premium blend....never knew it till the next change when i was gonna use the half bottle I had left....it was 20 weight....."HUH" I thought....no noticeable difference I coud tell........

should be FINE [thumb]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I doubt you'll have any issues from running a cycle of 5w20. Castrol is a decent oil.

·
Registered
666 Posts
10w30?? Thats the oil every old timer insists on....They also insist on quaker state. Why not use 530?? Its pretty much the industry std. oil viscocity. Judging by the 1030 you use, you obviously have some form of old(er) chevy. The chevy (GM, rahter) people tend to be the ones that insist on 1030.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I disagree. On another forum I had quite a few Subi and Porsche guys who race flame me for daring to suggest to someone that recycled oil was fine in thier car so long as it met spec. It seems that there are a lot of people with high perf vehicles that run heavier weight synthetic or semi-synthetic. Personally, I think 5w30 or 5w20 is fine, especially when the weather gets cooler.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I read the diff between 5W and 10W for cold clmiates, were talking needed in -20 temps. Til then its not much affect. I'll have to find it, Im probably completely misquoting the tech article I read.

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
I ran 5W20 before over 5W30 (not knowing it) in my car last summer. I ran two autocrosses on the car, and I never had issues with metal shavings or oil pressure fluctuations for using a lighter weight in place of the heavier weight oil for more extreme driving conditions. I wouldn't worry as stated and just change back to 5W30 for the next oil change.

It's only suggested to run 10W30 depending on your climate's temperature range. Unless you're approaching freezing or below freezing temperatures, you really wouldn't ever need a 5Wxx or 0Wxx oil.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've been running 5w30 myself for about 2 years and have had no problems.
Only reason, I cant find Mobil 1 5w20 where I live.

·
Registered
20 Posts
5w20 is a lighter weight than 10w or 20w. its great in the winter when cold start oil temps are low. cold oil is thick, and variable cam timing and thick oil dont mix. stepping up to 10w in the summer is not a problem. 10 w also has more protection when you drive it like you stole. its the same relative viscosity 5w is cold. you would be suprised at the difference in thickness between 5w and 20w at 60 degrees. the second number represents the range of viscosity. 5w20 has less tolerence for thermal breakdown than 20w50. 20w50 is heavy and puts more drag on moving parts like cranks and cams. mobil 1 and castrol syntec are considered to be the best. they are both factory recommended brands by automakers.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
mike 1 said:
10w30?? Judging by the 1030 you use, you obviously have some form of old(er) chevy.
I do own an older Chevy....s10 with a 350, but I'm using 15w50 Mobil 1 in it...

I've just run 10w30 in everything I've ever owned with the exception of my 4x4 that had 160xxx miles on it.

Personaly, I think 5w20 is too thin for the Southern heat here in Alabama, thats why I don't use it, but as long as the oil gets changed every 3k miles, it doesn't matter what oil you use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts