Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our 2002 ZTS (about 43500 miles) has been having problems related to the issues brought up in the "Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix" thread. We've already brought the car into the shop multiple times, and they've replaced the Transmission Harness along with A and C solenoids (they're really nice to us and after the initial charge for the C replacement have not charged for labor or parts since then).

However, the issue of clumsy shifting when the car warms up (especially in stop-go traffic) and losing 4th gear / overdrive when that begins is still there. We still have a CEL and the favored exclamation point also pops up once in a while too. We've tried resetting the transmission computer with a battery pull, but the smooth shifting only works for like 10 miles.

Original codes (I forgot the Numbers) triggered errors related to Solenoid C (Stuck), and an improper 2nd and 4th gear ratio (each gear pulled up a separate error code).

Has anyone gotten the 2nd/4th gear ratio error? And anyone have any solutions that they or a dealer have presented?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If the TPS and/or the Range Sensor is out of adjustment or bad, the shift solenoids won't work properly as they'll be getting bogus information. Those are the first two things to check for proper operation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have almost the exact same problem. I get code P0761 (shift solenoid C) on my 2003 ZX5 (98,000 miles). If I reset the codes, it will be fine for a bit until I get into traffic where the trans light and/or CEL will come on and it will start shifting funny. It also will sometimes not shift into overdrive. Sometimes the downshift from 2nd to 1st is very hard (clunks).

I have replaced both A and C solenoids. Have not yet replaced the transmission wiring harness.

iminhell, do you have anymore details on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor?) and Range Sensor?

Pretty new to the Focus community (just got mine a couple months ago), so any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ZX5blur - Haven't had any success lately as we've had no time to drive the darn thing in. Let me know what your dealer says to you (seriously, thanks in advance!). Did you also get the weird ratio code that we got?

And a side note too, a way I find that I can get over this while the transmission is still cold, is I use as much of 1st and 2nd gear as possible to get to my speed, release the accelerator and let the transmission drop to 4th and then use 4th to target my speed and cruise (but that just sucks usually at lower speed city traffic). However, it usually lengthens the period until the transmission starts losing overdrive and stumbling over gear changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Alright, so just wanted to post my results. The dealer did a full scan while driving and all of the solenoids were functioning correctly. They suspect it it is a servo and control on the trans, but you would have to drop the trans to replace it, $1200-$1400, and I'm not really up for doing it myself. With almost 100k on the car, they were also concerned that the discs/bands in the trans might be pretty well worn. They actually recommended putting in a bottle of Lucas Transfix hoping that it might seal up were it is leaking past the servo and get more life out of it. They said it could probably go for a long time if it's driven pretty easy. It's actually been driving fine since (haven't been doing much driving in traffic lately either). Best of luck to everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts