Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah he is on here he posted that video in a thread, car look so BEAST, I love the comp orange SVT !
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what size do you guys think these rims and tires are?!?! and what kind are they? i kno they are mustang rims.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
what size do you guys think these rims and tires are?!?! and what kind are they? i kno they are mustang rims.
Hey sorry off topic but are you ever in elyria ohio? saw a red svt like mine a couple times around like a month or so ago

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
17x8 I think and they are cobra r reps

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umm idk really where that is at or near? but im around cincy ALL the time clifton, blue ash, montgomery.. yea lol

but ive been checkin out the prices on these rims and they arnt bad at all.. about the some for replacement svt wheels mb 20-30$ more per wheel.. ugh i wish the owner would get on here and tell me LOL 17x8 mb.. but those wheels look a good 2" away from the bumper/fender.. and we have 17x7 stock.. im need a side pick of one lowered on stock wheels to see i think.. cuz that thing looks CHUNKY!! i need to get this!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rims look great but the tire stretching is awful....and arguably dangerous. It's a general understanding that rims that wide do not accomodate tires that narrow... you run the risk of popping the bead off the rim while cornering and of course the rims are succeptable to all kinds of damage due to the tire not reaching the edge to protect it. Ironically, the tires mounted on those rims have a "rim saver" edge on them that is designed to stick out further than the edge of the wheel.

Good looking car, absolutely ignorant use of tire/wheel combination.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rims look great but the tire stretching is awful....and arguably dangerous. It's a general understanding that rims that wide do not accomodate tires that narrow... you run the risk of popping the bead off the rim while cornering and of course the rims are succeptable to all kinds of damage due to the tire not reaching the edge to protect it. Ironically, the tires mounted on those rims have a "rim saver" edge on them that is designed to stick out further than the edge of the wheel.

Good looking car, absolutely ignorant use of tire/wheel combination.
http://youtu.be/MmAZ48s4i6s

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Was going to post that... Haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh... well that certainly proves its safe. End of discussion. I'd better alert the rest of the automotive community of this fantastic demonstration of how it's absolutely not possible for the wrong size tire to debead or damage a rim. Well done.
I've asked this to many other stretch haters and have yet to have gotten an answer....

Show me a video, news story, personal account, where a stretched tire has come off the lips of a wheel and caused an accident.

I think I'm going to go on all the 4x4 forums and tell those guys to stop running over sized tires because they come off the wheel all the time. [facepalm]

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Small list for this setup(may not be exactly what he is running)1. To get that drop coilovers 2.cobra reps 17x9 +24 and 205/40/17 tire. 3. Camber/toe arms for the rear. And some camber for the front. Fender rolling a must to get a nice hugged fit. Im planning on running a 17x8 +20 wheel soon for a little less poke.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've asked this to many other stretch haters and have yet to have gotten an answer....

Show me a video, news story, personal account, where a stretched tire has come off the lips of a wheel and caused an accident.

I think I'm going to go on all the 4x4 forums and tell those guys to stop running over sized tires because they come off the wheel all the time. [facepalm]
1) I have no video and no desire to search for one. Same goes for a news story. I have seen stretched tires come off the bead, so there is my personal account but something tells me you won't accept it as valid proof. It didn't cause an accident....but it did ruin his wheel, his day and his credibility for not doing foolish things.

2) If you don't understand the differences between having a tire too wide for the rim and a rim too wide for the tire - there isn't enough text in the world to help ya. While you are trolling the 4x4 boards, ask them what a beadlock is. Then ask yourself why their tires don't come off the wheel all the time. Your palm will surely find your face.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Stretched tires have absolutely no practical use. They are a stupid aesthetic trend like rusty hoods, LED washer nozzles and park bench spoilers. Difference being of course that a rusty hood won't damage anything else or potentially cause you to lose control.

I guess I'm used to car communities concerned more with practical modifications that improve the way the car performs instead of aesthetic mods that serve no function other than "lookin' dope yo!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been around race tracks and have had tires come off...usually because the pressure dropped off when a bead pulled away. We used to take sheet metal screws and screw thru the rim into the bead (beadlocks) if the combo wouldn't stay on (if we could get away with it). But I've never seen a serious racecar with stretched rubber on a circuit track because sidewalls weren't meant to drive on and the tech inspections would never clear it. A loaded tire in a corner looks like a stretch and it's no stretch to realize that the loads being placed on the bead and sidewall of a tire in a hard corner are huge....so, in my world, I never staked my life on a tire/wheel mismatch. If the tire is the right size and deflates, it's not going to wander between the rims as much and the car can be controlled far better than if it wasn't the right size.
If you check the codes on the sides of the tires, you'll find the info that will lead to the manufacturers recommended wheel sizes along with the speed ratings, pressures, loads etc.. And if you go to the tire manufacturers' website, you'll find the warnings about incorrect wheel sizes. They are clear and specific for legal reasons. And that should mean something.
NorCal, I'm not going to insult you or anyone else that goes this way- you already know all this information, but the trend you're supporting is sketchy. Sure, the look is interesting in a cool custom kind of way, and the look probably came from radically low profile race tires w/large wheel combinations that are not available for our rides, but with the unexpected variables of everyday driving (potholes, debris, emergency maneuvering, etc) that can change the connection between your cars wheels and tires without warning, you, your passengers, and everyone around your car can get hurt in the event of an accident, and because you're knowingly driving an improperly prepared car, you could get sued by everybody involved....even your friends, if it's found a tire failure was involved.
But it do look cool[hihi]don't it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
idk if anyone was watchin the vid but hes not riding on his sidewall.. there is plenty of rubber meeting the road and none of it is on the sidewall.. the tire is streched at the sidewall nowhere else "so y so angry!?" LOL! i dont see how riding this wheel/tire combo is "dangerous" its juss as bad as running oversized rims with skinny low pro tires that have 1/2" sidewall.. correct me if im outta my mind?!?!

·
Registered
497 Posts
idk if anyone was watchin the vid but hes not riding on his sidewall.. there is plenty of rubber meeting the road and none of it is on the sidewall.. the tire is streched at the sidewall nowhere else "so y so angry!?" LOL! i dont see how riding this wheel/tire combo is "dangerous" its juss as bad as running oversized rims with skinny low pro tires that have 1/2" sidewall.. correct me if im outta my mind?!?!
Hate to break it to ya .. but you're outta your mind. Low aspect ratio tires on huge rims are actually proven to meet DOT standards.. even as shitty as they look....tires on the wrong rims are not, however. Sticking a square peg in a round hole doesnt make you a genius, it proves you're retarded.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
OK all, we don't need another stretch and poke hater/argument thread. There are those that like it and there are those that don't. We get that if you don't like the look don't look at threads that promote it. It is a style that has been around for years now and people ar going to do it.

Me personally don't like it and would not put it on my car but there are others that do and it looks good on there cars.

Enough said.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts