Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was in the dealers for a week where they replaced the right front strut and bearing. They also checked everything with some audio equip. Bottom line..the annoying low speed rattle is still present.

Any suggestions out there? Getting very frustrated since there are no apparent answers. The dealer really doesn't know what to do?

·
Banned
127 Posts
Does it happen when you are standing still and u turn the wheel left and right a liitle bit. I have a noise and it sounds like something is binding, Happens when car is off too...

G

·
I got the same problem around 20mph and also got a pulsating vibration between 50 and 70 mph.The car is in the shop and they think something's loose in the powertrain and transmission.I got the powershift tranny.Only got the car a few days and regret getting that stupid half baked transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you describe the rattle? I am hearing a seriously annoying light "hollow plastic" noise. Oddly enough I don't hear it on broken or rough pavement...only on relatively smooth pavement. The sound is also exaggerated at low speeds (5 mph) over broken pavement. Just wondering if this is the same thing you are hearing...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine's more of clunking sound. It's only noticeable on rough roads (very common in Mich) at 10 mph or less. Once you know it's there it is very annoying. You can turn up the radio, but a brand new car shouldn't have these issues. 10 days at the dealer and counting!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have that problem too. I have taken it into the shop and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I changed my oil, and while it was up, I looked at what I could, and I couldn't find anything that was loose. So, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This happens to me ALL THE TIME!!! Especially when just starting off the line. Obviously its not a large problem (unless the wheels eventually fall off or something)but a new car shouldn't have problems like this right off the lot. For comparison, my 15 year old Cadillac never rattled at all; like ever in its life. This new Focus is a wonderful car, but Ford really has some quality control issues to work out. I hope there's a recall or at least an easy fix for whatever is causing this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the problem and it was the struts. When they were finished I drove home in a quiet 3 level below underground and heard a banging or rattling sound.

Now after about a month I notice it is only when the car has warmed up and never when cold in the morning, I wonder if it could be the Kraysor vents the open and close in front of the Radiator, and they only rattle in the open position.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine's more of clunking sound. It's only noticeable on rough roads (very common in Mich) at 10 mph or less. Once you know it's there it is very annoying. You can turn up the radio, but a brand new car shouldn't have these issues. 10 days at the dealer and counting!
Yup... I experience this too. Feels like a ball joint is going or something. Might just be harder (less forgiving) style bushings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same frustrating rattLe

Had my Titanium in four times now. Twice I got the "could not duplicate problem" junk they all spit out. I don't even have to leave the parking lot and I can hear the same annoying light/hollow rattle. They decided it was a bad strut and replaced it today. I picked my car up an hour ago and TaDah! The same rattle. I can't believe they handed me the keys and told me it was fixed. I LOVE my car but am agitated with this situation. I told them to keep it again and drove off in a freaking rental car minivan. [smackbum]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most likely it's the chocks that go in the springs during shipping. They probably forgot to take it out. It's very common for people to overlook that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same issue. I am afraid to put on new wheels until this rattle is fixed. I dont want to give the dealer a reason to blame it on the aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It depends where it is. It could be between the springs, just lift up the car and take it out if you see it. Or it could between the strut and the mount.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Most likely it's the chocks that go in the springs during shipping. They probably forgot to take it out. It's very common for people to overlook that.
Yeah, except that probably isn't the issue.

This is the same rattle/clunk that I've been dealing with on my car since ~600 miles (at 6000 now), and I know that there's nothing in my springs. I've personally had the car into the dealer three times; I had the shop team leader drive the car, had the service manager ride with me, and of course the noise disappears with the additional weight of another person in the front passenger seat. They claim to either not recognize the noise, or that whatever they do hear is normal.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts