Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it's possible to have ONLY the fogs on?

My cars has daytime running lights; i'm wondering if maybe the device/switch that keeps my headlights on all the time could be made to keep my fog lights on all the time...

Dan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now there are three positions for the light switch.

1) Off - just headlights in low voltage mode.
2) Running lights - Yellow Lights (turn sgnals) + low power head lights
3) On - Headlights and yellows

Fogs work in 2 & 3, the switch does not allow them to turn on when it is in the OFF position.

Ideally I'd like to be able to turn on the fog lights when everything else is off, especially those damn yellow things.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done the "fog light mod" but this means I still have to turn on the running lights. The only difference this makes is I can turn on my fogs when the headlights are in the low power mode (or w/ High Beams).

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i think even w/ the foglight mod the oranges are on. dont remember, y is this so neccessary?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
for real your not driving a gm, they automaticlay do that i loved that in my truck, but i soon got over it, just drive with your lights on, or not! if u figureit out let me know!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much is necessary for my car to get me where I'm going... However it does look pretty cool when only the fog lights are on, that's all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
you could do it. all it would require is cutting the fog light wires from the factory switch, and making a new switch jsut for the fogs. this would only work if you already did the fog light mod. the only reason you cant do this now, is because with the stock switch, you have to turn it to the parking lights to pull it out. so routing the wires to a new switch would solve this.

·
Registered
571 Posts
can be done, but you need to disable the DTRL first.
here's the deal, like you said the switch has the 3 positions. only mistake in what you said, the fogs do not come on in postion 2. yes the switch pulls out, but if you actually check, they do not come on (at least in mine, its possible your's is different, i suppose...). Thats where the independent fog light mod comes in. That mod makes it so the fogs DO come on in position 2. now the only problem, our dtrl. if you disable the dtrl, then the head lights are completely off in position 2, so you then have just your park lights on, and can then turn on the fogs thanks to the handy dandy independent fog light mod.

for the dtrl, there is a relay in the engine compartment fuse box that'll disable it. i forget which one, but i'll find out and let ya know... i yanked that bitch out a few months ago.

now, if you're gonna be real picky and dont want the park lights on with the fogs, there i cannot help you...

hehehe, oops. just noticed your "especially those damn yellow things" remark. guess i cant help ya. i personally like the look of just havin the park and fog lights on however...

·
Registered
571 Posts
sitlet said:
you could do it. all it would require is cutting the fog light wires from the factory switch, and making a new switch jsut for the fogs. this would only work if you already did the fog light mod. the only reason you cant do this now, is because with the stock switch, you have to turn it to the parking lights to pull it out. so routing the wires to a new switch would solve this.
wouldn't solve a thing. DTRL are on ALL THE ****** TIME. its annoying as hell. the seperate switch for th fogs would still leave the headlights on.

EDIT: hmm, wait a sec...

since he doesn't want the park lights on either.... i think we've come across a solution together. disable the dtrl (i'll get that relay # for ya) , then put a new switch on the fogs, so you can turn them on in position 1... which after disabling the dtrl, will have all you'r lights completely off....[thumb]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've done the fog light mod, sorry, I should have mentioned that initially.

Maybe I can "modify", i.e. break, the light switch so the fogs can be turned on while all other lights are off. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Not much is necessary for my car to get me where I'm going... However it does look pretty cool when only the fog lights are on, that's all.

how do you know it looks "cool"???? your hopefully driving behind the wheel and can't see it.. trust me... others who can see it....they really don't give a rats ass. Not to mention that a cop with a bad attitude could maybe give you a ticket because the proper lights aren't on. Or if you forget to turn on some lights and your driving with none on.. a cop will definately ticket you

·
Registered
571 Posts
vanace said:
Not to mention that a cop with a bad attitude could maybe give you a ticket because the proper lights aren't on. Or if you forget to turn on some lights and your driving with none on.. a cop will definately ticket you
um... if your refering to him not havin dtrl on driving in Canada, theres no ticket for it. the vehichles are required to have it enabled when they are sold, what you do with it after is your business. and as far as definitly getting a ticket for driving with none on? when was the last time you forgot to turn your headlights on at night? let's give him some credit here...

and who really cares if no one else gives a damn? i'm sure 95% of the people who se your car could give less than a damn about your $1000 rims or if you've debadged you're car or not... since when do we do this stuff for other people? honestly, the vast majority of people dont look twice at a civic with 700 F&F decals on it either.... he wants his fog lights on indepently, so be it. doesn't effect you or i in the slightest. help if ya got any ideas, otherwise....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vanace said:
how do you know it looks "cool"???? your hopefully driving behind the wheel and can't see it.. trust me... others who can see it....they really don't give a rats ass. Not to mention that a cop with a bad attitude could maybe give you a ticket because the proper lights aren't on. Or if you forget to turn on some lights and your driving with none on.. a cop will definately ticket you
I'm sorry, I guess I should have said "I think, perhaps, that I would enjoy the look of the front of my vehicle more if..."

Hell, why do anything to your car, why even wash it? No one else gives a rat's ass.

Thanks for the supprt there dave30.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dtrl Relay is R12, the one directly in front of the foglight relay. Remove it and dtrls are gone, now the headlamps only come on when they are turned on...

Fogs work in the middle position but those damn orange bastards are still there; I don't think they can be gotten rid of unless I rewire the foglights to a new switch.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
do it and post pics...oh yes make a new switch, and you splice the foglights so they can work either way

i skipped all the other stuff and read the lae post...they prob already said this!

·
Registered
523 Posts
:) I have it done. Only now my fogs are my DTRLs. What you do is after you do the foglight mod, and pull out the DTRL relay, you hook a new wire into the DTRL space and run it to your foglight mod wires. It's been like that for 4 months now with absolutely no problems. I'll see about grabbing a picture for you if anyone's interested.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts